996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Today's Craigslist Finds...

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2017, 01:37 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

My general feeling is that if you want a garage queen to be a garage queen, buy low miles. If you want a car that can be driven and enjoyed for what it is, get something in the 70-100k range.
Old 03-30-2017, 01:44 PM
Drew M
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They're beautiful cars but I prefer to drive the hell out of a car than look at it. I was looking for more in the 50k range because I don't plan on keeping it more than 3 years. My viewpoint is that it'll be easier to sell a 70k mile 911 than a 100k mile car.
Old 03-30-2017, 04:16 PM
jaetee
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by gnat
Drew, for years there has appeared to be a correlation between low milage and problems. The IMSB failure, for example, has plagued more garage queens than DDs.

There are two underlying principles to this. The first is that fluids are not regularly circulated which allows things to dry out and age prematurely. The second is that such cars are less likely to get properly driven (fully warmed up, good revs throughout the range, etc..) which can have negative impacts to wear patterns.

That's not to say low milage is bad, but it's far from "well preserved" idea that most people have.
A third principle that I'll add to gnat's list, is that it can take upwards of 25k miles for the bearing to even reveal the issue...

I'll try to explain... Since single and dual row bearings are affected by the issue, there is a belief around this problem out there that roll-out in the actual IMS shaft itself is what ultimately causes the bearings to fail. The thought being the varying amounts of roll out in the shaft will slowly beat up the weakest point at the end points, being the IMS bearing, until it meets its untimely demise.

Only Porsche seems to know for sure EXACTLY what causes the IMSB to ultimately fail... and they aint talkin'. However, there have been engine builders who contribute to this site on a regular basis who have confirmed dissecting M96 and M97 engines and finding IMS shafts with rollout. Logic dictates that a dual row bearing (less than 1% failure rate) should hold up better versus such stress than a single row bearing (8-9% failure rate). And since both types of bearings have failed, one should look to what other parts they have in common and might be a contributing factor.

On the flip side of that, there have also been many M96 and M97 engine failures that have occurred where the IMSB got chewed up due to some other failure, but IMSB was the easiest explanation.

The general rule of thumb that seems to be holding true is that if you have a high-miles car still using it's original IMSB, you are generally safe. As to what that high miles number actually is, that's debatable. But, at 25k, you're right in that danger zone of when many of the 996 mkII and 997 IMSB failures started to rear their ugly head....
Old 03-30-2017, 05:53 PM
Drew M
Advanced

I tried to do some research but I couldn't find anything. What is shaft roll-out?
Old 03-30-2017, 06:00 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Drew M
I tried to do some research but I couldn't find anything. What is shaft roll-out?
The IMS shaft isn't true so there is a wobble.

It has also been found that there are manufacturing defects in some crankcases that cause alignment issue which cause stress on the IMSB.
Old 03-30-2017, 06:24 PM
Drew M
Advanced

And this stress wears itself into failure at ~25k. Ok this all makes sense. Kind of surprised it even lasts that long.
Old 03-30-2017, 06:49 PM
docmirror
Shameful Thread Killer
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts

It was mis-stated slightly. The IMS suffers from run-out.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Run-out

An eccentricity in the support surface or bearing support area which causes the shaft, or bearing, or both to wear prematurely.
Old 03-30-2017, 06:51 PM
Byprodriver
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 135 Posts

Excessive "run-out"
Old 03-30-2017, 07:00 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

And this stress wears itself into failure at ~25k. Ok this all makes sense. Kind of surprised it even lasts that long.
Some last less and some last longer, but as mentioned earlier 25k is considered by some as a risky area.
Old 03-31-2017, 10:35 AM
MikeinBloomfield
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts

I got some additional pics for this one: https://santabarbara.craigslist.org/cto/6067198063.html

Anyone see any issues?

Also:

Tidy Arena Red one in Oregon:

https://medford.craigslist.org/cto/6012476332.html
Old 03-31-2017, 11:17 AM
docmirror
Shameful Thread Killer
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts

I don't care for black, but that looks like a screamin' deal. Sport seats, and lots of leather inside. The arena red is my choice, but if you like black might grab that up.
Old 03-31-2017, 11:38 AM
MikeinBloomfield
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by docmirror
I don't care for black, but that looks like a screamin' deal. Sport seats, and lots of leather inside. The arena red is my choice, but if you like black might grab that up.
Thanks Doc. I am arranging a PPI for next week at Schneider Autohaus, who have seen the car for maintenance previously. No documentation but the PPI sounds comprehensive (Durametric, etc.).
Old 03-31-2017, 11:42 AM
islaTurbine
Drifting

Received 394 Likes on 253 Posts

The black one looks like it might have the thicker steering wheel option too.
Old 03-31-2017, 12:56 PM
Drew M
Advanced

Originally Posted by docmirror
It was mis-stated slightly. The IMS suffers from run-out.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Run-out

An eccentricity in the support surface or bearing support area which causes the shaft, or bearing, or both to wear prematurely.
Originally Posted by Byprodriver
Excessive "run-out"
Ohh, alright. I understand now
Old 03-31-2017, 01:14 PM
MoeMonney
Rennlist Member

Received 231 Likes on 127 Posts

The black one has a BBI sticker on the windshield. Thats a really good shop. It might have been serviced there. Probably was well taken care off.

Quick Reply: Today's Craigslist Finds...