Sponsored by:

Clutch pedal noise

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2006, 08:57 PM
clubrcr
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Clutch pedal noise

As I press the clutch pedal I hear a creaking sound from under the car, just ahead of the driver's seat, like there is a dry bearing or joint in the mechanism.
It's like opening an old barn door with rusty hinges. Anyone else with this sound? Any solutions?

Thanks
Old 08-28-2006, 09:12 PM
Kiko
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Spraying some proper thick lubricant on the clutch mechanism will help but the problem is not there... Your clutch is going South and its getting stiff, the extra load on the mechanism will make it creak... Mine has been exactly like this for 5k miles now but needs a replacment ASAP.
Old 08-28-2006, 09:18 PM
clubrcr
Rennlist Member

I would agree with that, but the clutch is not stiff. I had this same problem when the car had about 6K miles, it was still under warranty and the dealer said "it" ( I guess the clutch) was dry. They fixed it and now with 27K miles it is starting again. I did have a stiff clutch pedal sometime ago and replaced the slave and the accumulator, and now it works fine.

I remember the service manager saying it was just dry. I don't want to take it back, and would ratherfix it myself, so I was hoping there was an easy solution.
Old 08-28-2006, 09:47 PM
rocketrider2
Racer

I have what would appear to be the same problem. I have had it for awhile and I had the accumulator etc replaced a few thousand miles ago under warranty. What I noticed on mine is if the clutch pedal is pressed in and the car is in gear, either turned on or off, I get the squeak. If the car is in neutral either on or off I do not get the squeak.
Also just had the dreaded blown MAF on Saturday, dealer was great and had me in and out in no time. Yes on a Saturday, gotta give props to the Porsche Exchange.
Old 08-28-2006, 09:53 PM
clubrcr
Rennlist Member

My squeak happens with the car on or off, in gear or out. It happens only toward the bottom of the throw, or close to the floor. It also is not very noticable if i push the clutch in fast, but a slow push with the car sitting, I can really hear it.
Old 08-29-2006, 06:48 AM
Kiko
Racer

Clubrcr,

Its a dry mainshaft but since the clutch it self is most probabbly worn out the fact that the engine and gbox have to come out to put some copper grease where the throw out bearing runs makes this usually a clutch replacing job. I was cutting corners on previous post. Like I said mine's been like this for ages and pretend to run it to the rivets... I'm ordering a Sachs uprated clutch or I'll be going for an OEM reinforced clutch: the GT2's.
Old 08-29-2006, 07:25 AM
live2shift
Advanced

Kiko, why would a squeaky clutch pedal have anything to do with the clutch itself??

I have the exact same issue as you Clubrcr.
I will clarify, and Clubrcr, please confirm if this sounds like yours. My squeek comes from the pedal area which is no where near the clutch. The squeek happens at the bottom of the throw. I removed the plastic panel under the bonnet but there appeared to be no way to lubricate the clutch pedal and associated linkage.
Old 08-29-2006, 07:57 AM
clubrcr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by live2shift
Kiko, why would a squeaky clutch pedal have anything to do with the clutch itself??

I have the exact same issue as you Clubrcr.
I will clarify, and Clubrcr, please confirm if this sounds like yours. My squeek comes from the pedal area which is no where near the clutch. The squeek happens at the bottom of the throw. I removed the plastic panel under the bonnet but there appeared to be no way to lubricate the clutch pedal and associated linkage.
Livetoshift, Exactly...

Kiko. I am not disputing you, I can't seem to understand why that would be a clutch, since i had taken to Porsche dealership at 6K and they didn't say anything about that. I would imagine a dealership would want o put a new clutch for the money. Also the clutch itself is not acting strange, choppy or hard.
Old 08-29-2006, 08:29 AM
Kiko
Racer

You guys don't remember how the clutch was before because the increasing pressure has been progressive and the fact the clutch has a servo helps. The creaking comes from the added efford the dry input shaft is putting on the linkage. I spoke to several Porsche techs before realizing they were right. I had the same reserves as you but their reply was: " you'll see once you change the clutch how soft they are when new".
Old 08-29-2006, 08:49 AM
clubrcr
Rennlist Member

I agree, when I hadn't realized how hard the pedal had becme until I change my slave, but it was very easy to push afterwards. That was only two weeks ago.

It still seems pretty easy easy to push especially compared to the 993tt.
Old 08-29-2006, 06:00 PM
live2shift
Advanced

My car is new to me so I have no referecen as tohow firm the clutch pedal should be. I belive that the linkage or simply the bushing in the clutch pedal needs lubing. How do you access it??
Old 08-29-2006, 07:19 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by clubrcr
My squeak happens with the car on or off, in gear or out. It happens only toward the bottom of the throw, or close to the floor. It also is not very noticable if i push the clutch in fast, but a slow push with the car sitting, I can really hear it.
The MY99 996 had similar problems and parts were updated to solve the problem. Your 996TT already has updated parts but the TSB might be helpful at explaining some of the problem

Originally Posted by clubrcr
I remember the service manager saying it was just dry. I don't want to take it back, and would ratherfix it myself, so I was hoping there was an easy solution.
The bushings that the clutch pedal lever (except for the boost spring bearing points) rotate on are supposed to be lubricated with Optitemp LG2 grease.

Originally Posted by Kiko
Its a dry mainshaft but since the clutch it self is most probabbly worn out the fact that the engine and gbox have to come out to put some copper grease where the throw out bearing runs ... mine's been like this for ages and pretend to run it to the rivets... I'm ordering a Sachs uprated clutch or I'll be going for an OEM reinforced clutch: the GT2's.
If you are doing the install yourself don't use copper grease or the high pressure grease (Olista Longtime 3EP) that Porsche recommended for the pre-MY92 911 models and for various other parts of the 996TT clutch. The guide sleeve should be lubricated with Optimol MPO (it's white and milky).

Last edited by JasonAndreas; 08-29-2006 at 09:23 PM.
Old 08-29-2006, 07:25 PM
Kiko
Racer

Thanks Jason,

Unfortunately I don't have the means and there isn't an OPC which accepts the fact that I want to fit an uprated Sachs unit instead of the OEM stuff... So I'm kind of in a dead end here. Thanks for Optimol MPO tip though.
Old 08-30-2006, 08:25 AM
live2shift
Advanced

Thanks for the TSB Jason, that is really informative!!

Even though my car should have the updated parts in it per the TSB, based on it's mileage (52k) it may be worn out or require some lube. Based on the TSB it looks like the squeeking I have looks like it could be caused by a dry or worn power assist spring or master cylinder boost spring.

How do I access these parts, it looks pretty tight up there. Can they both be accesses from the drivers floor area? I want to start troubleshooting with some lube first.
Old 08-30-2006, 08:30 AM
clubrcr
Rennlist Member

live2shift, have you been up under your car and found the exact noise? I took off all the panels last night and found the noise to be above the transmission around the slave, although it actually sounded like it was either at the floorboard or underneath the front.

Although I am still looking for an answer on what the fix is, the TSB wasn't my problem.

Quick Reply: Clutch pedal noise