Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone in the Ft.Lauderdale city area that could look at a car?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2014, 12:27 AM
tbrom
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Update

Well last nite I took Sandwedge's advice and contacted the dealer about the car. I discussed a possible selling price and asked a few more questions. The answers were decent and lo and behold when I got up this morning I was contacted by someone in the area willing to "lay eyes on the car" - what a relief. He's a nice guy, talked with him today and feel pretty good about what he is going to do. He saw the post this morning I suppose.

As I had mentioned he's going to take a look at it both inside and out and talk with the dealer just to get a feel for him in person or them. There are more than one guys there. I've been contacted by 3 different people there and on was the owner. I think they'd like to sell the car. They made me a pretty good counter to my proposed price. I hope to get it down a bit more and really at this point it is all about the bucks. If I can't get it in range of my budget then I'll have to pass no matter what the deal is. I just have a budget and I'm stretching a little at that. It's just such a nice car with the right options - more than I could really hope for and surely a better deal than on any similarly optioned car I've seen in my over a year search.

We'll see what happens -so I guess I'm still on the trail with this one guys. I'll have a PPI done after I get the report from my RL volunteer! A very nice guy. He wrote me in private and so I'll respect that.

Thanks again for all the kind words from several of you and all those that posted. I hope everyone knows what a great bunch of folks we have on this list! I surely do!

More to come....: ) Keeping fingers crossed on this one....

Tim
Old 11-18-2014, 09:45 AM
awrryan
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by tbrom
Well last nite I took Sandwedge's advice and contacted the dealer about the car. I discussed a possible selling price and asked a few more questions. The answers were decent and lo and behold when I got up this morning I was contacted by someone in the area willing to "lay eyes on the car" - what a relief. He's a nice guy, talked with him today and feel pretty good about what he is going to do. He saw the post this morning I suppose.

As I had mentioned he's going to take a look at it both inside and out and talk with the dealer just to get a feel for him in person or them. There are more than one guys there. I've been contacted by 3 different people there and on was the owner. I think they'd like to sell the car. They made me a pretty good counter to my proposed price. I hope to get it down a bit more and really at this point it is all about the bucks. If I can't get it in range of my budget then I'll have to pass no matter what the deal is. I just have a budget and I'm stretching a little at that. It's just such a nice car with the right options - more than I could really hope for and surely a better deal than on any similarly optioned car I've seen in my over a year search.

We'll see what happens -so I guess I'm still on the trail with this one guys. I'll have a PPI done after I get the report from my RL volunteer! A very nice guy. He wrote me in private and so I'll respect that.

Thanks again for all the kind words from several of you and all those that posted. I hope everyone knows what a great bunch of folks we have on this list! I surely do!

Tim
All this and you're not even sure you can afford the car. Sounds like a wild goose chase to me and that you don't mind making other people spin their wheels which is consistent with what I thought about you calling people out for not volunteering.
Old 11-18-2014, 11:50 AM
tbrom
Racer

Originally Posted by awrryan
All this and you're not even sure you can afford the car. Sounds like a wild goose chase to me and that you don't mind making other people spin their wheels which is consistent with what I thought about you calling people out for not volunteering.
You know awrryan I've gone light on you cause I figured you're the type that offers little and likes to belittle. Are you incensed because you think you've waisted some of your precious time? What is it with you; must have been out of the room when your Mom told you- "if you can't say something nice don't say anything at all". You have offered nothing - your advice hasn't even been advice; it's just been you on the defense or busting my chops.

You let me worry about affording the car and you go and find another thread to "contribute" too- how's that sound to ya. You've worn out your welcome here with me.

There is an art to making deals and I'm still working on this one. I just have Certain limits that I'd like to stay within and it may all just work out fine. I'll be sure to let those of you that care know how this turns out. If you've noticed there have been over 500 that have read this thread. It's not to read your posts I don't think, awrryan. So please feel free to not help me in the future and save your non helpful opinions for someone else.

