Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sorry if I'm kicking a dead horse... air filter Q

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2005 | 05:26 PM
DustinTarditi
Instructor

Default Sorry if I'm kicking a dead horse... air filter Q

OK - I tried a search on this and other forums, as well as the web at-large...

I am interested in a less restrictive airflow for a little performance and a nice sound (my 911 CIS airbox was "drilled" for such an effect by the PO.).

I have heard pros and cons regarding K&N, over oiling, drilling the box, etc.

Is there a problem with water intrusion and an exposed element air filter?

My C4 is my DD, so I will (gasp) drive it in the rain

I am considering either a cone or cup-style (open face) with K&N or other aftermarket filter.

The car is a 1990 C4.

Thanks!
Old 11-29-2005 | 06:06 PM
Smokin
Three Wheelin'

I have the cone K&N filter on mine. I rarely drive in the rain but the times I have... I never had a problem with it.
Old 11-29-2005 | 07:13 PM
last toy
Burning Brakes

Hey Rick, did you do all those mods on your car? I have a guards red as well and I like what you did with yours. I'm just starting to look into upgrades. Probbaly will start with springs and shocks and lower it a bit. Did you get the aero front spoiler and rear spoiler as a package? What exactly is an Andial Racing engine. Have anymore pictures. Hope you don't mind me using your car mods for prototyping mine. Better yet, why don't you just send me your car and I'll send mine to you and you can have fun starting all over again. Really, nice work.
Old 11-29-2005 | 09:29 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

I have a Fabspeed cup airbox - the more expensive version of a drilled airbox.

Having driven in rain and snow (plus washed the car), I can confirm that the stock (paper) air filter does not get wet so don't worry about it.

Marc
Old 11-30-2005 | 12:28 AM
Smokin
Three Wheelin'

Don... A lot of the mods were done by the prior owner. Andial Racing in California rebuilt the engine, prepped the heads, swapped in RS cams and put one of their chips in. They also put in the springs and shocks. (I think I'd like a little softer ride... I'll have to swap rides with someone else who likes their setup to see.) The rear spoiler was on the car when I got it as well. I also received the original rear decklid but sold it on ebay. I believe I bought the front bowplane from www.rennspd.com if I'm not mistaken. I've done a few cosmetic mods and a few safety... I put in a chromed halon fire extinguisher, clear trun signals, Rennline aluminum pedals, SS sillplates, cylinder head temps guage in place of the spoiler switch, which I didn't need.

Yes I have a ton of pics... If you PM me your email address I can send you some... (Hope you have cable Internet access!) But it may take me a few days. Either that or we can start a "Post pictures of your mods" thread! That may be a better idea!
Old 11-30-2005 | 01:02 AM
MARC A. 964 C4

964 Cup Performance Airbox - $175 Fabspeed
I've seen the light or air filter!! I've asked for shipment to France, if I get it, I'll let you know, what do you look like, are you That UGLY?? OR THAT, GOOD LOOKING??
Old 11-30-2005 | 03:03 AM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

You have to be EXTREMELY careful when you install the Fabspeed cup style airbox cover. 99% of the time it will deform when you clamp it to the airbox and cause the filter to warp leaving a small space around the edge for unfiltered air. The only way to notice this is if you put a mirror behind the airbox cover or if you drop the engine (I tried OE & OEM filters). The factory airbox cover has stiffening ribs that prevent the cover from deforming. I'm guessing that because of the way it was manufactured (vacuum forming?) they couldn't include the stiffening ribs?
Old 11-30-2005 | 03:14 AM
MARC A. 964 C4

Jason, how is it you know so much? Your words of wisdom are always a treat to read, thanks for the info! And you were ahead of everyone, "I know what you’re looking like", thanks for setting me on the straight and narrow,. Marc
Old 11-30-2005 | 09:23 AM
DustinTarditi
Instructor

99% of the time it will deform when you clamp it to the airbox
So, perhaps a cone is better in that regard?
Old 11-30-2005 | 09:48 AM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by DustinTarditi
So, perhaps a cone is better in that regard?
Yes, but 1% of the time they work very well - especially if you install them carefully.

Marc
Old 11-30-2005 | 10:21 AM
last toy
Burning Brakes

Rick, I like your idea of posting a thread for mod pics. I'm sure there will be no lack of responses and the ideas woul dbe great for future refernece. Do you want to start it off since I really don't have that much exterior to show yet. On another note, I thought I saw in a prior post thta you had an interest for a turbo 964. What do you think of the black 91 for sale in the Classified link for $ 38,500.
Old 11-30-2005 | 11:23 AM
MARC A. 964 C4

Confirmed by Fabspeed via email, they have everything for me, WHAT SHOULD I DO ?? In my wild, free and easy youth, of Mazda MX5 Tuning*, thanks to internet, and my plastic card, I was able to transform my Orig. spec, 1.6 ltr., into Tuning Show Winner, here in France,( 7 Best Of,.. ),. Now,.. Old and grey, hands trembling,. I’m afraid of my 3.6 ltr., and yet the time has come!! I WANT MORE AIR!! I had gone K&N Typhoon, changed the cone for more shine, added a cold box, and some direct air-to hosing, blah, blah, but the end result was really, "jour et nuit" ,.. I loved it!! Some say cone, Fabspeed, drill holes or stay as is,.. PLEASE, HELP A LOST ONCE UPON A TUNER, NOW A BORN AGAIN ORIGINAL SPEC’ER!! Thanks,..

*Several years ago

Old 11-30-2005 | 12:26 PM
Slappy
Racer

Gary R. has the Fabspeed air box cover on his car ... it was in my car before I bought the car from him (he wanted it back ... hehe) so I know what it sounds like when WOT.

We/I looked it ... We/I then took out my stock airbox ... got out the dremel ... and I went to town.

I neatly trimmed out ALL the plastic from the cover, less approx. 1 inch or so, from the outside edge. I even cut around the "horn" leaving that in place. When WOT, you CANNOT tell the difference between the two. Even looking at it in the engine bay, it's hard to see what I did.

My cost $0.00 ... Fabspeed $175.00 ... you do the math.

Yes the Fabspeed looks cool, but for $175.00 ... well, thats the cost of the front splitter that I want to put on my car next spring and that is something that can be admired ALL the time.
Old 11-30-2005 | 12:38 PM
MARC A. 964 C4

Okay, go to JKF, there's a ticket for you, but hurry, a flight leaving in 15 mins!! I need that Doctor's touch and steady hand,.. So you simply, removed, cut, and tore the town apart, I'll have a look, but I've gone so far already, I hate cutting a corner, as they say in Stamford, Ct. Thanks for the info, let me tell you, the Mazda was easy, and less expensive, DO YOU THINK, owning a 911/964 should be more expensive?? (joke!!)
Old 11-30-2005 | 12:38 PM
andrew911
Three Wheelin'

For me the fabspeed was the way to go. If/when I sell my car I can return it to full stock since I didn't drill any holes, and I can sell the Fabspeed on ebay or something. That's where I bought it used anyway I am still using the stock air filter since I didn't want to mess around with any filter oil, and the real HP gain from K&N is probaly 0.002 HP.

I was solely interested in the sound difference with the fabspeed mod- didn't expect any power difference and didn't get any

Quick Reply: Sorry if I'm kicking a dead horse... air filter Q