Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AiM RS3 and MXL2 and MXG relaesed

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2015, 08:17 PM
gobuffs
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I updated to 3.04.00 last night after seeing this post (thanks Matt), however, when I go online with the dash, RS3 crashes. There is a new version today 3.04.01 and it is even worse...same crash, but can't transmit a configuration to the dash.
Old 02-27-2015, 03:05 PM
gobuffs
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

3.04.04 fixed the crashing issue, but I had to reinstall the USB driver located in the AIM_SPORT/RaceStudio3/Driver_USB folder
Old 03-30-2015, 01:56 PM
kb58
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm new here but not new to cars and I found Rennlist during a search on the AIM MXS. I have a request for both the MXG and MXS and that's to allow users to *not* display gear and a numerical rpm value. Both consume valuable screen space that could be used for other things. Not many of us have sequential gear boxes, plus everyone uses the bar graph and lights to know when to shift anyway; why the need for a fluctuating four-digit number that's impossible to read?

That said, I know it's a very new product and will take time to evolve, but sometimes having less makes the produce more useful.

FWIW, here's what it's going into. More info at www.midlana.com, but it's around 1700 lbs and 450 hp

Last edited by kb58; 03-30-2015 at 05:14 PM.
Old 03-30-2015, 03:56 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,006 Likes on 601 Posts

Originally Posted by kb58
I'm new here but not new to cars and I found Rennlist during a search on the AIM MXS. I have a request for both the MXG and MXS and that's to allow users to *not* display gear and a numerical rpm value. Both consume valuable screen space that could be used for other things. Not many of us have sequential gear boxes, plus everyone uses the bar graph and lights to know when to shift anyway; why the need for a flucuating four-digit number that's impossible to read?

That said, I know it's a very new product and will take time to evolve, but sometimes having less makes the produce more useful.

FWIW, here's what it's going into. More info at www.midlana.com, but it's around 1700 lbs and 450 hp

Cool car!

You're not alone in that request. The best thing to do it make this request with AiM as well. While we dealers communicate this info back to AiM, it's always good for them to hear it from the actual customer as well.
Old 04-01-2015, 11:00 AM
kb58
Advanced

Just received my MXS and set to work configuring it. Here are a few things I ran into.

1. If the "Transmit" button is grayed out, it's because you accidently chose the other dash model, MXG in my case.

2. I was still unable to upload a new configuration (even though it said it was now uploading successfully). I finally got it to work by downloading AIM's default configuration from the dash, and was then able to modify the configuration and upload it. BUT, even though I had selected psi, degrees F, and mph, my preferences did not affect the dash's default configuration. It was still all metric and in the configuration setup screen I wasn't given the option to change units.

Questions:
Something is going on regarding uploading configurations, it always reports a successful upload yet sometimes the changes do not take effect (even after power-cycling the dash). Is there something I'm doing wrong?

How can I change the display units in a configuration? Even though I set them in preferences, apparently if a config is downloaded from a dash, the units can't be changed, which doesn't make sense because everything else was changeable.

Thanks (I sent this to AIM as well but figured this could help others, and I might get answers more quickly).

Last edited by kb58; 04-01-2015 at 11:28 AM.
Old 04-01-2015, 11:07 AM
amso3
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Have you talked to your AIM Dealer?
Old 04-01-2015, 11:34 AM
kb58
Advanced

Will do, but it means that no one benefits from the open discussion.
Old 04-01-2015, 12:00 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,340 Likes on 1,895 Posts

Will do, but it means that no one benefits from the open discussion.
The dealer should always be your point of contact. There is an MXL2/MXG discussion group list that you can join by pinging Jeff Wasilko forthe best "open discussion" to answer these items.

These are specific requests that you would benefit by having your dealer walk you through this for your particular application.

Besides, this should be in the Data Acquisition and Analysis Thread above, not in the general area. You might get answers quicker there.

Best, Peter
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 04-01-2015, 03:43 PM
kb58
Advanced

Thanks. Pegasus put me in touch with "the guy" regarding AIM dashes.
Old 04-01-2015, 04:20 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Thanks. Pegasus put me in touch with "the guy" regarding AIM dashes.
Good, hope it works out.

There is no question the documentation is slim and that many of the features are not fully enabled, but a good dealer who has many units in the field and is IN the field tending to these questions frequently can really be a good thing.

As Joe Hulett told us all at a MoTeC training seminar, these aren't "blister pack" devices that are sold plug n' play. There are SO many fitments and individual applications that for that, it's impossible.

While Pegasus, Discovery, OG and others offer great and convenient sales outlets for these not inconsiderable investments, often folks' best bet is to buy from a dealer who is in the field, will configure the components before they go out, will support and be responsive to questions and concerns and generally, have a LOT more "hands on" experience with this technology and these components.

Jerry, Matt, Dave Ferguson, myself and others have invested a great deal of time and effort providing the best support we can, not only to those who have purchased from us, but to Rennlist lurkers and others. Our education, our investment in stock and technology is key to our success. But we need the business to continue to do this. No margin? No mission!

Good luck and glad they were able to help.
Old 04-01-2015, 04:54 PM
kb58
Advanced

Thanks. To be fair, I only found this site AFTER ordering the dash. I had no idea that there were so many dealers out in the field who help customers in person, though it makes sense. The only local dealer near me has a 6-yr old website which doesn't include any of the newer AIM stuff, so that was rather off-putting. Had I'd known about this site, perhaps things would have been different, alas.
Old 04-01-2015, 04:57 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,006 Likes on 601 Posts

Thanks. To be fair, I only found this site AFTER ordering the dash. I had no idea that there were so many dealers out in the field who help customers in person, though it makes sense. The only local dealer near me has a 6-yr old website which doesn't include any of the newer AIM stuff, so that was rather off-putting. Had I'd known about this site, perhaps things would have been different, alas.
No worries. With all the big retail outlets, it's hard for people to know about all the other people in the field. You're data guy ends up being like your mechanic, doctor, dentist, etc. You find someone you like and then work with them. You know you're always taken care of, get great service, and can trust what they tell you.

Feel free to post your questions up and we'll help with them as much as possible.
Old 04-01-2015, 05:30 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
Feel free to post your questions up and we'll help with them as much as possible.
Best place is the dedicated Data thread at the top of the forum page. Cheers!

Quick Reply: AiM RS3 and MXL2 and MXG relaesed