Sponsored by:

What are these cars like?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2003, 05:15 PM
Jaxon
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What are these cars like?

I'm ignorant when it comes to these cars. I'm interested in how the 356's drive and handle. I spoke with a dealer recently who said "It's like driving a VW." I was surprised at the comment, since he had one on the lot for $20,000.

What are they like? What would attract someone to a 356.
Old 09-16-2003, 05:49 PM
Greg D.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 279 Likes on 139 Posts

>"It's like driving a VW." ;-)

Nah... It's more like driving the ancestor of a 911. Same view, softer gearbox and clutch, same feel when you close the door... You really
"get" the sense that the 911 was derived from this car, it's eerie... They feel very precise in the steering department and brake very well... power wise, it depends on the model but they were more powerful than the Vws of similar years... Of course this is assuming a nice car, not a rusty hulk with a VW engine and no brakes...

Put it this way... I have a 993 w/ 285 hp, but I have a smile on my face everytime I climb in to the 356 ! pure driving pleasure...
Old 09-17-2003, 10:25 AM
Jaxon
Racer

Thanks Greg. Your description is what I expected to hear when I asked the dealer.

I'll have add it to my list of cars to drive.

Jaxon
Old 09-17-2003, 11:46 PM
RJT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 341 Likes on 152 Posts

Jaxon,

I agre with Greg 100%, It's absolutely NOT like driving a VW...... I've had VW's so I know.................

A 356 that has a rebuilt engine and has been sorted out is as tight and fun as can be. Matter of fact, there are days that we decide to go for a ride and head out to our garage intending to drive the 993 and then we take off the 356 instead. There's just something about them that I can't really explain. You can't help but drive around with a big grin on your face.

What type of 356 is on the dealers lot?

JoAnne Trinkle
Old 09-18-2003, 10:53 AM
Jaxon
Racer

This might help:

http://www.getauto.com/autolinks_car...00000000113733

If there is a problem with the site:

1961 PORSCHE 356B 2 Dr Sport
Black, 4 Speed Manual
VIN # 00000000000113733, Stock # 373

1600cc flat alloy boxer engine w/ twin carbs, 4 speed close ratio transaxle, 4 wheel fully independent suspension, correct mirror finish black paint, matching black interior, full gauges including tachometer, chrome factory 15X6 wheels w/ hi speed radials
$ 19,990
Old 09-18-2003, 12:51 PM
midwest
Instructor

I have a 356A roadster, and just love it. It is my choice at night when I want to go for a drive (the excuse being getting a latte).

Wonderful fun car.

You just drive it differently too.
Old 09-23-2003, 01:35 PM
Ron_H
928 Barrister
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Cool 356 character

I agree with all who say it will put a smile on your face...I have had a '61 Super coupe (my first Porsche and just like the one in the ad, but Ivory), and a Speedster. Both would put a grin from ear to ear on my face all day long. Fun. Power and stump pulling acceleration are not the point of these cars; they are about balance and control and precision and finesse.
I have also had 3 911s, a 914/6 and (currently)a 928. None of these cars match the Speedster in grin factor, and it was the least powerful of all. My
'66 911 was a bit similar, but a different car. All have the Porsche characteristic refinement and simplicity, but the 928 borders on complex. In fact, the 928 is an awe inspiring car which only exhibits its true character after the first hour above 120 mph. If you buy the 356 coupe, you will find excuses to go to the store, to visit your friends, to drive someone down the street, and just cruise around. And just like the 928, the 356 coupe will not immediately display its virtues until you have spent some time in it. In fact, you may head out for a drive out of town and forget to return.
Old 09-23-2003, 01:57 PM
Jaxon
Racer

Thanks to all for the info!

Jaxon
Old 09-23-2003, 08:24 PM
YoungGun
Track Day

I want to absolutely bitc* slap that dealer ... like a VW?!?! Obviously he knows nothing about Porsches!!

First of all, a 356 is a very dark car - the smallish windows don't let in much light, and the interior has a very dark, quiet feeling. It's almost isolated from the outside world ... just you and the car.

Obviously, they aren't the fastest cars on the road, but a clean example is a wonderful machine to drive ... very basic and tactile. You feel every bump and groove and the car is light and flickable, but it's still comfortable and going a long time in the saddle is more a pleasure than a chore.

Beyond that it's impossible to describe ... but I'm still fuming over the dealer's comment which may be causing this writer's block. Just find a clean example and see if the owner will let you take it for a spin. Then you'll know what's up.
Old 09-23-2003, 11:03 PM
Jaxon
Racer

I was very carefull in wording this post so that you would not shoot the messenger. I know how you feel about the comment. I've owned both a Boxster and currently enjoy a 951. I've always feel like a stepchild with both cars.

