Sponsored by:

This is just crazy...

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2015, 08:43 PM
mausone46
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JDHertz11
Maybe I'll start playing with my old Fiats more. Nobody seems to be discussing their value here.
Hopefully they don't skyrocket too!!
Old 07-07-2015, 02:09 AM
Skwerl
Drifting

Received 303 Likes on 185 Posts

Originally Posted by mausone46
Hopefully they don't skyrocket too!!
Just gotta put a bug in some rich guys' heads that yeah, maybe they don't give a hoot about Fiats now, but in 5 years, they'll be the hot ticket blue chip investment. Suddenly, the world will end if they don't have one sitting in their ~*collection*~. To the auctions!
Old 07-07-2015, 05:53 AM
JDHertz11
Race Car

Received 67 Likes on 26 Posts
Default This is just crazy...

All kidding aside, don't you guys ever get tired of talking about what the cars are worth? Do you think there will be as many talking if and when the values decrease? Maybe I'll start playing with 80's Chrysler K Cars...
Old 07-07-2015, 08:59 AM
pirahna
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 575 Likes on 364 Posts

Originally Posted by JDHertz11
All kidding aside, don't you guys ever get tired of talking about what the cars are worth? Do you think there will be as many talking if and when the values decrease? Maybe I'll start playing with 80's Chrysler K Cars...
I know someone with a dodge Aries with 2500 mikes on it, it would fit perfectly in your collection. Of course I would expect a handsome finders fee to get you in touch with the owner. Buy now before all the k cars reach their true market value.
Old 07-07-2015, 07:42 PM
JDHertz11
Race Car

Originally Posted by pirahna
I know someone with a dodge Aries with 2500 mikes on it, it would fit perfectly in your collection. Of course I would expect a handsome finders fee to get you in touch with the owner. Buy now before all the k cars reach their true market value.
****... How about Lada's?

http://miami.craigslist.org/mdc/cto/5107668179.html
Old 07-08-2015, 08:53 AM
993TurboS
Burning Brakes

Received 263 Likes on 116 Posts

The pristine ladas are probably up a bigger percentage than the 993 turbo yet were considered some of the worst cars ever made. I wouldn't be surprised if a pristine K car was up by 50% too.

Last edited by 993TurboS; 07-08-2015 at 10:18 AM.
Old 07-08-2015, 04:35 PM
JDHertz11
Race Car

So let's start a real pole here...

Do you consider yourself a "Porsche guy"

Do you consider yourself an investor

Do you consider yourself an in-between'er

Are you just posting here to raise your post count so you can list you car for sale without getting harassed?

Let me see if I can start a real pole...
Old 07-08-2015, 08:40 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

You mean poll?

I am just a guy with 22+ years of 911 ownership, 13+ years of 993's, so I am definitely an "enthusiast". The interesting angle is I have never had an experience where any of my vehicles has more than doubled in value in a short sprint, and a LOT of other options are now available - such as GT3's, GT4's.

My Turbo is now by far the most expensive car I have ever owned, but it was when I bought it too, just not this much! This value impacts how I use my car given its value has increased so much, and I would be naive to ignore that. Many forum members say it does not matter, but for me, it does.

My wife commented, give she is much smarter than I am, that this increase in value should be considered a gift - and I have the option of taking that gift to open other options. I know of many Turbo owners who have done that, moving to GT3's, GT3 RS's, etc. Still sticking to my 993, but man, some of those other cars are tempting ..

Cheers,

Mike
Old 07-08-2015, 09:02 PM
JDHertz11
Race Car

Originally Posted by Mike J
You mean poll?
I mean this app + iPhone espell check sucks!
Old 07-08-2015, 09:10 PM
Skwerl
Drifting

Received 303 Likes on 185 Posts

I'm younger than most of the owners here probably (32) but have been a Porsche enthusiast/owner since high school, when I worked and saved and bought my 2nd car, an 80k-mile 944S2. After that, I got a 944 Turbo, which I enjoyed through college and up until about a year ago as a daily driver. (I sold it last year to another young guy who sounded like a future Rennlister.)

