Sponsored by:

coupe to cab conversion

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2006, 11:16 PM
porscheportland
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default coupe to cab conversion

has anyone seen any articles or pics or knows of some info on how you would go about converting a 356 coupe to a cabriolet?

I know its heresy, but I've always been curious how those guys did it. wouldn't it require a lot of reinforcement in the body to compensate for the loss of the roof.

any info would be appreciated.

I've got a 63 coupe and I am not planning on cutting it up so. Just more of a "How'd they do that" moment.
Old 12-14-2006, 02:23 AM
Pedro356C
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by porscheportland

I know its heresy, but I've always been curious how those guys did it.
any info would be appreciated.
By the Porsche gods' inquisition...you're condemned to burn in eternal fire!!!!

Think twice!!!!!
Old 12-14-2006, 10:38 AM
Irishdriver
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This was discussed recently,

have a look at:

https://rennlist.com/forums/356-forum/295724-1962-notchback-coupe-with-top-chopped-off-huh.html

there are even some diagrams on how to do it !!!

It's in the 356 Porsche technical and restoration guide volume 2 (RPM Books) from the 356 registry magazine volume 21-6 by Ron Roland "going topless" where he turned t-6 hardtop into a roadster
Old 12-14-2006, 10:47 AM
ked
Addict
Rennlist Member

never one to stand between someone & eternal fire...
in "356 Porsche Technical & Restoration Guide / Vol. 2" there is an article discussing chopping a T6 Hardtop to make a Roadster. since the hardtops were based upon the Cab, it was/is the platform of choice for making the conversion.
Old 12-14-2006, 11:55 AM
Pedro356C
Drifting

Originally Posted by ked
never one to stand between someone & eternal fire...

I'm such an uptight purist!!!!

Got to respect the Porsche gods though...especially if you read all the Maestro's chronicles...
Old 12-14-2006, 12:15 PM
Steve Jensen
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

And I think that we can all agree that the best and probably easiest and cheapest way to turn a coupe into a cab (or roadster or speedster or whatever) is to sell it and buy what you really want.
Old 12-14-2006, 12:32 PM
ked
Addict
Rennlist Member

Steve, you are right of course, esp now that some early 911 cabs have dropped to the price of a decent 356 Coupe... so, if you must have an open Porsche, get a 911... if you must have an open 356, buy one rather than build it. however, if you must cut apart a closed 356 - just because you can - then, hey, you pays your $ & gets your ticket...
Old 12-15-2006, 07:15 AM
Irishdriver
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ked,

the problem now is that it is more cost effective to cut and build a cabrio rether than buy one.
cabrios in the natural state are becoming far too expensive.
Old 01-24-2007, 11:09 AM
Low Profile
AutoX

I have owned both a coupe and 2 soft top 356's. Without a doubt the soft tops were more enjoyable and its no wonder they command a better price. I suggest the same thing as others have said, sell the coupe and buy a soft top. It will be cheaper in the long run, will work better and lastly will increase in value in leaps and bounds. My first 356 (a B coupe) I had for 6 years and enjoyed every moment. Its value increased 2 x in that time. The first Speedster I had in 7 years increased in value 3.7 times!!!!!

If you convert a coupe it can never have the same intrinsic value as a proper original soft top.

If possible keep both!! That's the best and you will never be sorry. A coupe can be used daily if need be and I am sure your current daily car can always be replaced later. The 356's are becomming ever more difficult to replace.
Ray
Old 01-24-2007, 12:51 PM
RJT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 339 Likes on 151 Posts

We all have our own tastes thank goodness or this world would be a boring place....

We've owned both and prefer Coupes to Cabs / Speedsters.

Do what you want.
It's $$$$$ out of your pocket not ours.

Just remember what Ray stated above "If you convert a coupe it can never have the same intrinsic value as a proper original soft top."

JoAnne
Old 01-24-2007, 01:05 PM
TC/914
Advanced

Considering what the Speedster replicas are selling for, far and away ABOVE what a genuine 356 coupe is bringing, why not scoop up a coupe in need of work, grab a fiberglass cabrio clip from Rusty Tubs, graft 'em together and enjoy it like crazy.

When it's time to sell, it'll fetch way more than a simple replica because of the metal portion and the genuine 356 VIN, and surely more than just another coupe as well.

A little money in, a lot of money out, and a TON of fun (and arguments with the 356 rank 'n file) in between.

The best of ALL worlds !
Old 01-24-2007, 01:54 PM
ked
Addict
Rennlist Member

"... Speedster replicas are selling for, far and away ABOVE what a genuine 356 coupe is bringing..."
"... it'll fetch way more than ... just another coupe..."
"A little money in..."

TC, I am not convinced. Replicas sell from a few thousand (unfinished basket-cases) to the low $20Ks (w/ exceptions like BJ, where "Schrager's Rule" applies - 2x price premium when drunken bidders prove their mettle, + some cases are off the deep end in sunken cost). Genuine 356 coupes start in the $5-10K range (barely running, if that) and can easily reach $50-60K, w/ 6 figures not unheard-of. The converted / hybrid 356 arena will forever be thinly traded, w/ appeal for fun but not investment - & there's nothing wrong with that, of course! It is challenging (= costly!) to execute a high quality conversion, & ultimately one will not be repaid for that investment in the same way as one might for a genuine 356 - open or closed. An excellent conversion will compete well w/ not-so-nice conversions, but the market is itself not sensibly comparable to the mainstream 356 market.

I'm not a purist about 356s, conversions & kits, but they are distinct from one another and a wise buyer / investor should evaluate them as such before contemplating check-writing. All in my opinion of course... my own approach was to get one of each type of genuine article. cheers!
Old 01-24-2007, 03:34 PM
RJT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by ked
Genuine 356 coupes .................and can easily reach $50-60K, w/ 6 figures not unheard-of..............

BOY, OH BOY!!!! We can vouch for that!!!!

JoAnne
Old 01-24-2007, 03:50 PM
TC/914
Advanced

OK, here we go . . .

Good points, all well made.

However.

There will always be any number of coupes, particularly the B's and C's that will continue to trade back and forth for around $15,000. or so. Either the trim pieces and interior aren't up there, or the pan was patched, or whatever the reason. These little guys just aren't worth the expense to make them right, and as better cars are turned out, the lesser cars will fetch even lower sums. A certain percentage will be bought for their drive trains or parts, and some will be taken down and restored right, but half will continue downward until they end up on Ebay along with the rest of those rusted red things that continually turn up these days.

I'm thinking that these are the coupes that would actually benefit from a fiberglass graft, a "conversion" to an open car, Speedster style or otherwise.

ALWAYS worth more than a fiberglass car, if ONLY to the kit car crowd. Worth WAY more than it would be as a forlorn coupe, and better cared for during it's "life" than a coupe on a downward spiral would ever be.

I currently own a C coupe and an SC coupe that are on "hold" plus a '55 Continental Coupe that is being converted to an radical outlaw coupe. As an outlaw, it'll trade all day for a moderate amount, as a badly restored Pre-A it would go begging. To the replica crowd, depending on the drive train, it might even fetch more; mostly because originality isn't as big of a factor.

Everyone's different, gotta be a 356 for each of us somewhere.

Last edited by TC/914; 01-24-2007 at 06:18 PM.
Old 01-24-2007, 04:23 PM
RJT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by TC/914
Everyone's different, gotta be a 356 for each of us somewhere.

JoAnne

Quick Reply: coupe to cab conversion