Sponsored by: APR

GT4 - Unlocking the Power Potential!

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2015, 09:07 PM
matttheboatman
Rennlist Member

Received 610 Likes on 235 Posts

^^^^^^^^^^^^^Agree 100%.

I credit John at BGB for inventing and proving the concept. And, for paving the way for Porsche to bring it mainstream. When you think about it, it is really amazing in this modern era that these guys took an ordinary off-the-shelf 3.8ltr engine and ran it around the clock in the Daytona 24 hr race. That sounds like a story from the 60s. Yeah, they earned my respect.
Old 09-23-2015, 09:30 PM
GAZZ
Pro

Received 83 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Ochocoronas
^^^^^ What about a new rear toe link so we can use smaller wheels?
+1
As well, I need them adjustable so I can set up the neg cambler properly.
Ones with a smaller knuckle joint would help too.
Old 09-24-2015, 08:31 AM
Bonzai30
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I think you forgot to add upgraded LSD to the list. I'm curious how much better an aftermarket LSD would be.

With respect to the lightweight flywheel, I'm wondering if you've yet had the chance to weigh the stock GT4 flywheel to see how much weight savings it offers. I'd also be curious about the NVH impact at idle. If you've installed one, I'd be curious to hear the car at idle.

Thanks.
Old 09-24-2015, 09:27 AM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 591 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by Bonzai30
I think you forgot to add upgraded LSD to the list. I'm curious how much better an aftermarket LSD would be.

With respect to the lightweight flywheel, I'm wondering if you've yet had the chance to weigh the stock GT4 flywheel to see how much weight savings it offers. I'd also be curious about the NVH impact at idle. If you've installed one, I'd be curious to hear the car at idle.

Thanks.
100%! Matt at Guard is going to kill me for forgetting to list the beefier clutch type LSD that we run in everything else. He told me last night that he has sold over 400 of these LSDs to 987 customers since he started with them in 2009.

As for flywheel weights, a 991 flywheel weighs about 23 lbs or maybe closer to 25 lbs; the GT4 flywheel has a different part number and is rumored to be lighter and I think that is what i feel when I drive the customer cars that have come through here. So, I think we can assume the lowest weight we know of, 19lbs. for the OE GT4 flywheel so you have a 16 lb option and an 11 lb. option. I don't like the gear lash noise that comes from the installation of these single mass aluminum wheels so we have started sourcing sprung hub clutch discs to dampen the clutch and get rid of that noise at idle for either flywheel option. Thus far on the 981 GTS we just did, no chatter at idle.
Old 09-24-2015, 11:20 AM
GAZZ
Pro

Received 83 Likes on 50 Posts

GT4 has a LWFW already, so say Porsche marketing.
Compared to a 987.2 if you rev and lift off the RPM drops way quicker...FWIW.
Old 09-24-2015, 11:52 AM
GT3 Nut
Rennlist Member

Received 172 Likes on 83 Posts

John,
I will be in touch about a package of goodies for my car...
I have not yet received my car but from what I am hearing I am going to want to make some upgrades...
Maybe I shouldn't have sold my BGB 3.8 Conversion!!!?
You did a great job on that and now I will have to spend a bunch of money to get my incoming GT4 to the point we had my 3.8 Conversion....
Your conversion cars are a great option and in many ways makes more sense than a GT4....
If I only appreciated that before I sold my car....
Old 10-15-2015, 04:50 PM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

What began with 3 years of Internet stalking, forum frequenting and straight up obsession will soon culminate in ownership and warranty compromising modifications. At the end of the day, I'm just a guy who always believed this car should have more power and now I'm a guy who firmly believes it should get the 430 crank HP it deserves!

Old 10-15-2015, 04:54 PM
asamhall
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Congrats John. Can't wait to see it!
Old 10-15-2015, 05:48 PM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Received 891 Likes on 337 Posts

Bets on how long it will take? I'm going with under a week
Old 10-15-2015, 05:54 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,802 Likes on 2,167 Posts

John, does Cargraphic have a non-cat header for the GT4?
Old 10-15-2015, 07:40 PM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3
I think Fabspeed does.
Old 10-15-2015, 10:51 PM
Skeptikal12
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

Wonder if a "keep your warranty DIY" package could be made available that would tip the car over 400hp? Because the car is new, I think you could get a few extra buyers that have 400hp envy but don't want to compromise engine warranty or deal with CEL lights.

Having said that, maybe it isn't possible as the car needs the plenum and theottle body and that requires a shop along with risks at the dealer.

Originally Posted by BGB Motorsports
100%! Matt at Guard is going to kill me for forgetting to list the beefier clutch type LSD that we run in everything else. He told me last night that he has sold over 400 of these LSDs to 987 customers since he started with them in 2009.

