Sponsored by:

GTI daily driver?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2016, 01:24 AM
mdork
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Bacura
Um....I have a fender in my 2016 Tiguan R line and had a fender in my 2014 Jetta GLi. I have the Burmester in my 911/50. It is not even close. The difference is as wide as the cars .The Burmester blows it away...totally.I can not stress how much better the Burm is.
I have both as well (Burmester in my C4S), and you can or cannot stress all you want but the GTI sounds nearly as good - and I am a speaker nerd. Then again ears are personal. Agree to disagree.
Old 05-18-2016, 03:45 PM
racemor
Racer

Received 152 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by k997
Anyone driven or own the Golf R? Seems like it would be a fun DD to have.
Yep, got mine in March of 2015. DSG, DCC, with Nav, in Limestone Gray. I've swapped to VWR springs. Looks nice lower, but I don't like the ride as much as OEM. It's a great car, fast, roomy. A really good daily.
Attached Images  
Old 05-18-2016, 08:07 PM
Scorponok
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by CSK 911 C4S
I had the MK6 R and it was way worth it over the GTI especially if you like to drive hard. I'm a AWD junkie so I will only probably by AWD cars from now on unless I get suckered in by a classic. A few buddies of mine have MK6 GTI's and they are holding up very well.

If you do go looking for a MK6 R they do have some items to consider...... 1 recall that I know of for a timing belt tensioner and the car has the old Audi TTS engine that uses a cam follower that wears and breaks. Easy to check and replace when showing signs of wear before failure.
Awesome, thanks for the pointers CSK!

And thanks all for the feedback. Honestly, as a DD there are only two cars I'm drawn to: the GTI/R or the Macan. Totally different I know ...

Too bad the R doesn't have an alcantara option!
Old 05-18-2016, 08:11 PM
Dewinator
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

I'm still in shock how many people own a 911, the best daily driving car on the planet, yet choose to drive something else.
Old 05-18-2016, 08:15 PM
Scorponok
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Dewinator
I'm still in shock how many people own a 911, the best daily driving car on the planet, yet choose to drive something else.
I daily drove a 911 for quite some time. Hated it. Takes the 'special' factor away from it IMO.
Old 05-18-2016, 08:20 PM
Dewinator
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by k997
I daily drove a 911 for quite some time. Hated it. Takes the 'special' factor away from it IMO.
I guess since my commute is mostly clear freeways and I almost never hit traffic, it might be very different for people commuting in dense traffic into the city.
Old 05-19-2016, 06:18 PM
07CarreraS
Rennlist Member

Received 120 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Dewinator

I hit a little bit of traffic but I know if it's going to rain I won't drive it. Also, living in Florida I don't like the sun beating on my car all day since there is no covered parking at my office. I drive the GTI about 3 or 4 days out of the week and the rest is for the Macan or 911. Meanwhile, 2 out of 3 cars are in the shade all day and out of the elements
Old 05-19-2016, 08:33 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 796 Likes on 546 Posts

I just picked up a 2016 GTi Autobahn with Performance Package, Fender and sport chassis whatchamacallit. I needed it as a DD in another city that I spend time in. I am blown away at how much I like it. Especially for the price. Its a fun little ride.
Old 05-19-2016, 09:00 PM
Tenere12
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

What really surprised me is that I had purchased my GTI about a year before deciding to order a new 991.2 C4S. After test driving the 911 and then jumping in the GTI to drive home, the GTI still felt great. Quite a compliment for a car that costs about the same as the new Porsche will depreciate in the first 12 months.
Old 05-20-2016, 09:14 AM
07CarreraS
Rennlist Member

Received 120 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by rodsky
I just picked up a 2016 GTi Autobahn with Performance Package, Fender and sport chassis whatchamacallit. I needed it as a DD in another city that I spend time in. I am blown away at how much I like it. Especially for the price. Its a fun little ride.
I will always have a GTI. Build quality, utility, street light races from every 20 yr old in a Suburu or lowered Honda, high end interior that $50,000 cars envy. nuff said
Old 05-20-2016, 01:53 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 796 Likes on 546 Posts

Originally Posted by 07CarreraS
I will always have a GTI. Build quality, utility, street light races from every 20 yr old in a Suburu or lowered Honda, high end interior that $50,000 cars envy. nuff said
Exactly!

and thanks for being a veteran
Old 05-20-2016, 09:51 PM
Rezus
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

This thread made me go drive a GTI today, it was a great little car! I got the itch plus the offerings were very good, got 4K off without a sweat. I am tempted by the R though but those appear to go for MSRP, is it worth the extra 8K?
Old 05-20-2016, 10:13 PM
Tenere12
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Rezus
This thread made me go drive a GTI today, it was a great little car! I got the itch plus the offerings were very good, got 4K off without a sweat. I am tempted by the R though but those appear to go for MSRP, is it worth the extra 8K?
When I bought my 2015 GTI, I was very tempted to get the Golf R, but that was shortly after the R was first introduced and the dealers were getting markups over MSRP which was a non-starter for me. I would advise you to drive a Golf R and you will likely know by the end of the test drive. If you didn't test drive the 6-speed manual transmission, I would highly recommend it.
Old 05-20-2016, 10:59 PM
Rezus
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Tenere12
When I bought my 2015 GTI, I was very tempted to get the Golf R, but that was shortly after the R was first introduced and the dealers were getting markups over MSRP which was a non-starter for me. I would advise you to drive a Golf R and you will likely know by the end of the test drive. If you didn't test drive the 6-speed manual transmission, I would highly recommend it.
Still a few dealers are asking a mark up and most others want sticker. Unfortunately there is not one close to me for test drive or I would do that.
I just found the GTI plenty powerful just wonder if the resale on R is that much better and car plenty more fun it maybe worth the extra $$ up front. To be honest GTI is otherwise pretty good for what I would be using it for
Old 05-20-2016, 11:24 PM
Tenere12
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Rezus
Still a few dealers are asking a mark up and most others want sticker. Unfortunately there is not one close to me for test drive or I would do that.
I just found the GTI plenty powerful just wonder if the resale on R is that much better and car plenty more fun it maybe worth the extra $$ up front. To be honest GTI is otherwise pretty good for what I would be using it for
I agree. For me, the GTI is plenty powerful, solid, comfortable and simply fun to drive.

Quick Reply: GTI daily driver?