Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone in the Ft.Lauderdale city area that could look at a car?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2014, 07:52 AM
Little Green
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 47 Posts

Tim,
Congrats and go ahead and post some pics of your new car. Always enjoy seeing P cars
Old 11-21-2014, 10:50 AM
Alex 911
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by tbrom
I knew they had several cars to choose from so I tested a 2013 Boxster S, a 2011 Carrera S, and a 2014 Cayman base model. All great cars! I spent the longest time in the Boxster S.

What I'm about to say next may disappoint some and surprise others but I liked the. Boxster S the best. I liked the Cayman base model 2nd best and surprisingly the C2S came in 3rd! First of all the PDK is much more refined in the 2013 981, the 2014 base model although nice lacked the torque and punch of the S, but both were, to me, more fun to drive than the 911 S. After the other two the 911 was not as refined in general and not nearly as tossible.
Congrats on your new (to you) car! It sure feels good to have the CPO and backing of your dealer

I followed the same approach: Went to the dealer and test drove a new '14 Cayman, used (10K miles) '13 Boxster S, '07 C2S cab and '08 C4S Targa. Add to the 4 driven cars a new '14 Boxster that was available to buy but I didn't drive. All cars were priced 59.5K - 61K except for the C2S which was 55K and all used cars were CPO. I picked the last one I test drove: Targa 4S. The C2S cabriolet was my second choice the '13 Boxster S 3rd, new Boxster 4th and new Cayman 5th.
Old 11-21-2014, 11:20 AM
swordsmn
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well congrats to the new lawyer... Yes, today will be a good day for all of you.
I read you have owned 3 911's previously. I think I'm a 911 snob at heart, waiting 40 years to finally afford an 05 base Carrera, but the Caymans look good & I do hear good things about the Boxster S so I will lower the snob shields!
Well done!

BTW your dealer has been good to me the one time I used em to make 2 replacement keys.. not that great of a price lol but fair & a good experience.
Glad you've got a warranty but if you ever need an Indy, I know a great one up at exit 13.
Old 11-21-2014, 04:03 PM
Ynot
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I tested a 2013 Boxster S, a 2011 Carrera S, and a 2014 Cayman base model. All great cars! I spent the longest time in the Boxster S.

What I'm about to say next may disappoint some and surprise others but I liked the. Boxster S the best. I liked the Cayman base model 2nd best and surprisingly the C2S came in 3rd! First of all the PDK is much more refined in the 2013 981, the 2014 base model although nice lacked the torque and punch of the S, but both were, to me, more fun to drive than the 911 S. After the other two the 911 was not as refined in general and not nearly as tossible.

I had a choice between a new 2014 Cayman and the used Boxster S and based purely on the driving experience I bought the Boxster and it had 14k miles and was simply, for lack of a better term, awesome! Really awesome and it will do everything I need and carry all I need. I am so excited because tomorrow I drive it home.

I am so glad to have had a low mileage 911 S to drive and now I don't have to worry about whether. The C4S is the car with less than one year left of warranty. I now am warranteed till Oct 2018. What a relief that my search has ended and under budget- roll out at 63,650 not 70k.

Thanks everyone for hanging with me on this long journey but I'm happy to have a CPO and a dealer behind me; it is surely a good feeling to have the dealer support as well as many here! I'm now part of the Porsche family again! What a great feeling that is!
I am not surprised you brought the 981 Boxster S, it's so much better than the 997. People on the other forum said I was trolling when I said the 981 looks better, drives better, handles better, more refine. Steering feels better and they told me to take it to my dealer to check. lol, there is nothing to check. The 981 Boxster is a newer car and newer technology so it should be no surprised to anyone that it is better. I have both the 997 and a 981. Honestly prefer to drive the 981 more, 997 is only driven once a week now to keep the battery charged. 981 gets driven 4x a week. Congrats, you've made the right choice.

Here is mine, welcome to the 981 club, get your fixed at planet-9.com, it's very active community there.