Thank you,

Tim

Last edited by tbrom; 11-18-2014 at 12:14 PM.
Old 11-18-2014, 01:01 PM
Ynot
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Tim
Good luck, I hope a grand or two doesn't stop you from getting the car you want, getting a used car isn't like ordering one, where you get everything you want. Sometimes you have to settle on options and color b/c you no longer want to wait for the right one to come along. The right one doesn't come along too often.
Old 11-18-2014, 01:19 PM
tbrom
Racer

Default Ynot

Originally Posted by Ynot
Good luck, I hope a grand or two doesn't stop you from getting the car you want, getting a used car isn't like ordering one, where you get everything you want. Sometimes you have to settle on options and color b/c you no longer want to wait for the right one to come along. The right one doesn't come along too often.
I am thinking the same thing Ynot. This one is as right as they've come in all my searching which has been almost daily for over a year. The only thing I want to make sure of at this point is that the car is as represented. I have a fellow RL that has kindly offered to see it today or tomorrow. Then if that goes well it's up the street for a PPI at Champion. If that goes well and there is no hidden damage from a past accident that didn't show up on Carfax I will make a final offer.

You know my only alternative is going to a 2013 Boxster or an earlier 911, say 2009 or 2010. That wouldn't be bad but I haven't found one any better priced than this one that has similar options. Shopping with a budget in mind with 997.2's in mind isn't easy when trying to get options just right. We are close at this point and maybe I can figure out how to bring it in.

Thanks for your support.
Old 11-18-2014, 01:49 PM
awrryan
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 102 Posts

You know awrryan I've gone light on you cause I figured you're the type that offers little and likes to belittle. Are you incensed because you think you've waisted some of your precious time? What is it with you; must have been out of the room when your Mom told you- "if you can't say something nice don't say anything at all". You have offered nothing - your advice hasn't even been advice; it's just been you on the defense or busting my chops.

You let me worry about affording the car and you go and find another thread to "contribute" too- how's that sound to ya. You've worn out your welcome here with me.

There is an art to making deals and I'm still working on this one. I just have Certain limits that I'd like to stay within and it may all just work out fine. I'll be sure to let those of you that care know how this turns out. If you've noticed there have been over 500 that have read this thread. It's not to read your posts I don't think, awrryan. So please feel free to not help me in the future and save your non helpful opinions for someone else.

Thank you,

Tim
Thank you for going easy on me. Whats next on your list? Supervising other posts and responses and getting mad at others who don't respond? I really hope you get the car or another one you like, but I'm entitled to my opinion that you're a tire kicker who doesn't mind having other people go out of their way for no reason. I'm actually extremely generous and go out of my way for others all the time, no exaggeration. I have no way of proving that to you nor do I need to. The rest of your post sounds like it's coming from a teenager and warrants no further response.
Old 11-18-2014, 02:10 PM
tbrom
Racer

Originally Posted by awrryan
Thank you for going easy on me. Whats next on your list? Supervising other posts and responses and getting mad at others who don't respond? I really hope you get the car or another one you like, but I'm entitled to my opinion that you're a tire kicker who doesn't mind having other people go out of their way for no reason. I'm actually extremely generous and go out of my way for others all the time, no exaggeration. I have no way of proving that to you nor do I need to. The rest of your post sounds like it's coming from a teenager and warrants no further response.
There you go again with your insults - I'm a teenager, a tire kicker??? Give us all a break man. If anyone is "supervising" posts I guess the proof is that's what you've been doing on this thread - and others have seen the same thing. I still maintain that your posts here are not helpful but are accusatory and defensive as this one is. So please quit writing on this one and go check out my other posts - they are helpful with good advice. I am trying to be a good Rennlister and only offer opinions when they can help someone - check it out. You don't have to prove anything to me - just quit being negative. If I want to read some of your other posts I'll make up my own mind as to the helpfulness of them as you can with my other posts.

