Sponsored by:

What are these cars like?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2003, 02:09 AM
Cupcar#12
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Me - I love them (the 356) and I have a 964 as well (well most of one right now) and my 356 is rapidly on it's way to replacing my truck as my primary car these days.
In reality - the newest 356 is 33 years old and it drives like an old car - but it is totally different than a VW bug but compaired to a modern car - it feels old. I can easily keep up with the flow of traffic on the highway - it's just the stopping part that's a little shaky .
If the car is in good shape and the engine is strong you'll love it. if it's weak it gets expensive (say 5-6K for a good engine rebuild)
You cannot beat the smile it puts on your face (and other peoples as well).
Anyway - your not going to enjoy driving a 356 unless you really love them - and if you do - you can't get enough of them.
Me I love driving them - the handling is entertaining compaired to my cup car but it is a lot more fun to get right (and it will make you a better rear engine driver as well)
I'm not going to stand on a soap box (Air cooled vs water, etc) But i am looking at a 996 (or 7) as my next car and possibly a cayenne as well for our truck. They are all different and special in their own ways.

KTF
Old 10-01-2003, 11:10 AM
Greg D.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 279 Likes on 139 Posts

Old thread by now but still...

>In reality - the newest 356 is 33 years old and it drives like an old car

In reality the newest 356 is a 65 and that makes it 38 ;-) And for instance my C has 4 disk brakes, which some modern cars still don't...I think the only reason it feels like an old car is the humongous steering wheel! Other than that, it's TIGHT !

>- it's just the stopping part that's a little shaky .

Have your car inspected, friend... Ok, if you compare it to a cup car on slicks with ABS, yeah, but it's got plenty of brakes for modern traffic! My 356 and for that matter any properly maintained 356 should brake very very well, those cars are at the origin of the porsche brakes legend. They are light, sure there is no ABS, but they brake pretty damn well if in proper tune!
Old 10-01-2003, 09:02 PM
Cupcar#12
Addict
Rennlist Member

My fault on the dates - your right.

on the breaking... my car is fitted with front Disc's and rear drums. But then again i am possibly compairing it to a highly modified cup car, W/ABS, huge Rotors, Pagid Pads, etc. so i guess don't listen to this peice of advice (my truck stops worse actually than my 356)
It does have plently of brakes for normal traffic actually (i'm driving it everyday) and stops as well as a 59' A carrera that my friend has.

You really can use them for your daily commute - I am.
Old 10-02-2003, 01:41 PM
Greg D.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 279 Likes on 139 Posts

front discs and rear drums ? your 356 ? Are you sure ?

I thought they were wither all drums pre-C and SC or all discs (on the C/SC).

Sounds like a non-factory setup if that's the case !
Old 10-02-2003, 02:04 PM
Cupcar#12
Addict
Rennlist Member

it is actaully - the 59' A (up to the C actually) used Drums. My front Disc's are the Classic and speed parts disc's which are really nice. it uses the stock rear drums and a Wide 5 bolt pattern on the front. This coupled with a 911 Dual M/C has greatly improved my braking. the drums are fine however for normal driving, IMHO.
Old 11-10-2003, 12:52 PM
DerSchlechtSpecht
Three Wheelin'

I'd like to try my hand at one of these some day.

Christian
Old 11-30-2003, 08:42 PM
Jay Gratton
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Greetings,
I must tell you that one of the greatest car driving experiences I have ever had was in a 1965 356 C. Everytime I drove this car it put the biggest smile on my face. Was it fast? No. Did it handle like it was on rails? No! But what it did do was give me a real sense of Porsche history. Not to come down on a VW, but in my opinion it is a unfair comparsion. Best of luck in finding yourself a 356. - Jay Gratton

Quick Reply: What are these cars like?