Last edited by Ynot; 04-23-2015 at 04:57 PM.
Old 11-21-2014, 09:07 PM
street rod
Drifting

Received 222 Likes on 167 Posts

Wow this thread took a left turn. Congrats on the 981. You will love it and post some pics.
Old 11-22-2014, 11:24 AM
Sneaky Pete
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by street rod
Wow this thread took a left turn. Congrats on the 981. You will love it and post some pics.
No kidding
Old 11-22-2014, 12:50 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,170 Likes on 745 Posts

For all you doubters out there, it looks like Tom was a serious buyer after all.
Old 11-22-2014, 07:49 PM
tbrom
Racer

Well Ynot - you have an awesome Boxster and it has a bunch of super options! Wish I could have afforded that one but it looks like a real keeper. Did you buy it new? Most likely so cause I've never seen another like it. They had a really nice one at Hennessy that was out of my price range - it had everything - white with a special leather dash of cocoa and the rest was linen or pretty white but it had it all too except for PCCBs. Nice Man - how do you like the seats? That's the only thing I wish I could have found - my car with the 18 way Sport Adaptive seats. Awesome!
Old 11-22-2014, 08:09 PM
tbrom
Racer

Default The Boxster

Originally Posted by Wayne Smith
For all you doubters out there, it looks like Tom was a serious buyer after all.
Hey, you know as much of a tough time as I was having it's no wonder people wondered if I was serious. Sometimes I did ...: ) Paid cash for it - saved for it - in retirement you really don't want payments. But I will admit I did take a left turn but it wasn't because I didn't do my research or test out the cars - My wife is the one that deserves an award after putting up with me for over a year long search and then waiting and reading patiently on the couch at the dealer for - what, about 5 hours. Amazing - right. I test drove many and almost, almost - took out a loan for a really nicely optioned Caymen in Silver over silver grey interior with 14 way seats and the works on options - it was 77k - just didn't have it in me. Had to be "responsible" - not that buying any Porsche is responsible but hey it's these types of things that make life fun.

It is indeed a left turn though. I'm already trying to figure out what it would take to get to a dismantler and buy the 18 Sport adaptive seats or at least the 14 way sport seats with lumbar. But Hennessy was a great dealer - Scott my salesman was a really good guy - they made it easy - sold me the car for 1500 under the low price shown on KBB for my option list which was small. No nav - don't really need it if you have an Iphone - no sports chrono or PASM or X79 sports suspension, and on but it has the S engine.

One thing you'll notice in the 981 is that even though it doesn't have sport chrono is has a "sport" button which does exactly what the first sport setting does in sport chrono - no launch control but hey that isn't really needed. If they had a Cayman with the 14 way seats I might have bought the 2.7 new - but they didn't- The 2.7 is nice but you have to keep it on cam or it just doesn't perform - that's what sold me on the S - the S is ready to go anytime you just push on the loud pedal any amount. No waiting.

The other thing is the handling - it is amazing. Just so well balanced, truly a marvel - going around turns - it just goes - sticks like glue and never makes a sound - a true marvel. I imagine that the 991 is similar and works better as well - didn't drive one but hey didn't want to be bummed with my new car. I did drive a 911 C2S and it was just not there - once you drive the new PDK in the 981 or 991 - you will see the HUGE difference. It is just way better - and it's not some minor little re-flash tweak either. Just way more responsive - rev matches so much better. You feel like you in an F1 car. Mid engine tech is here to stay and goodbye manual shift too - I've been shifting gears my whole life and this is truly a massive step into the future of technology. That's my take.

