Sponsored by:

Borla Exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2008, 06:07 PM
gerrygug
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Borla Exhaust?

I am looking for a little more sound from my Boxster. Does anyone have a Borla?
What do you think? Any recommendations for another brand?
Old 11-13-2008, 07:26 PM
Turboflyer
Pro

You can certainly do what you like. I dont mean that in a smart *** way. Just do yourself a favor an hear the one you want on a car like yours. That way you will not be surprised at either end of the spectrum. One persons cool is anothesr what the hell.
Old 11-13-2008, 10:48 PM
Rhonda@FVD
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Turboflyer
You can certainly do what you like. I dont mean that in a smart *** way. Just do yourself a favor an hear the one you want on a car like yours. That way you will not be surprised at either end of the spectrum. One persons cool is anothesr what the hell.
Turboflyer is absolutely right. Mufflers are totally subjective.

Since you are starting to do your homework on what sound will work for you, you may want to listen to this Dansk muffler.

http://jpgroup.dk/sstudio/?car=1&type=Dansk

Contact me directly to get the latest FVD forum member discount!

Rhonda Roxburgh
+1-954-571-2050 x 1
rhonda.roxburgh@fvd.net

Want to learn more about us? Click here...

Old 11-14-2008, 09:29 AM
JohnVitamvas
Instructor

Originally Posted by gerrygug
I am looking for a little more sound from my Boxster. Does anyone have a Borla?
What do you think? Any recommendations for another brand?
Between 2,500 and 3,000 RPM the Borla will make your head feel like it's going to explode with resonance. It really is that loud.

If you can completely avoid that range of RPM, it sounds great.
Old 11-21-2008, 07:53 PM
smshirk
Three Wheelin'

That's normal highway speeds if your cruising the speed limit right? I tend to drive in 4th most of the time in a 6 speed and stay in the 4k range when possible. What sounds best there?
Old 11-24-2008, 06:11 PM
smlporsche
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

If you're a little handy you can make your own PSE (Pedro Sport Exhaust)

http://www.pedrosgarage.com/Site%203...the%20PSE.html

Pedro is the absolute king of the Boxster hacks and I have heard his PSE on his '97 and it sounds great!
Old 11-28-2008, 09:47 AM
ofishbein
Advanced

Another piece of advice: Listen to an example in person. You may be tempted to go with what you see and hear on a You-tube video but it's hardly representative of what the sound is like in the real world.
Old 11-28-2008, 10:11 PM
gerrygug
Instructor

After extensive research I went with the Fister Sport Exhaust modification which is similar to the Pedro modification referenced above. The Fister modification is essentially the Porsche sport exhaust bypass without the bypass solenoid. I am very happy with the results. Here is a link so you can see and listen. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKVSHq7DteQ
Darin Fister does excellent work at a reasonable price. If you are just looking for a little more growl from your Boxster or 993 give him a call.
Old 11-28-2008, 10:43 PM
gerrygug
Instructor

Forgot to add that there is no irritating resonance at cruising speeds. When you put your foot down it growls and when you let off it returns to a reasonable level for conversation or listening to the radio. At half the cost of a sport muffler I could not be more pleased.
Old 01-02-2009, 01:48 PM
Jay Laifman
Pro

I would second that you HAVE TO drive a car with it already to see what you think. I have read countless posts on this site and others about the dreaded drone. I sort of dismissed it as overly sensitive people. But, then I drove in a buddy's with the Borla. Yes, it is only in a narrow range. Yes, it wasn't a typical freeway range. BUT, it was definitely on street driving range. No, when I first started driving it around, I noticed it and shrugged it off. But, then after the time passed, kind of like that Chinese water torture, JUST MAKE IT STOP! It drove me nuts. He eventually switched to the Dansk because of the drone. Sadly, the Dansk wasn't much different of a noise from stock.

Personally, I paid the big $$$ for the 2003+ PSE, and the sound is amazing. I'm very happy with it. In fact, when I stood on it through a tunnel on the way to PCH, the scream scared me! (I do think that the physical location of the exhaust and the insulation in the car make it so that no matter what you do, the Boxster will be a little on the quiet side to the driver)

FYI, the 2003+ PSE is the Porsche factory sport exhaust made in 2003 and on, not the factory sport exhaust prior to 03. The one prior to 03 has those "Sebring tubes" which come around the back of the exhaust and go into the two exhaust tips, which have those little holes on the perimeter of them. The 03+ one does not have those pipes. It does have the larger diameter exhaust tips. A few notes, because some people say they have a PSE but they don't really. All the 03+ pipes had the larger diameter tips. But, the real PSE had those pipes that came out of the top of the muffler on each side, going through a big valve and then back into the muffler. The pre 03 one had the same pipe and valve, but rather than going into the muffler, they came all the way across the back into the tips.

Also, note that there are some people who picked up after market exhaust that had similar looking pre 03 tips, with those holes around the perimeter, and thought they too had the PSE. But, unless it has those valves and pipes, they are not PSEs.

Finally, I have admit that I still wanted it louder than the 03 PSE, so I put in sport cats (from Dansk) and did the de-snorkle. Still not as loud as my 73 911. But ZERO resonance, just great music.
Old 01-06-2009, 03:20 AM
Ipecac
Advanced

Originally Posted by gerrygug
Forgot to add that there is no irritating resonance at cruising speeds. When you put your foot down it growls and when you let off it returns to a reasonable level for conversation or listening to the radio. At half the cost of a sport muffler I could not be more pleased.
The youtube video sounds awesome -- how much did you pay for them? And after having them for a few weeks... still no dreaded drone?
Old 01-06-2009, 12:14 PM
gerrygug
Instructor

The modification runs between $275-300 depending on the model of your car.
I am completely satisfied with the mod. No drone at any speed, just a nice growl when you put your foot into it. The cost is obviously just a fraction of what a new muffler would be.
Old 01-06-2009, 05:49 PM
gerrygug
Instructor

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/pts/980449224.html
Here is the link for more info
Old 01-07-2009, 11:46 PM
Ipecac
Advanced

Thanks for the link -- it might be a bit troublesome since I'm up in Canada... it'll be a bit more difficult to swap/ship mufflers... I'll email him...
Old 01-09-2009, 04:50 PM
powderhound
Intermediate

LPMM for the boxster, nice.

check 993 forum for LPMM.

Quick Reply: Borla Exhaust?