993 Forum 1995-1998

Oil leaking & burning after adding 1/2 quart

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2013, 12:32 PM
gridlock61
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Exclamation Oil leaking & burning after adding 1/2 quart

I don't understand what is going on. It appeared that the oil level was down a smidge (see https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...the-place.html for odyssey on my first attempt at adding oil ), so added about 1/2 quart. Ever since then, once the engine gets fully warm, some oil has been leaking and burning somewhere, which gets quite smokey. Some smoke even comes into the cabin through the heater vents. After taking the car out and leaving in the garage for a while, several small small puddles of oil form on the ground near the engine. The oil pressure is reading slightly above 5 during running, and the temperate seems normal.

Another strange and maybe related issue is that after adding the oil a few days ago, I can no longer get the oil filler cap off!

Any idea what might be going on?
Old 09-09-2013, 12:48 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,371 Likes on 794 Posts

hmm, lot of issues here.

1. Most people run the oil level below halfway on the dipstick as running it higher can risk overfilling and higher consumption. I'm not sure what your level was, but you may want to take that advice.

2. If you have oil dripping down onto the heat exchanger, you will get smoke, smell, etc. Do you have oil spots on both sides or just the pass. side?

3. Oil pressure should only be five bar above say 2200rpm. At idle, it should be between 1.5 and 3 bar depending on oil temp/viscosity, etc.

4. Oil filler issue should be unrelated. Is it possible you put it on wrong and even more oil is spilling out since its not seated properly?
Old 09-09-2013, 12:56 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Sounds to me like the system is overfilled.

You might consider changing the oil & filters and simply adding 10 qts back in the system to reset your baseline. Naturally, you will need to clean up the oil leaks under the engine with lots of brake cleaner.

Remember, the dipstick is the "Gospel" for showing you correct oil level and its only accurate when the engine is hot.
Old 09-09-2013, 01:11 PM
gridlock61
Racer

Thanks for the responses.

When I checked the oil before adding, it appeared the level was on the low side on the dipstick twisted zone. That in combination with the oil level gauge measuring in the red at idle led me to believe that it was down a bit. Maybe the oil level gauge is not measuring correctly; is that something that is common to these cars?

I do notice oil on the ground on 2-3 spots (left to right) under the engine. The biggest puddle forms on the right side near the filler tube.

At most I added half a quart. I'm surprised that after several days of leaking oil, the level hasn't gone down enough not to leak anymore, but is still doing so.

It is entirely possible I put the filler cap on wrong (although it certainly seemed to go on fine). I also thought about the idea that oil may be spilling out the cap, although I didn't notice oil dripping out down the oil filler tube.
Old 09-09-2013, 01:13 PM
gridlock61
Racer

I also forgot to mention, that all the smoke seems to be coming from under the rear-passenger side fender.
Old 09-09-2013, 01:36 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Just to make sure you are hearing this: your engine must be FULLY warmed (hot), at idle, and on level ground when you check the oil level. My guess from your symptoms... you dribbled some oil on the engine when you added oil. Its really easy to do that.
Old 09-09-2013, 01:41 PM
zenithblue993
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

See if oil is dripping on the heat exchanger on the passanger side. It's right behind the wheel (engine trey removed). If the metal heat exchanger looks black from dried oil, then the seal is gone on the valve gasket which needs to be replaced. I got smoke coming from that area due to the oil leaking. Maybe from to much oil.
Old 09-09-2013, 02:09 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,371 Likes on 794 Posts

Originally Posted by dmurchison
See if oil is dripping on the heat exchanger on the passanger side. It's right behind the wheel (engine trey removed). If the metal heat exchanger looks black from dried oil, then the seal is gone on the valve gasket which needs to be replaced. I got smoke coming from that area due to the oil leaking. Maybe from to much oil.
lets go easy on the absolutes, huh?