I am just finally hitting an income level where I could have pretty comfortably swung my dream car, a 993TT, at its ~2013 pricing. Unfortunately, here I am, watching them soar to nutty levels beyond my reach because rich guys randomly decided they'll just die if they don't have one in their 8-car garage. Frustrating to say the least, especially as anything close to a reasonable price gets snapped up by dealers and relisted +$20k. (What, me? Bitter? )

I'll just have to keep saving and hope I can outpace the market inflation, but my suck timing is obviously gonna cost me big. I plan on keeping it for decades so I try to rationalize it that way.
Old 07-09-2015, 05:08 AM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 110 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Skwerl
I'm younger than most of the owners here probably (32) but have been a Porsche enthusiast/owner since high school, when I worked and saved and bought my 2nd car, an 80k-mile 944S2. After that, I got a 944 Turbo, which I enjoyed through college and up until about a year ago as a daily driver. (I sold it last year to another young guy who sounded like a future Rennlister.)

I am just finally hitting an income level where I could have pretty comfortably swung my dream car, a 993TT, at its ~2013 pricing. Unfortunately, here I am, watching them soar to nutty levels beyond my reach because rich guys randomly decided they'll just die if they don't have one in their 8-car garage. Frustrating to say the least, especially as anything close to a reasonable price gets snapped up by dealers and relisted +$20k. (What, me? Bitter? )

I'll just have to keep saving and hope I can outpace the market inflation, but my suck timing is obviously gonna cost me big. I plan on keeping it for decades so I try to rationalize it that way.
I'm 37 years old and bought my first Porsche at the age of 25! I'm a Porsche fanatic. And the reason I love Porsches is because I love to drive. I have to say the recent spike in value takes a little bit of the fun away from driving. When you are behind the wheel and think about consequences it spoils the fun. And I see people here on RL looking for parking spots in the next county to avoid door dings. That spoils the fun.
I use my 993tt as much as I can. Taking the family out on weekends/ kids to school! They love it as much as I do.
But I actually bought a street legal track/auto x 996gt3 last winter to satisfy my need to drive. That's the car I have the most fun in.
Old 07-09-2015, 06:45 AM
JDHertz11
Race Car

I'm glad you guys replied! To think that we're in the minority these days hurts. I'm slightly older than both of you but I understand just the same. I think there's no going back now and returning to reasonable values. Maybe the prices will drop 25% but not 50%. The discussions have turned from UMW hybrid setups to how much should I insure my car for. I posed the question on the NA forum probably a year ago, when will owning a totally stock 993 be fashionable? When will stock suspension setups be the topic of conversation? I've been fortunate enough to owned quite a few 993NA's and some 993TT's and I couldn't be happier driving my PSS9'd, modified muffler'd Fiske wheel'd 42K mile TT! I don't give a **** about the value of that car!
Old 07-09-2015, 08:56 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,371 Likes on 794 Posts

I got lucky with timing when I bought my car (also 25) in 2009, but it already had high miles (68k) so that it has 95k miles on it now just means I can drive it. It will never be the car someone wants in their collection and I'm fine with that. If the values continue to go up, cool. If they come back to earth, also cool. If i liked money more than the car, I would have sold it 5 times already, but I actually like to drive it.

I also think it looks much better than my 997TT and is more special to drive by a long shot.
Old 07-09-2015, 09:30 AM
Boober
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I may not drive my car as much as others but I still drive it as much as I can during the summer, even if that only means a few thousand miles a year. I still enjoy a lively value debate even though I will never sell. Part of it is the childish satisfaction that so many other folks desire and value (in the emotional sense) these cars as much as I do. To me, it means that, decades from now, they may be placed among the greatest cars of all time. In truth though, owning and enjoying my car is a personal experience and I couldn't care less what others think, especially in regards to the undesirable color and trim options on my car, it really only endears me even more.
Another reason why I think there are so many threads on value is that we are still dealing with nearly 20 year old cars, there is not much tech info that hasn't already been covered. Add too that they have been very reliable in comparison to even their chassis mates. Lastly, they are old enough to have been thoroughly developed in modifications and in the few trouble areas yet they are not old enough to be subject to classic car restorations.
Old 07-09-2015, 11:55 AM
DiegoR
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Skwerl

I'm 32 too and I was lucky enough two years ago to get my first P-car, my 993tt, another child dream I had. Sure I got a sweet deal and paid probably 2.5-3 times less from what it should worth nowdays. Now I got my C2 993 under project which I will drive the hell out of it and enjoy it as much as I can, since the turbo is mostly my "garage shop queen" as we don't have good roads to enjoy it like it should.

I have seen few 993tt out there with high millage for under 100k with record service, so you should keep a eye on those, it might a be a good alternative.

Quick Reply: This is just crazy...