Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do I preserve rubber door seals?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2005, 01:28 PM
Paul902
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default How do I preserve rubber door seals?

Hi there,

Just visiting from the 993 forum. Since winter is fast approaching in Canada I am busy getting my car ready for storage. Since you guys have older cars I thought this would be a good place to seek advice on how to treat the rubber door and bonnet seals so that they last as long as possible. The manual says use glycerin. I bought some two years ago. It is a stickly liquid that does not seem to penetrate the rubber. Is this what I want? What is the best practice?

Thanks so much and happy motoring!
Old 10-17-2005, 03:50 PM
sleddog
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This may be of use to you, it is a link to storing your care for winter from the northeast region PCA website.

http://www.porschenet.com/winter.html

by the way, the senators really spanked the Bruins the other night.
Old 10-17-2005, 07:01 PM
Paul902
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by sleddog
This may be of use to you, it is a link to storing your care for winter from the northeast region PCA website.

http://www.porschenet.com/winter.html

Thanks!

by the way, the senators really spanked the Bruins the other night.
and, you're welcome
Old 11-29-2005, 05:12 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul902
Hi there,

Just visiting from the 993 forum. Since winter is fast approaching in Canada I am busy getting my car ready for storage. Since you guys have older cars I thought this would be a good place to seek advice on how to treat the rubber door and bonnet seals so that they last as long as possible. The manual says use glycerin. I bought some two years ago. It is a stickly liquid that does not seem to penetrate the rubber. Is this what I want? What is the best practice?

Thanks so much and happy motoring!

A very good way of keeping rubber seals in good shape is with baby powder. Work it in with your fingers. Will keep things from sticking, too.

Dan
Old 11-29-2005, 08:11 PM
Pedro356C
Drifting

Although I don't deal with the "winter stuff", I like 303products protectant to keep rubber parts from drying...all 303 products are excellent...give it a try...
Old 11-29-2005, 11:50 PM
DarrylH
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Pedro356C
Although I don't deal with the "winter stuff", I like 303products protectant to keep rubber parts from drying...all 303 products are excellent...give it a try...
And BTW, Canadian Tire now stocks the 303 Protectant. I've asked them about the cleaner but no go so far. I too think it does a better job than the "other" products of a similar ilk. And no, I don't work for Crappy Tire or 303...http://www.303products.com/main.php
Old 12-01-2005, 12:59 PM
ked
Addict
Rennlist Member

good advice here on weatherstrip / seal protection. I have found that the best liquid treatments (303, Vinylex, 3M Rubber Dressing, Wurths, etc) are great for active use scenarios (exposure in daily / weekly driving inc bad weather & sun exposure). Talc is great for periods of storage where there is minimal environmental exposure. Note that alot of rubber parts are dusted w/ talc prior to packaging.
Old 01-17-2006, 06:53 PM
Paul902
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ked
good advice here on weatherstrip / seal protection. I have found that the best liquid treatments (303, Vinylex, 3M Rubber Dressing, Wurths, etc) are great for active use scenarios (exposure in daily / weekly driving inc bad weather & sun exposure). Talc is great for periods of storage where there is minimal environmental exposure. Note that alot of rubber parts are dusted w/ talc prior to packaging.

Thanks for the advice, gents. I used 303 Protectant. I shall have to put talc on my list of products as well.

Quick Reply: How do I preserve rubber door seals?