Questions re: 1958 356A Cab

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2006, 01:55 PM
Rick
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Questions re: 1958 356A Cab

I've been searching (dreaming) of a 356 Cab for some time and just found out about this car at a dealer only about 6 miles from my home.

356A Cab for Sale

I'd like to go look at it but I really don't know a great deal about these cars. What should I look for? What questions should I ask? The ad doesn't say if it's got the original engine/transmission or if it's a numbers matching car...how do I determine? Is this car priced reasonably based on what you experts can see from the ad?

Thanks much,

Rick
Old 02-25-2006, 04:08 PM
Freddy
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 9 Posts

Rick,

The car looks pretty good. Pictures never say the truth, but from what I could see it is quite honest. The color combination is beautiful and the price is correct. The bumper guards are missing and the exhaust is wrong. I could say the rear suspension could be an inch lower. I suggest you go to see and drive the car and let us all know about your decision.

It is also wise to search a bit more about it and do your homework on 356A cars. From what I can see this is a 59 model car probably produced by the end of 58.

The engine looks correct. Go there and check, it is probably something ranging from the 2 bellow options:
616/1 T2 1600 70820 72468 normal engine
616/2 T2 1600 S 82455 83145 for a real 1600 Super as it is supposed to be.

In case you have time visit the Carrera Cabriolet website where you can find some links to useful information about those A T2 cars!!

Good luck and let us know the result of your visit!

Cheers,

Freddy
Old 03-07-2006, 07:46 AM
Freddy
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 9 Posts

Hi Rick,

Did you manage to see the 356? Whben I am back to the US we should find some time to talk about these little cars. Tell me then what you are looking for and I can try to help you with it... I learn quite a lot with time about them... and this is how and why I did

Cheers,

Freddy (anxious!!)
Attached Images  
Old 03-10-2006, 06:54 PM
Jay Laifman
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would add that the distributor is wrong. It's the common replacement 050. But, it pales in comparison to a properly rebuilt stock one by Don Marks.

Also, the seats are not restored properly. The creases or whatever they are called in the bases are missing. It's such an easy thing to do. I have to assume those that don't do it are simply ignorant to how a 356 is supposed to be put together and it makes you wonder about the rest of it.

PPI, PPI, PPI . . .

Jay
Old 03-12-2006, 09:35 AM
Pedro356C
Drifting

I'll second Jay regarding the seats...the creases across the seat's bottom are missing...check pic to see what they should look like if made properly....car looks solid and engine bay really clean...I don't like the exhaust as well...the extractor type exiting to the passenger's side...I think these cars must have two pipes coming from the appropriate places...it just doesn't look right...I also agree with Freddy...beautiful color combo! Get those frequent flyer miles you probably have and take a look at this baby personally!!!
Attached Images  
Old 03-14-2006, 03:43 AM
Vancouver83LTD
Nordschleife Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

they also don't look like the leather was stretched as tight as it should be (if indeed Pedro's photos are standard of what all 356's were equipped like)
Old 03-16-2006, 08:52 PM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Rick -

Inquiring minds want to know what happened....
Old 03-24-2006, 12:32 PM
Rick
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Well...I finally had the chance to stop by & look at the car and was somewhat disappointed - perhaps my expectations were too high. The dealer indicated that car had been professionaly restored by someone in Colorado who is known to be the best in the US (not sure who that is).
Some of the things that caught my attention were:
  1. As several of you noticed already, the bumper guards are missing. That wouldn't be too hard to correct.
  2. The muffler is wrong and it looked like it isn't put together quite right because there were signs of some blow-by. This could be corrected.
  3. It's not the original engine...I was originally told on the phone that this was a "numbers match" car but that's not the case. To me...this is an issue. I'm kind of set on an original car at this point.
  4. Paint - there are a number of flaws with the paint including a drip/run on the rear of the car. I'd have to have this corrected.
  5. Suspension...the car actually seemed to sit a bit lop-sided. The rear may be a bit high but I was puzzled to see that the car didn't seem to be level.
  6. The stiching on the seats isn't done properly and to be honest...it could have done better. The seats look better in the pictures than they do in person.

I'm going to keep looking...I may be wrong but I think for this price I should be looking at a car that doesn't have these kinds of issues.

Thanks much for the help to all.

Rick
Old 03-24-2006, 12:55 PM
ked
Addict
Rennlist Member

did you drive it? how did it behave?
indeed, it seems a bit pricey w/ the flaws you noted, even thought they aren't fatal.
I'd guess another $2-3K out-sourced would fix it (not the paint & non-matching engine). I'd make the dealer address them prior to delivery as a condition of sale (of course, I'd also want the car in the $50Ks, but negotiating down on open 356s ain't easy these days). I wouldn't be too hung up on the matching #s bit, unless you plan to concours it, & research the complete owner history as part of the presentation (can the mileage be independently verified?). more than a few 356s had their engines swapped upon delivery or even in repair - given that N, S, S-90 & SC engines were all floating around over a 5 year period & dealers would "build to suit" in order to sell, plus, it was (& is) quicker to swap motors than rebuild 'em.
happy hunting!

Quick Reply: Questions re: 1958 356A Cab