996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

My new '99 C2 Coupe Track Car

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2017, 02:17 AM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 47 Posts

Nice and having a lift is definitely great.The tranny and engine look deceptively small in the photo.
Old 01-19-2017, 02:53 PM
mrjonger
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Slakker

I moved my braking points back quite a bit but was still coming into the corners really hot. So I just kept the brake pedal mashed to the floor through the turn until it was time to get on the throttle. The first full lap of doing this dropped over a second off my personal best time. I was able to reproduce it a few other times during the day, mainly when chasing a C6 Z06. So it gives me something to look forward to next year and puts me only 3 seconds off pace with the class leaders. I think the FSI upgrade will get me another second and that dialing in the setup and improving my driving will put me in a good position to compete next year.
Nice thread! I cannot believe what some of you are able to accomplish in your home.

A seminal track event happened when I literally forgot to brake for a corner, the start of a tight S no less. I said screw it and cranked it left and quickly right (it was on a motorcycle) and I couldn't believe I made it. Then I realized how f*cking slow I was going before.
Old 01-19-2017, 03:07 PM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Received 294 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by mrjonger
Nice thread! I cannot believe what some of you are able to accomplish in your home.

A seminal track event happened when I literally forgot to brake for a corner, the start of a tight S no less. I said screw it and cranked it left and quickly right (it was on a motorcycle) and I couldn't believe I made it. Then I realized how f*cking slow I was going before.
I've heard a similar story, a guy went through a corner with no brakes and the instructor said "no brakes?" and the driver said "nope." Instructor was a little unsettled the student had decided to suddenly make the leap from braking there to not braking, but was proud of him. Soon after the student coasted to a stop. The student was less proud; when he said "nope" he meant that the car didn't have brakes any more, which is why he didn't use them.

Related: one of the instructor tricks for braking is to have people (with NO traffic behind them, obviously!) come to a complete stop when braking at their usual braking point. Usually the car stops about 100 feet short of the apex, sometimes more. If you can get the car to stop, you can probably brake a little later.
Old 01-19-2017, 03:45 PM
Slakker
Rennlist Member

Received 240 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Ahsai
The tranny and engine look deceptively small in the photo.
Are you making fun of my 3.4l? JK. The engine is actually set back a few yards which does create an interesting perspective.

Great stories. Like you always say DT, less brake more gas.
Old 01-19-2017, 03:51 PM
joseph mitro
Rennlist Member

Received 246 Likes on 160 Posts

enjoyed watching your video. 1:teens at that track would be incredibly fast
Old 01-19-2017, 04:16 PM
stan23
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice video Slakker - great driving.

Just noticed you are from OKC - sorry about the loss last night
Old 01-19-2017, 07:46 PM
Slakker
Rennlist Member

Tough loss against a good team. Truthfully though, this year's team is so much more fun to watch even though they aren't as talented. The iso Durant, iso Westbrook every play just got boring after awhile.
Old 01-19-2017, 07:59 PM
Slakker
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by joseph mitro
enjoyed watching your video. 1:teens at that track would be incredibly fast
I'm fairly confident that the car will be capable of it after all of the upgrades are complete. Whether or not my skill level ever will be is an entirely different matter.
Old 01-19-2017, 10:20 PM
911TTCAB
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice first job for the MaxJax Slakker! I have yet to pull the tranny and engine yet but I know it will be easier with it.
Old 01-19-2017, 10:47 PM
MiataR
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 10 Posts

Wow, you're officially my hero. Just got caught up with the entire thread and am impressed with the progress over the last 6 months.
Old 01-21-2017, 08:12 PM
Slakker
Rennlist Member

Thx Miata, looking forward to see what you project you come up with.

Moving on to suspension and brakes. I'm completely redoing both this winter even though I'm not a 100% sure I'll be able to tell the difference. For the record, the stock brakes on the C2 are really really good with the right pads. But I do think they are too heavily biased to the front.

But it all starts with taking apart the old.

Name:  photo217.jpg
Views: 390
Size:  1.07 MB
Old 01-21-2017, 08:59 PM
Warehouse33.net
Former Vendor

Looking good, hopefully this year we can do a couple track days together.

-Jason
Old 01-22-2017, 04:51 PM
Slakker
Rennlist Member

I'm going to be focused mostly on Hallet this year Jason so let me know when you are headed down. Otherwise maybe we can meet up at Heartland....

The outer tie rods were getting a little worn and had some rough spots around the outer edges. The inner tie rods were in a little better shape but I figured I'd replace both while it was easy.

Name:  photo414.jpg
Views: 366
Size:  965.7 KB

One thing I considered was replacing the thrust arms with adjustable monoballs. But at $1200 for all 4 I just couldn't pull the trigger. What I didn't realize though is that the stock thrust arms appear to be monoball under the rubber boot. Since my primary goal is to eliminate all rubber bushings (except sway bar) and connection points, replacing these is no longer a priority.
Old 01-22-2017, 06:31 PM
911TTCAB
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One thing I considered was replacing the thrust arms with adjustable monoballs. But at $1200 for all 4 I just couldn't pull the trigger. What I didn't realize though is that the stock thrust arms appear to be monoball under the rubber boot. Since my primary goal is to eliminate all rubber bushings (except sway bar) and connection points, replacing these is no longer a priority.
Yeah, I didn't replace the thrust arms either when replacing my suspension. I asked Tarrett about them and they did not think I needed them for my weekend track car. Suspension parts are big $$ for our cars. I have already spent crazy money on it and have an engine X51 upgrade/rebuild to do.
Old 01-22-2017, 10:06 PM
Warehouse33.net
Former Vendor

I'm going to be focused mostly on Hallet this year Jason so let me know when you are headed down. Otherwise maybe we can meet up at Heartland....

The outer tie rods were getting a little worn and had some rough spots around the outer edges. The inner tie rods were in a little better shape but I figured I'd replace both while it was easy.
There's a couple PCA events at Heartland this year, also a NASA event in May that I most likely will do.

-Jason

Quick Reply: My new '99 C2 Coupe Track Car