All I've done is ask for assistance - you don't want to provide it - ok - fine, that is very clear. Thank goodness others here really are helpful. I'm sorry if I hit your gripe button but why don't you wait till the dust clears before you make all these "judgments".

Thanks....oh, btw, when you go to make a deal on a used car do you just go in with an open wallet and pay the asking price? If they don't want to meet the price you offer do you just automatically cave and give em what they want or do you weigh the price vs. what they're selling? I do and that's what I'm doing now and my way. Thanks again...
Old 11-18-2014, 04:59 PM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

Some people here need a hug.

OP i'm a good 8 hour drive from Ft. Lauderdale otherwise i'd take a look.
Old 11-18-2014, 08:28 PM
tbrom
Racer

Originally Posted by Para82
Some people here need a hug.

OP i'm a good 8 hour drive from Ft. Lauderdale otherwise i'd take a look.
Thanks Para, I'm closer than you but I really do appreciate it. Sorry this thread has kind of taken a bad turn. Which car do you drive most the Mustang or the 911?
Old 11-18-2014, 08:33 PM
Sneaky Pete
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 35 Posts

For the love of God OP just drive the 3.5 hours and check it out yourself. If I was looking spending 62 big ones I would go myself. But what do I know I bought a 2005 CS2 just from pictures.

Good luck with research but sometimes if its to good to be true it usually is.
Old 11-18-2014, 09:02 PM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

Thanks Para, I'm closer than you but I really do appreciate it. Sorry this thread has kind of taken a bad turn. Which car do you drive most the Mustang or the 911?
911 is my daily driver so it see's a lot more road time, the Mustang is my weekend driver/track car.
Old 11-18-2014, 10:07 PM
Alex 911
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

There are two things going on here - a sign that they may be willing to let the car go for an extremely "reasonable" price and their bad reputation - those two things don't usually go together.
An extremely reasonable price and a bad reputation go together perfectly in a scam. All scams offer a great deal: that's the hook. Buy the seller.
Old 11-18-2014, 10:52 PM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 719 Posts

Originally Posted by Alex 911
An extremely reasonable price and a bad reputation go together perfectly in a scam. All scams offer a great deal: that's the hook. Buy the seller.
While that may be true, I bet I'm not the only one who's bought a near perfect car for an extremely reasonable price from a seller with a somewhat soiled reputation or no reputation at all. Nothing is cast in stone in the used car market except that due diligence is critical for anyone on the buying end of the deal.
Old 11-18-2014, 10:53 PM
tbrom
Racer

Originally Posted by Sneaky Pete
For the love of God OP just drive the 3.5 hours and check it out yourself. If I was looking spending 62 big ones I would go myself. But what do I know I bought a 2005 CS2 just from pictures.

Good luck with research but sometimes if its to good to be true it usually is.
I've bought from pictures to with a private seller, I can usually read an individual seller-that's pretty easy. Dealers are good at sucking you in- I'm trying to keep this dealer at arms length until he's proven out. There is a good reason to do it like I'm doing it. The fellow Rennlister will see it tomorrow. It'll all be over one way or the other soon. Sorry to drag you all thru this really.

It may not happen - it's a long story and you guys only know part of it.

Thanks
Old 11-18-2014, 11:10 PM
tbrom
Racer

Originally Posted by sandwedge
While that may be true, I bet I'm not the only one who's bought a near perfect car for an extremely reasonable price from a seller with a somewhat soiled reputation or no reputation at all. Nothing is cast in stone in the used car market except that due diligence is critical for anyone on the buying end of the deal.
Glad to hear that Sandwedge - if there is anything I'm trying to get right it's the due diligence. Even still like I've told the dealer since day one is that it comes down to the bottom line. I've pulled no punches with the dealer and there is a line and he knows where it is. Im not sure if it can get done even if the PPI is good. I don't know if we' ll get there.

Quick Reply: Anyone in the Ft.Lauderdale city area that could look at a car?