993 Carrera Targa owners. I need help

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 12:54 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Q8drill
I removed one motor at the time to check the cable at the motor gear area I found out on the driver side motor the cables are stripped and lots of debris gone inside the tube which caused the cable to be stuck I think, I cleaned up some junk and installed the motor, I tried the manual way at the motor and pushing by hand to get the roof to full closed but no success. The glass roof is not fully closed, it's about 1/2" lower on the driver side rear but it's straight. I need to find a way to release the cable and fully close the roof for the time being. The car is in Kuwait which is about day and half of flying time from California, it's 1996 limited edition Targa with 53,000 ML, this car was parked since June 2004, now I'm trying to put some life in it, I did lots of work already but the sliding roof is something different. I picked up a new RS pulley to install later. I will send some pics tomorrow.
Thanks
Ahmad
The last 1/2" or so is difficult, because its when the roof gets pushed up.

So you pulled the red sleeves out of the motors and released the motors from the cables then?

If the roof is all the way forward, but just needs to raise, you can disconnect the axel plate and push the roof up by hand, and put a filler block in to hold the roof up.

Sounds like you need to replace the cables - talk to the boys at Sunset for a rebuilt kit, and prepare to get dirty...

Cheers,

Mike
Old 01-17-2012, 03:54 PM
Q8drill
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I released the motor from the cable and tried to turn the other motor manually while pushing the roof upward but it did not lift the roof, Do I need to remove the sun blind track to get to the Axel plate and release the cable, I already contacted Andraya at Sunset for a repair kit.
Cheers,
Ahmad
Old 01-17-2012, 05:20 PM
Q8drill
Advanced

I released the axle plate and lifted the roof, I don't know yet if it leaks, I still need to replace the cables. As I said I already requested the kit from Sunset.
Cheers,
Ahmad
Old 01-17-2012, 05:32 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Ok, the inner glass roof is not pressed against the seals really hard - and there is built in drain channel that should take any water to each side gutter.

It would be interesting if you want to document the cable replacement - just take pictures and add some notes, I can write it up. It would be good to add to pcarworkshop

Cheers,

Mike
Old 01-17-2012, 09:07 PM
mgianzero
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

You are most impressive, Mike. Always going beyond the call of duty in being a Rennlist member. Didn't you already sell your targa?
Old 01-17-2012, 09:30 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Yup, sold to a guy less than 1/2 mile from me. Apparently he enjoys it, but he commented the other day the idle was surging a bit, likely because he put it THROUGH THE CAR WASH!!!!!

My jaw dropped, and I told him that that car was nothing but hand washed and detailed for the last 10+ years. It's his now, but I will tell you the truth - the roof on that car wore me out. I loved the open feeling, and driving with it open, but the mechanics behind it - way too complicated and expensive.

So when guys ask for help, I jump right in - because, like you, I have been there. And you are no slouch either - you are always willing to jump in too...

THAT is what makes this place a great place to be!

Cheers,

Mike

PS He told me later the car wash was to wash the bottom of the car - not sure if I believe him, it will be interesting to see that car in about 5-10 years.
Old 01-17-2012, 09:59 PM
mgianzero
Rennlist Member

I've always been told to keep a water hose very far away from the engine bay. That means from the top as well through the grill.

My friend, who's a big time 993 mechanic out here told me horror stories of how a "bad car wash" can lead to all sorts of engine fault codes -- mostly electrical issues, but also distributor, wires, plugs, etc.

I'm glad you still have that urge to help those in need on this forum. I know that these 993 targa tops are a rare sort, but need the support of some of us who have gotten into it way more than most to simply keep these cars working properly. These cars can many times take a lot of our time to fix, but it certainly saves our sanity by helping each other out like we do.

Peace my friend. You have always been such a help on Rennlist. I nominate you to the Rennlist Hall of Fame!

Marc
Old 01-18-2012, 09:26 AM
Q8drill
Advanced

I washed the car today to seevif it leakes and it did from the roof, I took some pics but don't know how to load them, I'm new to Rennlist. Yes i will document this roof job to be handy for everybody.

Cheers,
Ahmad
Old 01-19-2012, 03:40 AM
Q8drill
Advanced

Do I need to remove the sun blind track to get to the glass track?

Ahmad
Old 01-19-2012, 12:59 PM
mgianzero
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Q8drill
Do I need to remove the sun blind track to get to the glass track?

Ahmad
What are you trying to do at this point, fix the top or just keep it closed without leaking? If you want to remove the glass top to replace the cables, then you need to remove the shade track but you can keep the shade coiled up. You really don't need to physically remove the shade.

Removing the shade is only needed if you are removing the entire glass subframe for the window deflector and glass tracks. I was able to replace the cables while leaving the shade in. It's tough but can be done.

We can walk you through changing the cables but it's a difficult procedure. Once you get your repair kit from Porsche you'll need a nice clean setting to organize all the pieces (many of them small) in your workshop. We'll walk you thru it when you're setup.
Old 01-19-2012, 01:33 PM
Q8drill
Advanced

I want to close the top for the time being till I get the repair kit, I'm covering the top with a plastic cover to prevent water leaking. The sun shade is already rolled up to the front.
I think that I have to release the cable from both sides of the roof to move the roof and get it closed, don't know where to release the cables.
Cheers
Ahmad
Old 01-19-2012, 01:55 PM
Q8drill
Advanced

I just talked to Andraya at sunset to check on the repair kit and surprised me that she is not sure about the right kit for my car, she refered me to you to find out the right kit. I asked her if the VIN# would help but she said no. What you guys think?

Ahmad
Old 01-19-2012, 06:28 PM
Q8drill
Advanced

Sunset has three different kits for Targa as they said, they sent me the illustration to choose the one I should get, I'm not sure which is the right one..
I wish that I could send you the attachment they sent me.
Ahmad
Old 01-19-2012, 06:31 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

you talk to the there guys as well, like Bob

I will PM you my email address. Hope Mr. Gianzero does too.. :-)

Cheers,

Mike
Old 01-19-2012, 09:56 PM
mgianzero
Rennlist Member

Ahmad,

The repair kit you need is called the "Roof Drive" kit, part #: 993-562-907-00. When I bought it in Sept 2009 it sold for $469.59 (list $616.83) from Sunset.

However, once you get in there, you may discover that you need additional parts that are either worn, bent or broken. I can give you those part numbers if you need them, but too long to list all of them here.

I sent you my email address, but it might be good to continue posting things here (or start a new post once you get your project started) so that others may use it as a reference.

Quick Reply: 993 Carrera Targa owners. I need help