Sponsored by:

Retrofit SPASM to PASM?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2014, 08:31 PM
Skeptikal12
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Retrofit SPASM to PASM?

My current car has the PASM suspension. I wanted to lower the car slightly and get the stiffer roll bars to complete the look/feel.

Anyone know if it is possible to retrofit the springs and roll bars from the SPASM option to the PASM optioned car?

I understand the springs will work, but have heard that the roll bars have different mounting points/holes? Can anyone confirm?
Old 08-23-2014, 09:24 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,441 Likes on 2,248 Posts

Originally Posted by Skeptikal12
My current car has the PASM suspension. I wanted to lower the car slightly and get the stiffer roll bars to complete the look/feel.

Anyone know if it is possible to retrofit the springs and roll bars from the SPASM option to the PASM optioned car?

I understand the springs will work, but have heard that the roll bars have different mounting points/holes? Can anyone confirm?
Not only that but I believe that the system may use different PASM controllers (and perhaps shocks), or at least require re-programming (to deploy the rear spoiler further).

One way to tell would be to compare the part #'s in PET, that would tell you what parts differ.

http://www.porsche911.lt/files/991/E_991_KATALOG.pdf

problem is to decode this you need to know what the internal model variant code is for S-PASM ... why not go for an aftermarket lowering spring and swaybar kit, that would obviate any change in the PASM controllers & s/w
Old 08-23-2014, 10:02 PM
BlackBeauty
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 66 Posts

You can get the front lip spoiler which I'm sure at speed will help, without always being locked into a firmer suspension.

http://www.suncoastparts.com/product...S_Exterioraero
Old 08-24-2014, 11:55 AM
Skeptikal12
Instructor

The programming for the rear spoiler would be different (as the rear spoiler raises on a higher angle when SPASM is optioned) but haven't head anything about the dampeners and them being different or having different programming.

Reason as to why I haven't looked aftermarket really was because not knowing what would be as good or better than OEM. I saw that people were putting either the H&R springs (which lower a bit more than SPASM) or the KW Height Adjustable Springs. Just don't want to get something that won't perform as well.

As for anti-sway bars. Haven't seen or researched any that would mimic the SPASM setup.

If you have any ideas or recommendations, let me know.

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
Not only that but I believe that the system may use different PASM controllers (and perhaps shocks), or at least require re-programming (to deploy the rear spoiler further).

One way to tell would be to compare the part #'s in PET, that would tell you what parts differ.

http://www.porsche911.lt/files/991/E_991_KATALOG.pdf

problem is to decode this you need to know what the internal model variant code is for S-PASM ... why not go for an aftermarket lowering spring and swaybar kit, that would obviate any change in the PASM controllers & s/w
Old 08-24-2014, 01:13 PM
Mondrian
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I saw that people were putting either the H&R springs (which lower a bit more than SPASM) or the KW Height Adjustable Springs.
I have seen that on older models but not 991 - are you sure those mods were on a 991?
Old 08-24-2014, 01:33 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

The programming for the rear spoiler would be different (as the rear spoiler raises on a higher angle when SPASM is optioned) but haven't head anything about the dampeners and them being different or having different programming.

Reason as to why I haven't looked aftermarket really was because not knowing what would be as good or better than OEM. I saw that people were putting either the H&R springs (which lower a bit more than SPASM) or the KW Height Adjustable Springs. Just don't want to get something that won't perform as well.

As for anti-sway bars. Haven't seen or researched any that would mimic the SPASM setup.

If you have any ideas or recommendations, let me know.
I would definitely recommend doing the research to determine what components differ and what it will take to replace the system.

I'm a bit of a 991 newbie (Ive had GT3's for the last 13 years), so I cant really help here, one option I would suggest is look at the GMG lowering springs

http://www.gmgracing.com/store/2013/...g-springs.html
Old 08-26-2014, 11:25 AM
dogshyne
Instructor

Received 81 Likes on 50 Posts

the springs are different and the shocks have a different part number as well. I'm thinking if you change those two you are likely closer to what you are looking for. I wouldn't care about the rear spoiler sticking up further... what does that mean in terms of what you are using it for?

If you go with h&r springs it will significantly lower the car but the handling will be amazing... and that is on the regular pasm shocks.

Trending Topics

Old 08-26-2014, 12:19 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dogshyne
the springs are different and the shocks have a different part number as well. I'm thinking if you change those two you are likely closer to what you are looking for. I wouldn't care about the rear spoiler sticking up further... what does that mean in terms of what you are using it for?

