Sponsored by: DashLynx

Oil leaking & burning after adding 1/2 quart

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2013, 06:17 PM
gridlock61
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike J
I suspect that NOW you know that adding oil to a 911 when the tank is almost full is a slow and tricky process. I usually put a rag down and around the fill spout in case it overflows, and then fill it S-L-O-W-L-Y, otherwise the oil backs up the fill tube, overflows, runs down the fill tube onto the upper sheet metal, leaks through, drip on the exhaust or pools on the ground on the passenger rear corner.

See it happen lots of times. Its does NOT mean you overfilled the oil tank, having oil backup on the filler when filling has nothing to do with the oil level, other than your tank is getting full. The best way of checking the oil level in the car is to have the car warmed up (min 1/3 up the temp gauge) and use the dipstick while the engine is idling, and on a level surface. Only if the oil is over the twisted section of the dipstick are you really overfilled and need to drain. Conventional wisdom is to put the oil level 1/3 up the twisted portion of the stick, this allows for oil expansion and leave plenty oil in the engine.

So, have you truly overfilled your tank, or you just overflowed the fill spout when filling the tank? Overfill may mean removing some oil, overflowed means just a mess. I hope that you get that these are very different.

Cheers,

Mike
Thanks for the detailed and clear explanation. It will help next time I need to check/add oil.

I do wish there was a note on the oil filler that read something like: 'Warning: Throw away all that you know about adding oil to to an automobile engine before attempting to add oil to this car; this is a Porsche air/oil cooled motor for god's sake and requires a special technique!".

Anyhow, I certainly learned my lesson, albeit the hard way. I ended up leaving the car at my local mechanic to work on something else, so will hopefully hear back tomorrow on what the issue is. Will report back once I find out.
The following users liked this post:
Caveman (04-21-2024)
Old 09-09-2013, 07:25 PM
NYC993
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Did you do oil change yourself? If you just added oil, how did you see the oil filter?
Old 09-09-2013, 07:55 PM
gridlock61
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NYC993
Did you do oil change yourself? If you just added oil, how did you see the oil filter?
I did not change the oil myself; I just tried adding some because I thought the level was a bit low. Not sure what you mean about seeing the filter though.
Old 09-09-2013, 08:53 PM
NYC993
Drifting

Originally Posted by gridlock61
I do wish there was a note on the oil filler that read something like: 'Warning: Throw away all that you know about adding oil to to an automobile engine before attempting to add oil to this car; this is a Porsche air/oil cooled motor for god's sake and requires a special technique!".
You mentioned you would like a warning on an oil filter...so I was wondering because they are not easily visible.

Oil in 993 is like syrup, my father in-law who helped me fill my 993 after oil change could not believe how thik the oil is. Took a while to pour it all in.
Old 09-10-2013, 11:58 AM
d ward
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NYC993
You mentioned you would like a warning on an oil filter...so I was wondering because they are not easily visible.

Oil in 993 is like syrup, my father in-law who helped me fill my 993 after oil change could not believe how thik the oil is. Took a while to pour it all in.
Gridlock61 said on the oil filler not oil filter
Old 09-10-2013, 12:42 PM
NYC993
Drifting

Originally Posted by d ward
Gridlock61 said on the oil filler not oil filter
Ha! Never mind my questions then.
Old 09-10-2013, 07:48 PM
vincer77
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by gridlock61
What did you do when this happened? Did you take some oil out once you realized it was overfilled, or did you just let it burn until it stopped? Did you clean the manifolds and heat exchangers? If not, did it eventually stop smoking and smelling of burned oil?

Thanks
Once I learned this trick, I simply stopped filling it beyond 1/2 way. I did not drain the oil as it consumed it in a couple hundred miles and stopped. It no longer burns or smells. I used to come home with the scent of my mistress - Eau de Mobil One - but know she is more discreet of our frolicking.

I have some seepage from the valve covers so it was not bothersome to me. I plan on resealing the engine come clutch time. But no oil spotting yet.

Quick Reply: Oil leaking & burning after adding 1/2 quart