Sponsored by:

Cayenne suspension problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2015, 06:40 AM
gwaimie69
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cayenne suspension problem

Can anyone help, this problem has been torturing me for months, I live nowhere near a porsche dealer and have been trying to solve this myself but to no avail, I changed the wheels to 20s and stupidly did not turn off the air suspension, upon finishing i raised car to max and lowered it to max, but now the lhs is stuck at its max and RHs seems low, im not exactly sure which is out but I'm thinking the lhs is not dropping at all and stuck at its highest point. I have purchased a durametric cable and tried to reset but it doesn't move on lhs. I've changed the ride height sensor but again no change. Whatever is causing this issue is the same on the front and rear. The vehicle is now out of mot and I can't drive it to anywhere that can fix it. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated?????
Old 01-21-2015, 10:29 AM
gwaimie69
Intermediate

Further to the info above, after a little research im thinking the pressure holding valves on the top of the struts maybe faulty, as the other side moves during the durametric test but lhs does not!! I think it may be stuck which is not allowing it to purge air leaving it stuck at its max height! Thoughts anyone???
Old 01-21-2015, 10:37 AM
hahnmgh63
Three Wheelin'

Received 63 Likes on 58 Posts

I would think it was just a fault after having jacked it? Now that you cleared the fault with Durametric it still won't work? Then you need to clear the fault again and go through the Suspension Calibration section. Get a good short Ruler or straightedge and read up about it first.
Old 01-21-2015, 11:01 AM
gwaimie69
Intermediate

I have done that over and over but still refuses to budge, the drivers side moves as it should but passenger side is just stuck at maximum height. Fault codes were cleared and re calibration done but no joy
Old 01-21-2015, 04:48 PM
AGARubberDuck
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 17 Posts

Can you hear hissing on the side that won't raise? When I blew out an air spring I could hear it trying to inflate for a bit before the trouble code would come on.

On a side note, I've read many people warning against jacking it up without first disabling the self-regulating, but I had the on jacks many many times without so much as a warning light afterwards. Of course now that I know better I disable it for safety and stability.

Edit: I re-read your list post. Nevermind, I see your issue is being stuck at max level, not riding on the stoppers.
Old 01-21-2015, 06:22 PM
hahnmgh63
Three Wheelin'

Received 63 Likes on 58 Posts

Might try taking it for a short spin around the neighborhood and see if anything happens when it senses motion, should attempt to lower itself from the high setting?
Old 01-21-2015, 06:30 PM
gwaimie69
Intermediate

I've driven it for quite a distance and it doesn't change, I've been doing a bit research myself and I think it's now pointing to the pressure valves on the struts themselves, aparantly if I remove the hoses to the 2 high corners it should sink and showing the nasty culprits as these!!! I will give it a try but am away from home for a few weeks so it's gonna have to wait. Any other ideas im all ears and big thanks to anyone who has offered assistance !!!
Old 01-21-2015, 07:16 PM
Shannon123
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If this were my situation......I would swap a sensor from the side that is working to the side that is not working, attempt to raise/lower......see what information you gather from that swap.

Also....your saying that using your Durametric, you recalibrated the suspension ? The Dumrametric accepted and learned the new values you put in ? If so, I think that still points to the sensors.

Maybe run it thru the lock and unlock sequence a few times as well ?
To 'lock' in the suspension, I believe you start the car, leave it in park, and hold the ride height lever down for 30 seconds or so. It'll beep and you can then jack up the car normally. To 'unlock' it you just move the lever up or put the car in drive.
Old 01-22-2015, 04:47 AM
gwaimie69
Intermediate

Hi thanks for that, I already swapped the sensors for 2 I bought thinking that could be the issue. Still no movement, when using the durametric is does its own test but the passenger side did not move at all, drivers side raised and lowered no problem, trying to change any values on the passenger side just brought up error.
Old 01-22-2015, 11:43 AM
Shannon123
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gwaimie69
Hi thanks for that, I already swapped the sensors for 2 I bought thinking that could be the issue. Still no movement, when using the durametric is does its own test but the passenger side did not move at all, drivers side raised and lowered no problem, trying to change any values on the passenger side just brought up error.
If it just bringing up errors when trying to recalibrate, then that's a problem I encountered when trying to lower. Are you getting a Air suspension faulty - workshop fault along with that ? The combination of those two is what I had which resulted in me (trial and error ) trying to find a calibration number that would work (accept and learn). I would continue using the Durametric and try to find calibration numbers that it will accept (keep track of where your at with the numbers). Until you find acceptable and learned numbers (all 4 channels) that your module will accept, I think your problem will persist.

Last edited by Shannon123; 01-22-2015 at 12:47 PM.
Old 02-23-2015, 03:33 PM
gwaimie69
Intermediate

I have since replaced both pressure relief valves and have the same issue, the car sat at an acceptable level and then after a minute or so decided to raise the passenger side to maximum height again. So to recap I have changed both pressure relief valves, height sensors and tried calibration. Any ideas??
Old 02-25-2017, 11:12 AM
madub83
6th Gear

so whats was the issue here ?
Having the same kind of problem.

thanks !
Old 02-25-2017, 12:33 PM
DWPC
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I'd suspect the sensors since the problem came with the new wheels/tires. What's the difference in overall tire OD between the old wheel/tire and new? Orig. sensor may be trying to attain a hgt (based on the OEM tire ref. hgt) that's outside the range allowed by the new tire wheel diameter. Or the sensor developed some kind of "hard spot" after years at the same tire dia.

Quick Reply: Cayenne suspension problem