We get no Respect I tell you, NO RESPECT

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2007, 06:13 PM
RJT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 341 Likes on 152 Posts
Default We get no Respect I tell you, NO RESPECT

I'll let the picture speak for itself.... Well maybe I won't. This 356 belongs to a member of the 356 Registry. The Registry was invited to take part in the Concours at the Parade this past Monday in San Diego. This car is a 4 Cam Carrera Cab. that happens to be very $$$$ and rare. PCA has been trying to get 356 owners back and more involved in PCA activities.

Hello?? And this is the Welcome that they get? Park them in the Dirt?? This had to be a very gross mistake. Maybe they though that dirt roads don't get dusty??? Not many Dirt Roads in Southern California, so maybe they really didn't know......

Thank Goodness we drove the 993. At least we got to park on the GRASS!!!

So much for Pride in the Porsche Heritage. I'm surprised that the 356's that were actually competing in the Concours weren't treated the same. WAIT!! Worse yet! The Historic cars were parked right next to the dirt road too!
Yup. This HAD to be a major mistake.

There was a lot of major PO'ed owners of Very DIRTY 356's that day.

Here's another 4 Cam Carrera gathering dust:

Well, at least there was ONE happy 356:

~JoAnne

Last edited by RJT; 07-11-2007 at 03:20 AM. Reason: It's a Cab not a Roadster
Old 07-07-2007, 06:41 PM
RJT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Old 07-07-2007, 06:49 PM
968rz
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As a multi Porsche owner (and starting the multi year search for a nice 356 for wife ) thats just wrong , they (the 356 owners) have every right to be pi$$ed; I know I would be .
Old 07-07-2007, 07:28 PM
RJT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I'm really surprised that they didn't all just drive off. I guess when they were placed (EARLLLLLY!!!!) in the morning they were half asleep. I know we would not of been happy. Maybe with the CayenneS it wouldn't of been a big deal, even with the 993 (maybe), but a 356? Come on.....

~JoAnne
Old 07-07-2007, 10:32 PM
GR997S
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

I was there and saw all of them in the dirt. What a shame !!!!!!!
Old 07-08-2007, 12:36 AM
RJT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I'd like to think that the parking the 356's in the dirt was not done intentionally, but why don't people think about what they are doing before they do it? These are old cars and not the easiest to clean. Would the person who decided to put the 356's there want his nice clean car parked there only to be covered in dust and dirt? I doubt it very much. Wonder if he even cares. Doubt that too......
There's a HUGE 356 Concours TOMORROW in Dana Point and many of these cars were headed for that show next. Now all the ones that were slated to be judged in that event have to be completely detailed from the undercarriage to the top again. The Dana Point Concours is a big deal and the judging is tough. I don't think a "I just came from Parade 356 Paddock" excuse will cut it. Or maybe it will.....
~JoAnne
Old 07-08-2007, 08:33 AM
JRRSA
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 17 Posts

That is really a shame, I would have taken issue with that right from the start. You can't concourse in the dirt!

I thought you had decided to go to Harbor Springs VS attending the Parade? I was in Harbor Springs, it was a great event. The grass for the concourse was beautiful. I can post a couple pictures for those that are interested.
Old 07-08-2007, 02:08 PM
RJT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

We moved back To Southern California from Arkanasas so we skipped the East Coast Holiday and went to Parade instead since it was right down the street. Mistake...... We should have trailerd the 356 to Michigan for the Holiday show instead.

As I said before we took 993 to the Parade and with the dirt situation, we are so glad we did. At least the 993 was on Grass!!!!

It's not a 356, but here's Wolfgang on the GRASS! (thanks for the pictures Eric!)

Compare this parking to the parking the poor 356's had.....

~JoAnne
Old 07-08-2007, 03:42 PM
JRRSA
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 17 Posts

Very nice 4S!
Old 07-08-2007, 04:21 PM
Pedro356C
Drifting

Hi JoAnne...they probably wanted to bring the tubs back to the time roads were not paved yet!!!

The 356 owners were quite tolerant...I'd never park a push rod car in the dirt...imagine a 4-cam Roadster or Cabriolet!!!! Crazy stuff!

PS. Your yellow 993 is a B.E.A.U.T.Y.
Old 07-08-2007, 08:28 PM
RJT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Actually they were only 'tolerant' while at the Concours/Paddock. It's after the event that they let it be VERY KNOWN that they were unhappy. One of the organizers said that they got a lot of very very nagative feedback. That's good because they had to be told and MAYBE will learn from the mistakes that they made this time. I think even Robert wrote a two page long note, and we didn't even have the 356 with us!

~JoAnne

BTW: does anyone here know how to find the 356talk archives? They hide that stuff like a pack rat. Thank Goodness Rennlist is EASY. Just hit Search!
Old 07-08-2007, 11:39 PM
ked
Addict
Rennlist Member

JoAnne,
Use this month's password to access the Members Only Homepage, there you will find the link to Talk Archive Search.
PCA is obviously challenged in supporting all aspects of Porschedom at one annual event. I suppose that's how the Registry got going in the first place...
Wish I'd been able to go to Dana Pt this yr - I want to drive one of the 356s cross-continent & this yr they just weren't ready (oil cooler leak just cropped up on one, the other is a project-in-waiting ). Picts on other thread looked great - those guys (McNulty et.al.) know how to run a show...
Hope Robert feels better soon (as good as your 4S looks!).
cheers!
Old 07-08-2007, 11:55 PM
RJT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I saw several pictures of Max and was sad. We were also told by some folks that attended that he was not only dirty and was missing my Soft Q-tipped touch, but was for sale.... AGAIN. I guess folks are finding out that you can't tootle in Max for a nice quiet Sunday Drive. He was built to race, but now is too expensive to race. What a catch 22. Wish we could buy him back, but that would be insane. Why pay $$$$ for a car that we already had?

Anyway, It looks like the 356Club once again put on a great show at a beautiful location. Heck, looking at some of the pictures I see that they even found some grass for a few VW's, a luxury that the 356's in San Diego didn't have.

Maybe you'll be able to make the cross country drive next year and we'll all be able to get together in Dana Point.

~JoAnne

PS: Thanks for the Archive help!!!
Old 07-09-2007, 01:34 AM
luvmy356
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Were those 356's on the dusty road being judged or display only? Parking on the dirt was wrong even if it was just for display, but it would have been interesting to see the judges get their khakis dirty trying to inspect the undersides of those cars.

BTW, did you get the S/N of the 4-cam twin grill roadster? Was it a 4 cam from the factory or installed later?

Perry
Old 07-09-2007, 01:49 AM
RJT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

The cars in the dirt were not being judged. They were invited to take part in the Paddock area. They were the only Paddock cars placed in the dirt. All the other ones were on grass.

It would have been funny to see the judges try to wiggle there way around dust and dirt. They definately would have gotten their pants in a bunch!! I'd venture to say it wasn't funny for those 356 owners that had to get the cars cleaned up again before today's Dana Point Concours. I've spend a little bit of time under a 356 and there are lots of nooks and crannies that just lay out the welcome mat for dirt and their close cousins, dust!

I didn't get the serial number off of the 4 cam CAB nor much of the history. Everytime I was around the car, the owner wasn't. Probably didn't want to breath the dust.

~JoAnne

Last edited by RJT; 07-11-2007 at 03:22 AM. Reason: Not a Roadster but a Cab.....

Quick Reply: We get no Respect I tell you, NO RESPECT