Sponsored by:

center lock wheels

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2016, 02:39 PM
walkabout
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default center lock wheels

I am about to purchase a 991 with center lock wheels and I am debating if I want these or not. Actually I would prefer the 5 bolt wheels but the car I have found and like has center locks.

I have tried searching the forum for discussions on the Cl but have not found anything of help. (could be my searching abilities)

Could someone advise me about the drawbacks of the CL wheels? The car will be used on the track about four times a year, and only driven 6 months a year and only as a toy car not a DD.

Thanks

Don
Old 08-06-2016, 03:34 PM
mtgadbois
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Do a search in this forum (991) for "Center Lock Problems." Several good threads will appear.
Old 08-06-2016, 05:34 PM
bmedude
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 37 Posts

problems:

center locks are a pain in the ***. Watch a video on youtube on how to remove them.
Old 08-06-2016, 06:30 PM
TorqueChap
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Counterpoint: I opted for the CL wheels on my new GTS Targa. They are undeniably special and a pricey OEM option. Yes, they can be a PIA. Yes, 5 lug are infinitely easier. But I'm planning to keep my car forever and the CLs add to its charm. If I ever get tired of them, I'll do a 5-lug conversion for awhile but can always take comfort that the CoA will show the CLs as a factory option.

Do what's best for you and go with your guts.

Cheers
Old 08-06-2016, 06:33 PM
porsche42
Racer

I have them. They are easier to remove than 5 lug bolts I think and they look better. Problem is you need a special torque wrench to put them back on. at 450 ft/lbs of torque they need an a serious breaker bar as well. And you need to buy special grease. IMHO.
Old 08-06-2016, 06:49 PM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by porsche42
I have them. They are easier to remove than 5 lug bolts I think and they look better. Problem is you need a special torque wrench to put them back on. at 450 ft/lbs of torque they need an a serious breaker bar as well. And you need to buy special grease. IMHO.
plus u need a second person to depress the brakes to change out front wheels (or have a brake lock gadget)... to say they are a PITA is an understatement... not to mention most indie tire shops don't have the tools to deal with a change

they are also costly if you track extensively as the CL hubs will time out and need expensive replacement

if you are a road driver and take car to dealer pretty much all the time for even routine wheel and tire changes then they look cool and will be just fine
Old 08-06-2016, 07:02 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,360 Posts

Originally Posted by golfnutintib
plus u need a second person to depress the brakes to change out front wheels (or have a brake lock gadget)... to say they are a PITA is an understatement... not to mention most indie tire shops don't have the tools to deal with a change

they are also costly if you track extensively as the CL hubs will time out and need expensive replacement

if you are a road driver and take car to dealer pretty much all the time for even routine wheel and tire changes then they look cool and will be just fine
+1 although in all honesty any hub 5 or 5 tracked enough should be replaced, they are wear parts ... so I dont really count that as a 5 lug pro/CL con.
Old 08-06-2016, 07:30 PM
disden
Drifting

Received 1,224 Likes on 480 Posts

CLs look awesome. Besides, I'm never going to replace my own tires, let the pros do it. so who cares how hard they are to change.

<TTButtonContent: 0x19679aa0>
Old 08-06-2016, 07:57 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by disden
CLs look awesome. Besides, I'm never going to replace my own tires, let the pros do it. so who cares how hard they are to change.

My feelings also. I had my 997 GTS with CL wheels for almost four years and never an issue with them... I've had my 991 GTS for 1.5 years with no issues with CL's. Unless you track the car a bunch and need to change wheels frequently, don't worry about them. They look great and add a distinctive look to your Porsche. Even if you do change wheels often, once you change them a couple times, no big deal.
Old 08-06-2016, 08:45 PM
pap2828
Racer

Originally Posted by disden

ha! brilliant....
Old 08-06-2016, 08:51 PM
ace37
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 84 Posts

For your intended usage I'm not sure you would mind them. You will have to use Porsche for most or all tire and wheel operations, and if you get a flat you'll need to call for a tow. They are certainly unique, and they are usually nice looking wheel designs.

I've ordered a new 911 without CLs, so I won't buy the tools. I don't have the tools, and I needed to change my brake fluid, so I did it without removing the wheels - that made the job harder than it needed to be. If I had instead bought a new GT3 with CLs I would have just bought all of the tools and the CL annoyance level would have cut in half.
Old 08-06-2016, 09:39 PM
cajerseyboy
Banned

Received 182 Likes on 97 Posts

All depends on how involved you want to be with your car's wheel/tire/break/rotor maintenance. I have found a lot of joy in jacking my car up and swapping out my wheels. I'm also looking forward to changing the pads when the time is right.

The torque wrench is quite the manly garage tool and is quite substantial.

If you want to have a unique set up and don't mind the different approach that CLs offer I would say go for it! They look great and provide some separation from the masses.
Old 08-06-2016, 10:02 PM
77tony
Rennlist Member

Received 156 Likes on 118 Posts

Was happy to find a GTS without the CL's. T
Attached Images  
Old 08-06-2016, 10:45 PM
GiuseppeM
Three Wheelin'

Received 88 Likes on 56 Posts

They are absolutely gorgeous, people that work on their own wheels find them unpractical and they're right, but it all comes down to what you are planning to do.
Old 08-06-2016, 10:57 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 234 Likes on 126 Posts

More trouble and a bit of a learning curve if you DIY anything that needs the wheels removed. Plus a 3/4" torque wrench/breaker bar combo for several hundred bucks (500ish? Been awhile since I bought mine). But once you do a set you lose the fear, and it's not that big a deal. It does take two people, and the guy in the car really has to STAND on the pedal. But for most of us, it's not a frequent occurrence.

I get to enjoy the visuals of my (rarely tracked) GTS CLs every day; I only suffer the pain of removal once a year or so. Makes sense for me.

Quick Reply: center lock wheels