As for flywheel weights, a 991 flywheel weighs about 23 lbs or maybe closer to 25 lbs; the GT4 flywheel has a different part number and is rumored to be lighter and I think that is what i feel when I drive the customer cars that have come through here. So, I think we can assume the lowest weight we know of, 19lbs. for the OE GT4 flywheel so you have a 16 lb option and an 11 lb. option. I don't like the gear lash noise that comes from the installation of these single mass aluminum wheels so we have started sourcing sprung hub clutch discs to dampen the clutch and get rid of that noise at idle for either flywheel option. Thus far on the 981 GTS we just did, no chatter at idle.
Old 10-15-2015, 11:12 PM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3
Yes they do. It was actually our race header from the 2010 Cayman program that was used to make their OBD compliant longtube race header with cats. When I first contacted them for the DFI car, they only made headers with cats in longtube form, which I wanted because I'm obsessed with torque more than ponies. The manifolds without cats make substantially more power vs the OBD ones but given the amount of West Coast folks, we don't even market them to the 50/50 people who drive track and street because it won't pass smog given the lack of a cat.

http://www.teambgb.com/CARGRAPHIC-981-LONGTUBE-RACE-MANIFOLDS-p/perp81fkr.htm

The tuner in Germany won't let me release the dyno graph but it's north of 425 at the crank with the race manifolds and all bolts-on in the form of Stage I hardware. The only OE intake/exhaust part in the mix is the stock PSE muffler. As far as max potential, having discussed what they found in the OE firmware, it's safe to assume at this point that the car in race trim running race gas, lightweight flywheel, pulleys, race headers, race mufflers and the larger 82mm intake setup with filters can get just under 450HP @ the crank. It was my intention to make 455HP with all that stuff AND the x51 Power Kit heads so I think we can exceed my original expectations. The first go around though will be without the x51 and with full Stage I parts and gearing to see if everything is happy with electronics so I can report back to everyone.

I found something online called a "minicat." I found it on google when I was doing homework to confirm whether or not someone else had the idea to make a baby pseudo cat as a threaded insert for your exhaust. Once I found the web site I had to deal with the reality that I wouldn't be retiring as a thousandare on minicat sales. I have customers in the DR and in the states running them. I think they're good for about 10 track weekends before you neuter them from driving on track at WOT.

Most people though are afraid of the sound and the pending CEL and let's be honest, when you let the car warm up and it's idling at 1150 RPM, they're not stealthy and definitely put you within earshot of your neighbors.

Last edited by BGB Motorsports; 10-15-2015 at 11:35 PM.
Old 10-16-2015, 01:14 AM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 940 Likes on 544 Posts

sheeeeet...bring it! I'm 1% of the way there with my toe-arms...
Old 10-16-2015, 01:46 AM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,802 Likes on 2,167 Posts

Originally Posted by BGB Motorsports
Yes they do. It was actually our race header from the 2010 Cayman program that was used to make their OBD compliant longtube race header with cats. When I first contacted them for the DFI car, they only made headers with cats in longtube form, which I wanted because I'm obsessed with torque more than ponies. The manifolds without cats make substantially more power vs the OBD ones but given the amount of West Coast folks, we don't even market them to the 50/50 people who drive track and street because it won't pass smog given the lack of a cat.

http://www.teambgb.com/CARGRAPHIC-98.../perp81fkr.htm

The tuner in Germany won't let me release the dyno graph but it's north of 425 at the crank with the race manifolds and all bolts-on in the form of Stage I hardware. The only OE intake/exhaust part in the mix is the stock PSE muffler. As far as max potential, having discussed what they found in the OE firmware, it's safe to assume at this point that the car in race trim running race gas, lightweight flywheel, pulleys, race headers, race mufflers and the larger 82mm intake setup with filters can get just under 450HP @ the crank. It was my intention to make 455HP with all that stuff AND the x51 Power Kit heads so I think we can exceed my original expectations. The first go around though will be without the x51 and with full Stage I parts and gearing to see if everything is happy with electronics so I can report back to everyone.

I found something online called a "minicat." I found it on google when I was doing homework to confirm whether or not someone else had the idea to make a baby pseudo cat as a threaded insert for your exhaust. Once I found the web site I had to deal with the reality that I wouldn't be retiring as a thousandare on minicat sales. I have customers in the DR and in the states running them. I think they're good for about 10 track weekends before you neuter them from driving on track at WOT.

Most people though are afraid of the sound and the pending CEL and let's be honest, when you let the car warm up and it's idling at 1150 RPM, they're not stealthy and definitely put you within earshot of your neighbors.
I live in Nevada which doesn't have the People Republic of California smog rules, besides I don't like following rules and don't care what my neighbors think. What's the pricing for non-cat Cargraphic headers?

Quick Reply: GT4 - Unlocking the Power Potential!