Sponsored by:

Help with red trim interior upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2004, 04:05 PM
matterhorn762
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Help with red trim interior upgrades

I just bought a red exterior '99 996 and installed red Wet Okole neoprene seat covers. I'm looking to make a couple more subtle interior upgrades such as the e-brake and the shifter, possibly the door trim. I'm looking for something that is with a red trim, but I'm not looking to replace entire consols. Just subtle changes to add some personality.

Does anybody have anything for sale or ideas on where to look? Thanks!!

Last edited by matterhorn762; 02-28-2004 at 10:54 PM.
Old 02-28-2004, 04:17 PM
SANDOVAL
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

No offense...but you have leather seats for a reason, those covers look Horrible just my opinion though. No disrespect they just look cheap.

I would definatley go for a Red center console $350 30 min install(bumperplugs.com) and redseat belts would look great too!

Someone else just had a red trim thread and there were a ton of good ideas.
Old 02-28-2004, 04:45 PM
matterhorn762
Instructor

I put in the seat covers for a couple reasons:

1) I use this car to drive everywhere, including the gym. I'm tired of messing around with a towel to keep my sweat off the leather.

2) I can always take the covers off when I want the leather to show. This will also preserve the leather in the long run.

I think the seats look great in context of the exterior color:
Attached Images  
Old 02-28-2004, 08:48 PM
chitownbob
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Leather lasts a long time when properly cared for but you need to let it breathe. All it takes is a cleanup every 6 months or so with some Lexol and its no problem. I think these covers might eventually harm your seats in the long run. Not sure but might want to check it out.

Bob
Old 02-28-2004, 09:07 PM
matterhorn762
Instructor

I've had a Porsche for 5 years now (this is my second one), so I'm pretty familiar with its car care. The seat covers are made out of neoprene, which is the same material as divers wet suit. Not only are they soft and comfortable (they won't be cold in the winter and won't burn you in a hot summer like black leather tends to), but they are obviously very breathable since people wear them for extended periods of time, so I'm sure it's fine for leather. It only takes about 10 minutes to remove them so it goes without saying that I would perform leather maintenance on a regular basis anyway.

But I don't want to get too off track... my original question was about suggestions on where I can get red trim items such as a new shifter and e-brake? I think replacing the center consol with a red item would be too extreme for me. I'm also looking for black floor mats with red font.

Any links to the above or other suggestions are greatly appreciate. Thanks for your feedback.
Old 02-28-2004, 10:00 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

You could order shifter and handbrake in boxster red from Carnewal
http://www.carnewal.com/

Have you seen the red neoprene steering wheel covers that are available?
Cool to the touch in summer and offer improved grip
Old 02-28-2004, 10:20 PM
drafting
Instructor

www.gemballausa.com/996turbo_interior_2.asp

Gemballa carries quite a few 996 interior components in red which you can view on the above link. I've also seen red-hued carbon fibre on someone's website, but cannot recall where.

My NG interior is accented w/ a GR rear center console, seat belts, seat belt bezels, and sport seat backs. These few bits do a great job of breaking up an otherwise very dark interior layout and bringing the GR exterior into the cabin.

While you probably don't want to hear it, I concur w/ the others that the neoprene seat covers are a bit sub-par for a P-car. Kind of like the sterotypical sofa covers at Grandma's house . But hey, that's just one more reason that it is great to be an American - we can all tart our cars up however we'd like! fwiw......

Jeff
Old 02-28-2004, 10:23 PM
wilam
Instructor

Sorry, those seat covers look terrible!
Old 02-28-2004, 10:44 PM
matterhorn762
Instructor

Well, they are only seat covers after all. They can be taken off any time. I'm not trying to sound defensive, but for somebody who drives his 996 all the time, in any weather and to/from the gym, these seat covers are a great relieve to have. But as Jeff said, to each his own.

I tried to contact Gemballa last week, but haven't heard back from them. I even sent a friend to their Malibu address to look into it for me, only to find out they don't actually have a storefront there, only a reference address. I like the carnewal site, thanks for the link. I'm not a fan of Boxter Red interior when I have GR exterior, but it may be the best option out there.

By the way, I tried to resize my original picture so it would fit better on the screen but the forum won't let me add a picture when editing a post, so I'm putting it back up here:
Attached Images  
Old 02-28-2004, 10:52 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

There is another Porsche red interior color besides Boxster its called Lipstick red and its RED
Stop by your dealer and look through their hides samples
Old 02-28-2004, 11:22 PM
matterhorn762
Instructor

I did some research and dug up these pictures for everyone's interest:

Lipstick red:
Attached Images  
Old 02-28-2004, 11:25 PM
matterhorn762
Instructor

Default and boxter red

Boxter Red:
Attached Images  
Old 02-28-2004, 11:36 PM
SANDOVAL
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

WOW that is RED!
Old 02-29-2004, 12:37 AM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 904 Likes on 532 Posts

I am getting my shift boot died red and putting a carbon fibre insert **** in on my 964. I also ordered the guage surround covering material. I just dropped it off at a shop Friday and it will be red on Monday. I saw a picture of Sppedster with the red guage surround, red shifter and red seat back with red belts. I have the 964 Turbo S seats on the way and will be getting those done properly in red.

Not the same car, but I am using a limo custom shop to do all of this. It is pretty cheap. The shift boot can be died for about $ 85.00. Luckily, I will be able to go back to all basic black if I do not like. Just though I would give it a try and also trying carbon on the console betwen the seat of my 964.
Old 02-29-2004, 02:15 AM
chitownbob
Racer

That first red interior would look awsome with a black dash instead of red. Thats what the M# red interior looks like.
Bobby

Quick Reply: Help with red trim interior upgrades