993 Forum 1995-1998

Help re: fixed wing turbo trumpet install

Old 11-08-2004, 05:41 PM
rkass
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help re: fixed wing turbo trumpet install

Hi all,
Need help on what to do with airbox and recent fixed tt wing put on my 96 c4s. I finally was able to track down Robin's intake trumpet mod to stock airbox to help with engine temp for a fixed wing and I was all set to order the part when it dawned on me that I have the fabspeed air box cover (made of carbon fiber).

So my question is do I have to dump the fabspeed cover and go with stock airbox cover to make best use of trumpet.
I think the answer is yes because I can't reconcile how trumpet tube would fit on fabspeed cover when I look at pics in DIY article. This would hurt both from a financial standpoint for $ spent on mod but also from sound aspect of motor. I understand I probably didn't get more than a few horsepower for doing fabspeed, but the sound with their mufflers is amazing vs stock IMHO.

If I have to use stock airbox, would it matter if I went with motorsound airbox vs stock re: sound output? It would appear that I don't need any other part than the trumpet - is this correct? I know this is kind of long winded. TIA for your input.
Old 11-08-2004, 05:49 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 98 Likes on 50 Posts

More than likely, it wont fit the fabspeed cover. Just eBay it or offer it for sale in the Rennlist classifieds. Get a factory motorsound cover (or a standard one and drill the holes) and attach the cold air piece you are about to order..

The motorsound (or drilled version) will give you that nice induction sound. You wont, at any speed, get any positive airbox pressure, so drilling a standard airbox cover or using a factory motorsound cover wont hurt you in terms of sacrificing airbox pressure..
Old 11-08-2004, 05:52 PM
rkass
Racer

thanks chris, the more i think about it the more i think you are right. guess i have a very expense ashtray with no bottom...
Old 11-08-2004, 06:13 PM
Joe S.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The trumpet won't work on the Fabspeed airbox cover. I just installed the trumpet on my motorsound airbox cover. The silver inlet piece on the airbox that you need to take off was a real pain, be carefull with the holes around where the tabs are inserted, the plastic around this area is easy to break. Ask me how I know...
Old 11-08-2004, 06:36 PM
Bob D.
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts

Remember, the whole idea of the turbo intake trumpet is to draw in cooler outside air, not hot engine compartment air, so you wouldn't desire an open or drilled box anyway.

You are correct, all you need is the trumpet. It snaps right on to the existing inlet. Re cracking the stock inlet surround, just use careful finger pressure or, as per Robin's site, a couple of screwdrivers to release the surround.

You know, just typing this reply has taken more time than the entire mod! This is as simple a mod as you are going to find, I did it twice and I don't think it took more than 3 minutes each time. As they say, Just Do it!
Old 11-08-2004, 06:54 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 506 Likes on 337 Posts

Be certain NOT to put a Sound Package air box on. The holes in the side would defeat the idea of bringing cool air through the trumpet. I am certain you can by a stock airbox for next to nothing, or perhaps a Rennlister will step up with a spare one.

I am certain someone will trade you a stock air box for your Fabiani, worst case.

I have the trumpet on my car with the 993RS tail. I love it but do miss the 5,000 RPM Varioram induction noise that went away with the installation of the trumpet.
Old 11-08-2004, 07:18 PM
CAHRERA
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

rkass,

Do you have that link. I couldn't find it on the P-car DIY section. I remember seeing it and it had the P/N for the trumpet but I don't recall where it was on the website. If you could send it to me I would really appreciate it.

Thanks,
Scott
Old 11-08-2004, 08:25 PM
Joe S.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Trumpet P/N: 993.110.360.51
Old 11-08-2004, 08:57 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by rkass
when it dawned on me that I have the fabspeed air box cover (made of carbon fiber).
If their 993cup airbox is anything like their 964 cup airbox then you don't have carbon fiber. You have super thin vacuum formed plastic that is painted to look like carbon fiber AND it has NO support ribs. Without any support ribbing the cover will eventually warp.
Old 11-09-2004, 01:41 AM
rkass
Racer

Thanks everyone for your help. I was working on car tonight and apologize for not being around for all your help. Needless to say one of the first things I did tonight was to remove fabspeed cover and wait for trumpet to complete project. Bob D., with my ability I guess I need a half hour, Cahera - I see part number listed, but if you need whole article here is link -http://p-car.com/diy/intake/. Thanks for answering my next question of whether to drill holes, now maybe project will take me 20 minutes. Also glad to know that I have a ridiculously expensive vacuum formed plastic ashtray without a bottom. Oh well. Thanks again
Old 11-09-2004, 03:56 PM
TroyN
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I looked at the DIY on p-car, just out of curiosity (since I have a retractable tail, though have considered a fixed one), and wondered whether anyone that was using the cold air tube had issues with water? Seems like a nice water collection unit!
Old 11-09-2004, 04:32 PM
maurice97C2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TroyN
I looked at the DIY on p-car, just out of curiosity (since I have a retractable tail, though have considered a fixed one), and wondered whether anyone that was using the cold air tube had issues with water? Seems like a nice water collection unit!
There is a nice outlet for water in the lowest part of the trumpet elbow ....

these Germans think of everything - well almost .... !

cheers, Maurice
Old 11-12-2004, 12:48 AM
Luis A.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 6 Posts

Mmmhhh... The only reason to have a trumpet is to collect cold air when an intercooler is in the way of the ordinary intake. The air temperature after passing through the intercooler is considerably higher than ambient therefore the trumpet.

With air rushing into the engine compartment at a rate of ~500 liters/sec at 3,000 RPM it's difficult for me to envision how the air, without an intercooler to heat it up, can be that much warmer in the split second it takes it to come in from the top and into the non-trumpeted air intake, just a few inches below the lid of the turbo tail grille.
Old 11-12-2004, 11:08 AM
Kristoffer
Pro

I have found what I think is the best of both worlds. I have installed the trumpet for the cool air & I have cut my factory airbox simular to the fabspeed box. And for alot less I might add!!

Sorry I just noticed I don't have any pictures of it on my website. I will try to update it soon!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help re: fixed wing turbo trumpet install