Thinkin' about buying my first 356...

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2003, 01:49 PM
JMc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jeff,

Thanks for the good advice and outstanding offer - I will think about that and get back to you. How far are you from "occupied territory?" And yes, please post a photo...

I do have a great garage - actually used to think it was the greatest ever until I saw some of the others here, especially Robert's. Still a nice one, though, with plenty of room to accomodate a 356. Also, I (very) fortunately never have to really participate in the DC rush hour.

I really do think I'm perfectly set up in just about all ways to enjoy owning and driving a 356. The only gotcha will be finding the car - it has to be a late model B/C coupe, and be "good to go" in current condition. A relatively recent (quality) restoration would be ideal. My new, logical plan is to be patient and be on the lookout constantly and ready to commit at a moment's notice.

Robert - I really enjoy your photos. You ought to upload them to a Rennlist gallery so we can all drool at the totality of your enviable position. Next time you're laying on your back on your garage floor, point the camera at the ceiling for us - looks awsome. Also, how'd that Speedster PPI go?
Old 12-26-2003, 02:31 PM
RJT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 341 Likes on 152 Posts

Thanks Jim......The Speedsters PPI still remains UNDONE!!!!! I guess this is a bad time of year to get someone to break away from everything to "fight" the traffic etc. to do the inspection. Both guys I called were unable to get it done before Xmas and now they are out of town until Jan 5th. I've got a couple more people I can contact to see if they can do it for me. If not I'll fly out for the day and do my own inspection. Pretty expensive for a spur of the moment flight though. I could just drive out to see it and tow my trailer, that way if it is a done deal, I would just bring her home with me.
Old 12-26-2003, 03:02 PM
RJT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Oh yeah.. here's some pics of the garage ceiling that you asked for. Those are all unbuilt plastic kits of Porsche's. I've been a Porsche model builder since I was a kid. I sort of ran out of room and got the idea of attaching them to the ceiling while laying on my back one day!

Old 12-26-2003, 03:15 PM
Jeff Ward
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hi Jim, I should pick up the "new" 356 this coming Monday. I'll post some photos as soon as I have it. I live in Waynesboro, Virginia, which is right where the Skyline Drive ends and the Blue Ridge Parkway begins. It is about 140 miles to Washington DC from here. You're welcome to drive my car around to your heart's content, but it won't take you long to know that a 356 is a wonderful piece of vintage machinery. Also, to make your trip more productive, I've got a friend with a great Porsche shop here in town. He currently has a sunroof coupe, a nice 356 SC, a superb original Speedster and I'm sure a visit to his shop while you are here would be interesting and educational..
Talk to you later, Jeff
Old 12-26-2003, 04:17 PM
JMc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Jeff - sent you a PM. Sounds absolutely great!

Robert - I guess I have to admit that you're becoming my Rennlist idol. I like the way you operate, your "style." Both your cars and how you approach them is impeccable. My 993 is outstanding but still a 68K mile driver, my enjoy-the-car self-defense against lifetime ****-ret tendencies which I will surely apply full force to a 356. Let's see, if I can get the wife out of her 328i and into a Cayenne, then my 4Runner goes to make room for the 356... Hey, I'd be an "East Coast Robert!" That is, except for the garage...

Am reposting the photo of the "356 that got away" that I posted to the mongo-Photoshop thread. Yeah, the 18" turbo twists are silly but remember, it was a Photoshop thread - proof that "I got it bad."
Attached Images  
Old 12-26-2003, 05:47 PM
hoffman912
The Hoffinator
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts

actually thats not so far fetched, here is a 356 SC at jack staggs 356th day of the year party held on monday, with turbo twist wheels.

Old 01-02-2004, 02:22 PM
Kooks996
5th Gear

hi
it's realy nice!
Old 01-03-2004, 02:25 AM
Kooks996
5th Gear

Hi, the silver 356 is nice!
Old 01-03-2004, 01:22 PM
JM
Track Day

RJT 993,

How about some pics of your speedster?

I am thinking bidding on a speedster from EC myself.

jason
Old 01-03-2004, 03:27 PM
RJT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Jason......Which Speedster are you interested in? They have three in their inventory right now. I know of a nice one in Minn. for 60K.
I didn't buy the one I originally started to. I may go to barrett-Jackson to check out the one they will be auctioning off in 3 weeks.
Old 01-03-2004, 03:42 PM
JM
Track Day

The '55 looks pretty good. The price is a little above what I was looking to spend though.

I will send you a PM

jason
Old 01-03-2004, 06:02 PM
RJT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Jason.....I PM'd you back.
Old 01-09-2004, 08:52 PM
Jump2xs
Intermediate

The more you look at these 356's the more you will like them--quite addicting indeed. I started with a new 993 and now I am hooked on 356's

Some great advice would be to join the 356 Registry. The resources in the magazine will save you thousands of dollars in the long run.

http://www.356registry.org/

Attend some local shows and events....find a mentor.

I am familiar with EC and have looked at several of their cars. They have some nice ones for sure. PM me for further details.

Educate yourself about thes little charmers as nightmares frequently lurk underneath the cosmetics.
A PPI should only be done by a 356 expert or professional. I know a fair amount about these cars but I still get second opinions from experts.
I would never--NEVER buy one of these cars without looking at it myself unless your aren't concerned with the details. Even the nice ones have things that may not concern your inspector, but will drive you mad and cost you money.

Like anything else, educate yourself, as it will help prevent heartache and add to the enjoyment. Above all be, patient and don't grab one right away.
If you like your 993 you will adore the 356.
Good luck and PM me for some more tips.
Old 01-14-2004, 12:29 AM
Ottosvenice.com
AutoX

This is for sale.
Attached Images  
Old 02-07-2004, 01:23 AM
NWEuropean
3rd Gear

Default Re: Buying a 356- a good idea?

Originally posted by Jeff Ward
Hi Jim,
If you drive a good 356, you'll immediately know why the original VW design was called KDF, or "Strength through Joy". The sheer satisfying pleasure of driving a 356 is something I've not experienced in any other mode of transportation (other than possibly my first successful ride on a two wheel bicycle when I was in elementary school). But the joy is not through sheer strength, but from a marvelous combination of simple but effective design and a wonderful light touch to the controls...
I am glad to hear this, but would love to hear more. Having not driven a 356, but lusted after them for more than 20 years now, I know that in the next year or so I would like to make a significant investment in my "toy" car in the garage. Currently I have a 69 BMW 2002 that is such a joy to drive it always gives me a smile. It is not stock, nor is it all original, but it has great paint, chrome, interior, and dual sidedraft Webers, plus the great panasport wheels. I really do enjoy the 2002 as you might be able to tell.

But, in the grand scheme of what I should pour 20-30K into (thinking about a serious project with the 2002), seems to me a 356 Coupe is a better long term investment. I want an investment that I can drive and enjoy in the sun on those glorious days, but I fear that the driving experience will be different than the 2002 and not as "vintage, alive, and fun" all in one. I had a 1970 914 for a number of years (did more sitting than driving...), and it was fun, but not like the BMW. I know, 914, not the same...

Anyone have a direct comparison on these two cars? I know, I know, long shot, but thought I would ask. Guess I need to get serious this summer and start looking and see if I can drive one.

Quick Reply: Thinkin' about buying my first 356...