Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Added Oil, then it spewed out all over the place!

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2013, 02:54 PM
gridlock61
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Added Oil, then it spewed out all over the place!

Newbie 993 owner here. The engine was down a bit on oil (the oil gauge measured in the red, and the dipstick measured near the bottom, so attempted to add oil this morning.

A mechanic a spoke to mentioned to add oil while the engine is running and up to temperature. He also mentioned to insert a funnel with a long neck down the oil filler. I was in a bit of a rush this morning and did everything he mentioned, except use a funnel, which I didn't have handy, so I managed to pour it in without spilling much (I added about 1/3 quart).

About 20 seconds later, I start noticed a puddle of oil on the ground, exhaust pipe, and looked to where it was coming from. It was coming from under the bottom right-rear taillight where it's mounted in the back bumper! How in heck is the oil getting squeezed out in that area? It took quite a while for the oil to stop spewing out of that area. I did manage to buy a funnel with a long, flexible neck and added oil back. But now I have quite a bit of burning oil smoke and smell, presumably burning on the exhaust. Will that dissipate quickly?
Old 09-06-2013, 03:18 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 806 Posts

you have to top it off slow as hell. If you pour it in too quickly, it backs up in the filler tube and pours all over the place. Also, if you use the pull out tube thingy, its possible that is cracked or broken, also causing spilling.

If you don't want the oil to burn off the exhaust, you'll need to clean it. It tends to pool onto the heat exchangers so you'll get the smoke and smell.
Old 09-06-2013, 03:21 PM
gridlock61
Racer

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
you have to top it off slow as hell. If you pour it in too quickly, it backs up in the filler tube and pours all over the place. Also, if you use the pull out tube thingy, its possible that is cracked or broken, also causing spilling.

If you don't want the oil to burn off the exhaust, you'll need to clean it. It tends to pool onto the heat exchangers so you'll get the smoke and smell.
Thanks. I didn't notice a pull-out tube thingy; I imagine this would be inside the oil filler? I stuck my finger in there and didn't feel anything.
Old 09-06-2013, 03:23 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

you have to top it off slow as hell. If you pour it in too quickly, it backs up in the filler tube and pours all over the place.
+911!!!

I always forget this and make a mess. There is a little ledge below the oil filler tube where the oil will pool and unless you have tiny arms, it is difficult to get to to wipe up.

I usually wrap a rag around a stick and put it down there to clean it up.

In all my years of 911 ownership, I still screw this up consistently.
Old 09-06-2013, 03:55 PM
NYC993
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Im guessing you thought it was going in, while it was going out and dripping down. You also could have spilled some while trying to pour. I don't have a funnel, but I keep quart bottles half full so it's easier to pour if needed. Although I never needed to add oil. Not even sure why I keep it in my frunk.
Old 09-06-2013, 04:00 PM
gridlock61
Racer

Originally Posted by NYC993
Im guessing you thought it was going in, while it was going out and dripping down. You also could have spilled some while trying to pour. I don't have a funnel, but I keep quart bottles half full so it's easier to pour if needed. Although I never needed to add oil. Not even sure why I keep it in my frunk.
Well, I definitely spilled a little, but I am certain that the amount of oil that spewed out was > than what I spilled. My guess is that I poured it too fast, as Quad had suggested above. A funnel with a long flexible neck certainly does make it much easier to add oil without spilling. Interestingly, the funnel I bought has a filter screen built into it, which slows the oil going down the funnel, which works well with the 993 wanting oil added slowly.
Old 09-06-2013, 04:04 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by gridlock61
Thanks. I didn't notice a pull-out tube thingy; I imagine this would be inside the oil filler? I stuck my finger in there and didn't feel anything.
it is possible that it cracked and the PO simply removed it and did not replace it.

I took mine out and have not replaced it either. by this time, most are cracked due to age.
Old 09-06-2013, 04:06 PM
gridlock61
Racer

Originally Posted by Kika
it is possible that it cracked and the PO simply removed it and did not replace it.

I took mine out and have not replaced it either. by this time, most are cracked due to age.
Ah, that makes sense, thanks.
Old 09-06-2013, 05:43 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 415 Likes on 233 Posts

^ This.

Andreas

Quick Reply: Added Oil, then it spewed out all over the place!