I just wanted to know about the car. You know, just curious about all Porsche's, especially a predecessor to the 911.
Old 09-24-2003, 05:35 AM
hoffman912
The Hoffinator
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts

dont worry about being a step child... drive what you enjoy and love to drive. over the years porsche has created the cars to meet the needs of all sorts of driving enthusiests.. different strokes for differnt folks.

when the 911 was made, the 356ers were pissed off.. (hense why the 912 came out!), when the 914 came out, when the 924 came out, when the 944 came out... every guy hates the next model. we all hated the 996, now we all hate the pepper. porsche drivers hate change. dont feel like a step child. embrace your cars, and love them for what they are!!!!

ok now im off that soap box....

i think it is great that you are stepping back and finding the roots to porsche cars. it is in the past that we truley discover who we are. with out the 356 we wouldnt be here. its an amazing vehicle, with so much history behind it, and i feel more people should do what you are doing. try other cars, admire the past, learn and discover more.
Old 09-24-2003, 01:13 PM
Ron_H
928 Barrister
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Cool inertia

Harry:
I couldn't agree with you more. I started with a 356S coupe and wanted a Carrerra2......then the 901 came out to eliminate the faults of the C2....I thought Porsche had sold out and hated the new body.....for about 10 months when I bought a '66 911 and loved it, including the new body.
Now I think the 993 is the ultimate Porsche and am repulsed by the 996, though I am finally beginning to understand the form (which I still don't like)
However, after driving a 996 on a track I still did not like it, though it probably is "more forgiving", but the doors closing sound like a Ford (ugh!)
For a long time I "appreciated" the 928 but thought Porsche had sold out to the GM buyers....until a friend who always drove 911s and Turbos told me he was driving a 928.....I ridiculed him at first, and he urged me to drive one and then say I didn't think it was a "real" Porsche.....I did and now have one, and love it. I still think the Speedster was the most fun and the essence of what Porsche means to me. AND....I finally drove a Cayenne.
I guess if I needed a tow car.......Nah...nobody sits that highly off of the road in a performance car......!!!
Old 09-25-2003, 05:17 AM
hoffman912
The Hoffinator
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts

exactly.. you always hate the next one until you try it. then you love it... well, sometimes.

personally i think the pepper can be very useful, for motor sports, and porsche in general. sure its a suv.. but its more than some suv, the applications it can be used for are endless. the engine for example -the development put into it, the design, technology, and parts can be used for other aplications in other porsche vehicles. for example, the rumor is the next 911 will have an 8 cyl. where do you think alot of the R&D, came from? the cayenne. the suspension in it can be used in other applications, and their use of air bag suspension can go into other models. perhaps they could use it as a basis for a ralley car, more particularly a paris dakar ralley car? the cayenne turbo is a performance car, a wolf in sheeps clothing, as well as a catapillar ready to morph into a butterfly. at least thats my theory.

you see, your 928 is the pepper of yester year. its porsches touring/luxury car, but it had some bite! just like the pepper has a more utilitarian use, it still has its bite. also, the 928 was very advanced for its day, and its developments went elsewhere in other porsche cars. with porsche its all about evolution, and maximization. they revolutionise a technology, make it evolve, and squeeze every last penny out of it!
Old 09-25-2003, 10:06 AM
Steve Jensen
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Also, don't forget that it is much more fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow... being able to push your car to the limit without going too far above the speed limit is great!
Old 09-26-2003, 09:24 PM
Brett Matthews
Pro

Arrow

Hmmm,
I must be the "odd man out".....

Most of the replies seem to be from people who were able to .."afford?".. the "upgrades" in the Porsche lineup? Or some other process? I'm not sure....

Anyway, the '56 356 I have now, is the one my father bought, when it and I were 7. It is one of the first cars I was taught to drive in, starting around age 8, late. One of the first cars my father had me "helping" to wrench on also!
Realizing at the time (I think), that new models came out occasionally, and others dropped, I remember the new 911 as looking a little sleeker, which I think is not the case? Aerodynamically?
Somehow, I knew about the 912, didn't really connect it to the "upgraded" 356 engine until MUCH later.
The Targa's are my picks, they just struck my fancy. (I know where a 912 Targa is sitting in a garage, for sale, no engine, soft rear window, rare option I've been told? I'm not buying)
I liked the mid-engined idea of the 914. Did not know of the 914-6/916(?) until a few years ago.
I have never liked the looks of the 924. The early 944's were just an upgraded 924, but the later 944's have started to grow on me. I have to admit though, I'll not choose to buy one. Was there an '87 924?

But when the 928 first came out, my first reaction was WOW!!! Porsche came out with a V-8!?!?? COOL!!
I was very much into American muscle at the time, and V-8's were IT!

The 930(?) slant nose cars are great looking.

And from there on, the cars got more horsepower, taking them all outside of possible future attainment, although nice to look at.

I too, thought when the 996's came out, looked a little too weird, but they also are growing on me. Doubt I'll ever own one.

As Harry pointed out, don't worry about the "step-child" bit, just look at this Rennlist, there are enthusiasts of ALL the models!

Quick Reply: What are these cars like?