Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Classic Radio Navigation System in a 996?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2017, 07:17 PM
coguy
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by boingolover
So you're going on the assumption that there are unused (or otherwise unlabeled) pins on the connectors? Sounds a bit optimistic to me, the same optimism that keeps me buying lottery tickets. I'd love to be wrong, but no way I'm going to buy one to find out.
Well if you wanted to gamble here's picture of a harness which could be used to hedge your bet:

I used this ISO connector to RCA adapter in the "C1" location previously to utilize an aftermarket amp. I purchased it off of eBay but don't have a specific part number. However the item description was: 1 x Car ISO PIN 6 Adapter mini plug RCA socket x4

Anyways, just a thought...
Old 03-07-2017, 10:37 AM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,673 Likes on 923 Posts

Check this out people. What do you notice?

http://www.kraemerautomotive.com/en/home/
Old 03-07-2017, 10:56 AM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...-or-radio.html
Old 03-07-2017, 11:29 AM
Device2
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

B3, that Kramer-Auto Porsche Classic PCRN (2nd generation) radio looks like a nice alternative for that classic radio look with some upgrades.
Old 03-08-2017, 03:09 AM
ToreB
Rennlist Member

Received 376 Likes on 238 Posts

The Continental head units have the labelled in- and outputs only. There's no line outputs, nor any circuitry inside that could be enable to get this.
A line output could easily be done by using a LOC device. (speaker-line level converter) A proper plug-and-play harness for the 996/Boxster will take care of this.
Cheers,
Tore
Old 03-08-2017, 12:51 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by ToreB
A line output could easily be done by using a LOC device. (speaker-line level converter)
Speaker-to-line level converters are so 1980s.

Sound quality from those converters are so poor.

The Conti radios have so much potential, but without a clean way to send a audio signal to a frunk amp, most 996 owners will just purchase units from Alpine, Blaupunkt, Pioneer, and others that have been providing pre-amp outputs for more than 30 years.
Old 03-08-2017, 03:41 PM
DrBrain
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Kraemer is the maker of the Porsche classic car stereo but they ceased to sell those stereos retail. Currently none available on German or EU ebay either. I have one original Kraemer (KR737) in my 993 back in Germany. OK for the price (400 Euros). Krämer KR-737 is the same unit (with modified firmware) as the classic radio offered by Porsche for 1184 Euro.

Continental car stereos (as well as Axion and VDO brands) are made by Kienzle and geared towards commercial vehicles. I have not seen a single DIN radio by Continental with line level outputs. Also, these units offer a hands free Phone connection via BT, but to my knowledge they do not transfer your phone book to the stereo. Basic BT music streaming is provided, but not always reliable in my experience with intermittent drop outs.
Kienzle MCR 1016 has 4 line level outputs but it's style might be objectionable to Porsche style patrol.
http://www.hifitest.de/test/naviceiv...mer-kr-737_423 (In German, very positive review).
I have the 412UB (no CD) installed in my other car in Germany. The fit and finish are great, installation a breeze. Please remember that this unit does not have a line level (pre amp) output to use with an external amp. ... The internal amp struggles with loads < 4 Ohms and overheats and shuts off."
Old 03-08-2017, 03:48 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by DrBrain
The internal amp struggles with loads < 4 Ohms and overheats and shuts off."
Probably another reason not to use it with the 10 speaker/6 channel sound systems in the 996. Even if you use a low-pass filter for the door speakers, it will overheat since the subs are rated at 2 ohms. uggh.

But with base 4 channel Porsche sound systems, the Conti single DIN radios should work just fine. Unfortunately, most of the Mk2 996 cars have the HiFi and/or Bose systems which are 6-ch systems.
Old 03-08-2017, 03:54 PM
DrBrain
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

b3freK, you are right, 2 ohm or 1 ohm (as in cabs) will kill this radio. It is not very stable at 3-4 ohms either.
How about a
Becker Mexico Retro Becker Mexico Retro
for paltry 2,900 Euros?
Old 03-08-2017, 04:08 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

$3100 USD??? Ouch, pass the Vaseline please!

If you're going for a factory single-DIN look, then I think it makes better sense to purchase a used or refurbished CDR-220 which supports 6-chan systems. Those Mexico units look like they should be in a 1955 Chevy or something. Ha!
Old 03-08-2017, 04:34 PM
tharbin
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I started to get confused about which radio did what.

Just to clarify, the PCRN does work with the factory sound systems. It works directly with the Nokia (most common) and with an adapter the Blaupunkt sound systems. Since Porsche Klassik used it with the non-MOST Bose ststem, it must work there as well. It also has direct out 4x45 for the base systems.
Old 03-08-2017, 05:07 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by tharbin
I started to get confused about which radio did what.

Just to clarify, the PCRN does work with the factory sound systems. It works directly with the Nokia (most common) and with an adapter the Blaupunkt sound systems. Since Porsche Klassik used it with the non-MOST Bose ststem, it must work there as well. It also has direct out 4x45 for the base systems.
I believe you're right. The new Porsche radio will support speaker level at the HU as well as amplification signals on the back. Nokia made many frunk amps for Porsche over the years. Wonder if the connectivity is the same for 996 owners that have Becker amps? This definitely would NOT be for MOST based systems. Still, it's a big price to pay if it doesn't work.
Old 03-24-2017, 11:09 PM
dyerhaus
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Okay, I have mine PCRN installed in my 996 and it's absolutely beautiful! However, I have some fairly technical questions about it and I can't seem to find where to get support for this. I'm not having any problems, my questions are largely centered around the SD Card for music, and also maps. Does anyone know where one could find the answers to technical questions for this system?

I'll post pics later, I simply haven't had time to take any photos yet!
Old 03-25-2017, 10:19 AM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

The SD memory slot for music works in the same manner as a USB thumb drive. You save you music in a digital file like mp3, put the memory card in the slot, follow the playback instructions, and wahhh la... you have digital music. The Map memory card I assume is to store the most recent map information similar to the days of PCM1 and PCM2 where the map data was stored on DVD discs.

Old 03-25-2017, 10:21 AM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

It would be helpful to the Rennlist community if you'd post pictures of the install and your current OEM system. Thank you!

Quick Reply: Classic Radio Navigation System in a 996?