Sponsored by:

Possible Barn find '61 356... Advice needed! *new option with pics!!*

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 01:35 AM
74carreraturbo
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possible Barn find '61 356... Advice needed! *new option with pics!!*

A friend of mine mentioned how he was looking around to buy an RX7 and found an old 1st gen in the driveway of some guys house. He knocked on the door and the guy said he didnt really want to sell but he had another car under a tarp he needed to sell.

The car under the tarp was a red 1961 356... The only thing I know about the car right now is that it's a 61, it has slight rust in the floorpans but is complete. The head is off the car right now, the interior looks to be very clean and in nice shape. This is the report I have of the car so far as Tomorrow I will go inspect it myself. Being a 911 guy, what should I look for in this car? Obviously #s matching engine, body work, hidden rust and the such but were the 61s any more desirable?

Sorry about the vague description as I just found the car tonight! I am so excited as it's been a dream to find a 356 like this and in Kansas nonetheless! The owner had mentioned he wants 12K for the car but needs money so I'm thinking 8-9K cash could walk with the car. I will bring a camera and take tons of pics for you guys as soon as I get home! Thanks for any advice you can give!

Rob

Last edited by 74carreraturbo; 04-05-2009 at 09:48 PM.
Old 04-01-2009, 01:57 AM
ked
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Rob, sounds like a great opportunity to exercise excitement mgmt. If you want to arm yourself with some expertise, get Jim Schrager's "Buying, Driving and Enjoying the Porsche 356" asap - it's a good start.

356 flat-4s have 2 heads - you will want to (have an expert) determine the condition / completeness of the engine for rebuild. 356 engines, their parts and their desirable upgrades can get pricey. if "slight rust" is apparent, then "more rust" may be lurking - assume it is until proven otherwise (again, an expert is useful). and the '61s, as a model yr, are not any more desirable - generally, the rarity, model popularity back-in-the-day (Speedster Lust), perf spec, & specific history is what distinguishes one 356 from another. oh, & condition condition condition. good luck!
Old 04-01-2009, 06:24 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can't wait to get an update on this one!
Old 04-01-2009, 09:35 PM
74carreraturbo
Racer

Update!

First off my camera's battery is competely did and didnt take a charge so I was unable to get pics

Here's what I can tell you about the car:

It's a 1961 356B, originally a black car which is now red(and crappy, cheaply painted red at that). There is no rust in the fenders or rockers and the chrome is all there and nice. The floorpans are completely shot and will need re-done but that seems to be where most of the rust is collected. There is some surface rust on the dash area by the winshield inside the car and some rust on the underside of the hood. There also appeared to be some Bondo on the left rear(or it was a pound of that crappy paint, but i'm guessing the former) but otherwise everything else looked straight and solid.

I think it's a MAJOR project and I have no clue how to value it... I did pull the vin # and engine block # but I am only 50% certain these are the right numbers. The vin I got off the title and the engine # i got off the block:

Engine block # P*732966*
Vin # 116703

Any thoughts??
Old 04-02-2009, 12:27 AM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

I can't imagine you would be upside down if you bought it for the price previously indicated of $8-10k. However, if you began a restoration I am sure things could change very quickly without expert opinion and advice.
Old 04-02-2009, 02:02 AM
ked
Addict
Rennlist Member

"Any thoughts??"

yes... I think you'd be crazy to embark on such a project if it is your first 356 & you are going to farm out the work. I'd just go buy a nice one w/o major issues - the market is ripe. on the other hand, any good education is expensive... so... do what thou wilt.
Old 04-02-2009, 02:18 AM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

I don't think he'd be crazy to 'purchase' this car for the price indicated, surely?

There is obviously unlimited potential for all types of unforeseen problems if planning to keep and restore. However I am sure it could be found a proper home with a true enthusiast and perhaps a small profit turned, no?

Seems sad to know this car is sat under a tarp wasting away in Kansas somewhere...
Old 04-02-2009, 08:48 AM
ked
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rob, I have the impression you want to buy, fix & keep a 356. I usually suggest to first-time buyers that they get a running car that needs no major work. Given the market conditions, I think it is possible to get a good deal on such a car these days. Driving & maintaining a decent driver is the best way to enter into the 356 world (newest cars are almost a half century old). No matter the market fluctuations, at least you have a car that drives. A restoration project wants more $ from you the moment you acquire it.

Flipping a field find is another matter entirely. If that business proposition is your approach, you'd best do a great deal of market research & be certain of the car's condition.

Perhaps "crazy" was too strong. "Dubious, fraught with risk" might be better put.
Old 04-02-2009, 10:42 AM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ked
"Dubious, fraught with risk" might be better put.
Haha...sounds perfect!
Old 04-05-2009, 12:12 AM
74carreraturbo
Racer

Thanks for all the help guys! I have not bought this car yet and doesnt look like I am going to. I think the car sitting out under a tarp for the last 10yrs probably salted it away a little too much for my tastes.

I will find another
Old 04-05-2009, 09:48 PM
74carreraturbo
Racer

Found another one! This one is a 62 356b with non-original paint(white), no engine included but is a very solid roller. very very minor rust problems, and this one looks like all it needs is an engine to be drivable! 12K is the asking again and here are some pics for you guys! Let me know what you think!

Old 04-05-2009, 11:07 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Looks very pretty in the pictures. Love the red interior. Have you had someone look it over for you?

Seems like you are really working hard to find the right car. I hope you find it as you obviously deserve a good one, good luck!
Old 05-05-2009, 06:43 PM
ppashley
Burning Brakes

does this one run?
Its nice!!
Old 05-05-2009, 11:00 PM
RJT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 348 Likes on 154 Posts

Pop a Type IV in there and you can have a bad boy... that is if you want a mild outlaw.

Once the 356 bug bites, it bites HARD.
Old 05-05-2009, 11:32 PM
JimGinKC
Rennlist Member

It seems nice, but no engine, so you really don't know what else you're going to have to do - brakes, transmission, suspension, etc. it might be cheaper in the long run to buy a runner than what it will take to get this one going again.

just my $0.02

Quick Reply: Possible Barn find '61 356... Advice needed! *new option with pics!!*