Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would You let some one else Drive on track?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2017, 11:49 AM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 664 Likes on 357 Posts

Originally Posted by Blue Chip
Yes - with very little issue. I'd assume that all of the insurances are in place - but sure. A few laps at the limits of the car....why not....
"I'd assume that all of the insurances are in place"?! Since virtually all vehicle insurance is not valid at a track, unless someone pays the substantial fee for specialty track insurance for the day, and most don't, I have no idea why anyone would assume this. You should at least demand to see the policy and check the details/exclusions yourself. Personally with my car I still wouldn't do it.

But I do I agree with MaximumA about parades laps, but even then only for trusted family and close friends. I've even let my teenage son drive the car in moderately fast parade laps at COTA.... but I've been training him for a long time.
Old 01-19-2017, 10:33 PM
z3mcoupe
Rennlist Member

Received 178 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by 997_Toronto
Not unless I knew and trusted the driver.
This. I recently let my buddy whom I'm know well, and he's a very experienced track driver, tho has never driven a 997 on track. I was fully insured as was he, and I was a bit nervous initially, but we ended up both having a great experience.

I got to see what the car was capable of in the hands of a more talented and track experienced driver.

I'd never let anyone else drive my car unless I knew them AND trusted their ability as a driver, not to wreck and not to abuse my car.
Old 01-21-2017, 02:46 AM
MaximumA
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

It really depends on the driver. I'm happy to let my brother drive (he borrowed the 911 for a couple of weeks, while I was off collecting airmiles, and his car was under maintenance), but on the other hand, I wouldn't let one of my best friends have a go: he's just not a talented guy behind the wheel ... I also have a couple of talented friends who run their own track cars, but won't take my car out, as they say it's not worth the risk to the friendship.

As to the OPs question, I think it's more trouble than it's worth.
Old 01-21-2017, 10:27 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,171 Likes on 3,935 Posts

2 things no-one else drives - my wife and my p-cars, and she only drives 3 of the 5.
Old 01-21-2017, 07:06 PM
ColoradoMark
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I let Michael Gallati and Randy Pobst drive my MINI at an Audi event years ago at Second Creek Raceway. It was a pretty dedicated track car so no big concerns. Not sure I would loan out the Porsche. If I was to do it I would insist on being able to ride along for a few laps.
Old 01-22-2017, 01:45 PM
tomc_mets
Sir Thomas Lord of All Mets Fans
Rennlist Member

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts

Wife - yes. Best friend - yes. My dog - sure, if she ever asks. Anyone else - nope. If the person is more important to me than the car, they can drive it. If not, buy your own dang 997!
T
Old 01-22-2017, 02:14 PM
peterhorten
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts

No. I drive frequently on tracks. Too much issues, insurance, accidents, wear, etc. Risk of being angry and disappointed afterwards. Especially regarding a stock 997 - would you not care about a single scratch from a flying stone in your bumper? I would.

Last year my best friend drove on track few laps and afterwards both we knew that is was not a good idea.

You write "...pay me what ever I want for the day..." I mean, for 10.000 maybe. But that´s not realistic. Never for 1000.
Old 01-22-2017, 09:23 PM
Irisheyes
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

F**K NO!!!
Old 01-22-2017, 09:41 PM
Mumbles
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Lending your car to someone who's not used to driving your car, then add him getting his monies worth by booting it could spell DISASTER.
Old 01-22-2017, 10:09 PM
sc235813
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

fock no. it's a stupid ask imo. regardless of the cause.

unless, of course, you don't give a **** about your porsche.

i find it alarming that you'd even consider the offer.
Old 01-24-2017, 02:51 AM
Jason F
Instructor

Default I've let a friend drive my 911 on track for a session.

We're both driving instructors and he is one of few I would trust. I did however insist that he leave on traction control as his normal track car is a VW GTI.
Old 01-24-2017, 12:52 PM
MaddMike
Drifting

Received 1,737 Likes on 846 Posts

I would be more inclined with a PDK than a manual for over-rev reasons.

I was nervous letting a potential buyer test drive my Carrera as he was not familiar with the gear box and all it takes is one missed shift.

That being said, I probably still wouldn't do it.
Old 01-24-2017, 12:56 PM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 345 Posts

Originally Posted by KeepItTidy
I have a nearly stock C4S, I've been asked to loan my car for the day for some demonstration (i don't have much info yet). They will have some racing driver do 3 hot laps in the morning and 3 hot laps in the afternoon. (at Kyalami) Will my car survive? (keeping in mind its got road pads) Mods are : Lowered with Springs, Spacers, Aftermarket back boxes and CAI. Why you ask? I'll put on new PS tires that morning and they'll pay me what ever I want for the day. Worth it? Would you?
What's your upside in this? Your username "KeepItTidy" answers the question.
Old 01-24-2017, 01:40 PM
gungriffin
Intermediate

Originally Posted by KeepItTidy
I have a nearly stock C4S, I've been asked to loan my car for the day for some demonstration (i don't have much info yet).

They will have some racing driver do 3 hot laps in the morning and 3 hot laps
in the afternoon. (at Kyalami)

Will my car survive? (keeping in mind its got road pads)
Mods are : Lowered with Springs, Spacers, Aftermarket back boxes and CAI.

Why you ask?
I'll put on new PS tires that morning and they'll pay me what ever I want for the day.

Worth it?
Would you?
Could you post any details on what they are offering you at the moment? Is this an official Porsche group or who is it? I will never say never without some additional details. I would write down what I would want to loan the car out (for your own reference point) and then I would ask them to provide an offer to start. That way you can see if you are even in the same ballpark, and because you have written your number down there is no changing it.
Old 01-24-2017, 01:43 PM
Ynot
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I let my friends and family drive my Porsches around the neighborhood. On the track is a whole new level of trust. That I will not allow unless you agreed to pay for any damages that might incur.

Quick Reply: Would You let some one else Drive on track?