oil puddling on the heat exchanger, especially on the passenger side, can be from other things.
Old 09-09-2013, 02:32 PM
vincer77
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Filling the oil above the half way point on dipstick caused my car to burn oil off manifolds/heat exchangers. Ever since I started keeping it at around half, it has stopped consuming oil. Do not rely on the oil level gauge until you are convinced of the relationship between it and the dipstick.
Old 09-09-2013, 02:36 PM
gridlock61
Racer

Originally Posted by vincer77
Filling the oil above the half way point on dipstick caused my car to burn oil off manifolds/heat exchangers. Ever since I started keeping it at around half, it has stopped consuming oil. Do not rely on the oil level gauge until you are convinced of the relationship between it and the dipstick.
What did you do when this happened? Did you take some oil out once you realized it was overfilled, or did you just let it burn until it stopped? Did you clean the manifolds and heat exchangers? If not, did it eventually stop smoking and smelling of burned oil?

Thanks
Old 09-09-2013, 02:40 PM
gridlock61
Racer

Originally Posted by ca993twin
Just to make sure you are hearing this: your engine must be FULLY warmed (hot), at idle, and on level ground when you check the oil level. My guess from your symptoms... you dribbled some oil on the engine when you added oil. Its really easy to do that.
Well, yes, I absolutely DID dribble some oil on the engine, since I initially didn't have a funnel with a long neck (yes I certainly learned my lesson!). I thought I had the car level and the engine hot when I checked the dipstick, but will be more careful next time about checking. Wow, this car is different and quirky!
Old 09-09-2013, 03:53 PM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Received 433 Likes on 272 Posts

Once you get the oil filler cap off, look down the filler tube. Do you see oil? If so, use a Mity Vac or a turkey baster and suck out that half-qt. you put in. As others have suggested, check on the topside of the passenger heat exchanger for trapped oil. If so, clean it up. Yes, they're quirky. The sooner you learn their idiosyncracies, the better.
Old 09-09-2013, 04:48 PM
ble2011
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

I've been able to open the oil drain plug when cold and let some oil drain out and immediately screw it back in. Kindy tricky, but it worked for me on an overfill situation.
Old 09-09-2013, 05:33 PM
gridlock61
Racer

Originally Posted by NC TRACKRAT
Once you get the oil filler cap off, look down the filler tube. Do you see oil? If so, use a Mity Vac or a turkey baster and suck out that half-qt. you put in. As others have suggested, check on the topside of the passenger heat exchanger for trapped oil. If so, clean it up. Yes, they're quirky. The sooner you learn their idiosyncracies, the better.
Will do (as soon as I figure out how to get the oil filler cap off, that is!), thanks.

Originally Posted by ble2011
I've been able to open the oil drain plug when cold and let some oil drain out and immediately screw it back in. Kindy tricky, but it worked for me on an overfill situation.
Ok, thanks, good to know that is possible. I would hate to have to drain all the all since I just got it changed.
Old 09-09-2013, 05:51 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

I suspect that NOW you know that adding oil to a 911 when the tank is almost full is a slow and tricky process. I usually put a rag down and around the fill spout in case it overflows, and then fill it S-L-O-W-L-Y, otherwise the oil backs up the fill tube, overflows, runs down the fill tube onto the upper sheet metal, leaks through, drip on the exhaust or pools on the ground on the passenger rear corner.

See it happen lots of times. Its does NOT mean you overfilled the oil tank, having oil backup on the filler when filling has nothing to do with the oil level, other than your tank is getting full. The best way of checking the oil level in the car is to have the car warmed up (min 1/3 up the temp gauge) and use the dipstick while the engine is idling, and on a level surface. Only if the oil is over the twisted section of the dipstick are you really overfilled and need to drain. Conventional wisdom is to put the oil level 1/3 up the twisted portion of the stick, this allows for oil expansion and leave plenty oil in the engine.

So, have you truly overfilled your tank, or you just overflowed the fill spout when filling the tank? Overfill may mean removing some oil, overflowed means just a mess. I hope that you get that these are very different.

Cheers,

Mike

Quick Reply: Oil leaking & burning after adding 1/2 quart