If you go with h&r springs it will significantly lower the car but the handling will be amazing... and that is on the regular pasm shocks.
how about the PASM controller module(s)?
Old 08-26-2014, 02:27 PM
Skeptikal12
Instructor

Originally Posted by dogshyne

Can you confirm the part # for the shocks?

I know that the springs are different as well as the anti-sway bars. My local Porsche dealer who hasn't switched over the anti-sway bars thinks that they don't line up the same and are a different shape from the PASM ones.

Only problem that I have with the H&R springs is that they lower the car too much for my taste while I find SPASM height to be perfect.
Old 08-26-2014, 02:36 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Can you confirm the part # for the shocks?

I know that the springs are different as well as the anti-sway bars. My local Porsche dealer who hasn't switched over the anti-sway bars thinks that they don't line up the same and are a different shape from the PASM ones.

Only problem that I have with the H&R springs is that they lower the car too much for my taste while I find SPASM height to be perfect.
that would suggest that the droplinks also differ.

I would ask your dealers parts guys what the Ixxx internal variant # is for Sports PASM ... that will identify the parts variants in the PET catalog so you can figure out the parts list for the conversion...
Old 08-26-2014, 03:01 PM
Skeptikal12
Instructor

that would suggest that the droplinks also differ.

I would ask your dealers parts guys what the Ixxx internal variant # is for Sports PASM ... that will identify the parts variants in the PET catalog so you can figure out the parts list for the conversion...
This is what I got from them before:

"As I stated before, we have never tried to complete this sort of install before. For that reason I do not have any info on how to install the sway bars, shocks or springs from the SPASM on a PASM car.

Our parts diagrams do not give much detail, since the non-PASM, PASM and SPASM all use the same picture for the sway bars."
Old 08-26-2014, 03:12 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

This is what I got from them before:

"As I stated before, we have never tried to complete this sort of install before. For that reason I do not have any info on how to install the sway bars, shocks or springs from the SPASM on a PASM car.

Our parts diagrams do not give much detail, since the non-PASM, PASM and SPASM all use the same picture for the sway bars."
your dealer/parts guy is either an idiot or lazy, if you look at the PET pages for the suspension you can clearly see the various part # options based on year and internal 'I' variant... all that you need to know to decode is what is the variant code for SPASM.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
PET.pdf (252.2 KB, 418 views)
Old 08-26-2014, 04:43 PM
Skeptikal12
Instructor

your dealer/parts guy is either an idiot or lazy, if you look at the PET pages for the suspension you can clearly see the various part # options based on year and internal 'I' variant... all that you need to know to decode is what is the variant code for SPASM.
Apparently can't be done:

"But now for the sway bars, the bar for SPASM is a different part number then for the PASM in your vehicle. Also the thickness of the sway bar links are different. Meaning the links on your car will not accommodate the bigger hole for the SPASM sway bar. Also, you can’t use the sway bar links from a SPASM vehicle because there is lines and fluid that run through them, and if it isn’t a SPASM vehicle, the lines and such won’t be there."

From the parts adviser again.
Old 08-26-2014, 04:56 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

"But now for the sway bars, the bar for SPASM is a different part number then for the PASM in your vehicle. Also the thickness of the sway bar links are different. Meaning the links on your car will not accommodate the bigger hole for the SPASM sway bar. Also, you can’t use the sway bar links from a SPASM vehicle because there is lines and fluid that run through them, and if it isn’t a SPASM vehicle, the lines and such won’t be there."

my $0.02 I think this guy is confusing PDCC with SPASM, admittedly I have not seen the underside of a 991, but I can tell you I have "NEVER" seen a swaybar droplink with any lines attached to them, that only makes sense for PDCC, since on a "normal" swaybar/droplink arrangement the swaybar and droplink "go nowhere together" (that is the droplink connects the free "arm" of the bar to the chassis thus creating a lever, its a purely mechanical arrangement) so there is nothing at the other end of the swaybar that would need any fluids etc ...

its also worth noting that it was possible to order SPASM and SPASM+PDCC variants, I think the dealer/parts guy is confusing these...

bottom line, you need someone who knows what Ixxx variant code in the parts catalog maps to SPASM to figure out what you need to do the retrofit.
Old 08-26-2014, 05:02 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Something not quite right there. The only links with lines and fluid are PDCC. Cars without PDCC use simple drop links. They may well be different as between PASM and Sport, but not as the dealer says. Study this article, especially the photo's, to see what I mean. http://www.elephantracing.com/tool-b...n-overview.htm

Quick Reply: Retrofit SPASM to PASM?