Name:  IMG_0205.jpg
Views: 242
Size:  170.2 KB

Name:  IMG_0206.jpg
Views: 200
Size:  179.4 KB

Name:  IMG_0207.jpg
Views: 204
Size:  182.3 KB

Name:  IMG_0209.jpg
Views: 147
Size:  147.1 KB

Name:  IMG_0210.JPG
Views: 181
Size:  269.2 KB
Old 11-22-2014, 09:14 PM
SpeedyD
Burning Brakes

Received 165 Likes on 112 Posts

Nice Boxster and congrats! I looked at them too, along with Cayman S, but didn't really find them as much fun as the 997 911s. Definitely respect the grip and certainly as much performance as is usable on public roads. My BMW roadster gives me the old school roadster feel already, and I like the simplicity in that sort of car, so maybe that is why it never grabbed me. Enjoy in good health!
Old 11-22-2014, 10:07 PM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

Congrats and excellent choice. Funny a couple weeks back a white 2014 Boxster S crossed my path at a stoplight, turned to my wife and said...."we need to consider those."

Looked fantastic, 991 hasn't had that effect on me nor has the new Cayman, but the Boxster.....they got it right. Keep us posted on your driving experience.
Old 11-22-2014, 10:45 PM
tbrom
Racer

Originally Posted by Para82
Congrats and excellent choice. Funny a couple weeks back a white 2014 Boxster S crossed my path at a stoplight, turned to my wife and said...."we need to consider those."

Looked fantastic, 991 hasn't had that effect on me nor has the new Cayman, but the Boxster.....they got it right. Keep us posted on your driving experience.
Will do Para, so far it's been great. I agree on the looks, I think they got it right too. I think the Cayman looks good too. They were really dealing on the 2014 Caymans with deep discounts as in 9k! Only thing was the only S models were so highly optioned I couldn't afford them.

I hope to round up with others to do some driving. Up here in around Ocala over to Daytona on 42 there are some nice curvy sections. Nothing like Atlanta where I'm from but not bad. Unless others in the area here know of some good twisty roads I believe I'll have to north into north GA or up into NC/Tenn. I'm hoping to learn more about the roads here in North central FL. You really have to have twisting for these cars or you'll go crazy I think.

Thanks for posting,

Tim
Old 11-22-2014, 10:50 PM
beden1
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ynot
I am not surprised you brought the 981 Boxster S, it's so much better than the 997. People on the other forum said I was trolling when I said the 981 looks better, drives better, handles better, more refine. Steering feels better and they told me to take it to my dealer to check. lol, there is nothing to check. The 981 Boxster is a newer car and newer technology so it should be no surprised to anyone that it is better. I have both the 997 and a 981. Honestly prefer to drive the 981 more, 997 is only driven once a week now to keep the battery charged. 981 gets driven 4x a week. Congrats, you've made the right choice.

Here is mine, welcome to the 981 club, get your fixed at planet-9.com, it's very active community there.
I can understand why another forum said you were trolling, because with this post, you're trolling here too.
Old 11-22-2014, 11:16 PM
tbrom
Racer

Originally Posted by Para82

Originally Posted by beden1;1182384k1
I can understand why another forum said you were trolling, because with this post, you're trolling here too.
Wow, tough crowd here! Guess I'll be run off before long. I surely don't want to be labeled as a troll. But one day I hope to manage a 991 - one thing I'll say for Porsche is they never stop improving the product! It's truly amazing.

As an over a decade long PCA member one thing I appreciate is that we all are part of the Porsche family and that's nice. I hope that now that I'm a Boxster owner I can discuss driving experiences here without feeling like a troll. There are some nice guys here!
Old 11-23-2014, 12:38 AM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

Will do Para, so far it's been great. I agree on the looks, I think they got it right too. I think the Cayman looks good too. They were really dealing on the 2014 Caymans with deep discounts as in 9k! Only thing was the only S models were so highly optioned I couldn't afford them.

I hope to round up with others to do some driving. Up here in around Ocala over to Daytona on 42 there are some nice curvy sections. Nothing like Atlanta where I'm from but not bad. Unless others in the area here know of some good twisty roads I believe I'll have to north into north GA or up into NC/Tenn. I'm hoping to learn more about the roads here in North central FL. You really have to have twisting for these cars or you'll go crazy I think.

Thanks for posting,

Tim
Let me know if you're up for Sebring later this year or next, that track scares me but I need to return.

Quick Reply: Anyone in the Ft.Lauderdale city area that could look at a car?