Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I might drop my GT3 for a GT4...am I crazy?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2015, 02:06 PM
goin2drt
Race Car

Received 683 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Status, shmatus.....I don't give a RA about status and I've never been to a C&C. A more iconic and beautiful shape, a 9K rpm purpose built engine rather than a tweaked Carrera mill, +90 HP, a cutting edge gearbox, the classic 5 instrument binnacle, etc. etc. That, and the fact that I've now had some seat time at speed in both, is why I prefer the GT3.

This isn't a put down of the GT4, it's a fabulous car. It's just that the GT3 is so good that the 4 suffers slightly in comparison, IMHO. No Kool-Aid, Nick....too much sugar, never touch the stuff!
Couldn't agree more. Plenty of kool aid drinking GT4 homies on this forum. i was told in another thread that the GT4 is right below the GT3 and far better than any 911 model, yikes. I don't dare say whats on my mind. I think those are the same peoplemthinking the GT4 is going hold it's value like the GT3. I can't wait for a year to go by so we can post all the 4's for sale at well below what folks paid for them.

Op you are nuts for going from a 3 to a 4. In my opinion of course.
Old 08-12-2015, 02:13 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,721 Likes on 2,691 Posts

Originally Posted by goin2drt
I think those are the same peoplemthinking the GT4 is going hold it's value like the GT3. I can't wait for a year to go by so we can post all the 4's for sale at well below what folks paid for them.
I think the GT4 has a pretty good chance to hold its value (or a good portion thereof) because the MSRP is quite reasonable. The GT3 costs over 50% more. So GT3 will need to retain a much higher percentage in order to lose fewer dollars than GT4.

Also, seems a little mean spirited to hope that GT4 folks are about to lose their shirts, no? I would never suggest that a 991 Turbo Cab owner might suffer such a fate...
Old 08-12-2015, 02:22 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts
Default I might drop my GT3 for a GT4...am I crazy?

I believe nobody is arguing that the 911 GT3 is placed above the GT4 in the Porsche lineup. Porsche says so,the price says so and the performance envelope says so. Whether it will be a superior driving experience in all environments remains to be determined and it will vary from one owner to the other.

In the meantime I will continue to be amused by the status symbol type of posts. You do not have to call them out,they will gladly reveal themselves.
Old 08-12-2015, 02:35 PM
goin2drt
Race Car

Received 683 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
Also, seems a little mean spirited to hope that GT4 folks are about to lose their shirts, no? I would never suggest that a 991 Turbo Cab owner might suffer such a fate...
Ha ha. Good point but we already suffer that fate and am ok with it. Your right. I hope every P model held it's value. The mean spiritedness more pointed to the non fans or owners that truly love the automobile and are hoping for a pure investment. I just think they are wrong and it won't hold.
Old 08-12-2015, 03:17 PM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
I believe nobody is arguing that the 911 GT3 is placed above the GT4 in the Porsche lineup. Porsche says so,the price says so and the performance envelope says so. Whether it will be a superior driving experience in all environments remains to be determined and it will vary from one owner to the other.

In the meantime I will continue to be amused by the status symbol type of posts. You do not have to call them out,they will gladly reveal themselves.
I didn't even know the GT3 was a status symbol - I've been doing it wrong all along apparently!
Old 08-12-2015, 05:35 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,781 Likes on 4,774 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
No Kool-Aid, Nick....too much sugar, never touch the stuff!
There's sugar-free Kool-Aid.

Love the stuff. Touch it all the time. Even drink it sometimes too.

Old 08-12-2015, 05:57 PM
FORENN
Banned

Received 666 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by goin2drt
Couldn't agree more. Plenty of kool aid drinking GT4 homies on this forum. i was told in another thread that the GT4 is right below the GT3 and far better than any 911 model, yikes. I don't dare say whats on my mind. I think those are the same peoplemthinking the GT4 is going hold it's value like the GT3. I can't wait for a year to go by so we can post all the 4's for sale at well below what folks paid for them.

Op you are nuts for going from a 3 to a 4. In my opinion of course.
Yeah, I just hate it when the Rennlist homies be trippin'. But it sounds like they'll get what's coming to them soon enough.

Speaking of going to dirt, how about this discussion?
Old 08-12-2015, 05:59 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts
Default I might drop my GT3 for a GT4...am I crazy?

Originally Posted by sportscentury
Yeah, I just hate it when the Rennlist homies be trippin'.
LOL
Old 08-12-2015, 06:42 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 988 Likes on 511 Posts

You really need to drive the GT4 before you pass judgement. It's a lot of fun to drive and has a fantastic manual. I came close to buying one but it came in without buckets which I wanted.

I guess I'm going to have to buy a glass of Kool-Aid, sugar free please, from Nick.
Old 08-12-2015, 08:25 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 720 Posts

I think we are being a little unrealistic comparing the GT4 to the GT3. The GT4 is s great car. It looks pretty, and the part, coupled with a Manual trans and the deal($$) of the century. But, it is not made to compete with the GT3. The GT3 is a different market, Customer target, and performance level. Make no mistake; the GT4 is no replacement to the GT3. But that does not cast anything negative against it. I would love to have it, in addition to, my GT3 but have room only for (1) and I would be insane to give up the engine/trans of the century. Now, a GT4 RS would tempt me. But- Porsche is listening so I expect a hard core light weight Manual coming soon-it will be made.

Also- yes- there are more GT4 allocations that will come- Porsche has figured this out and will pump these cars out- they will laugh all the way to the bank and we will get a great car. To think about it; the GT4 has a market all to itself- what are you going to compare it to???
Old 08-12-2015, 08:30 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,721 Likes on 2,691 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
I think we are being a little unrealistic comparing the GT4 to the GT3. The GT4 is s great car. It looks pretty, and the part, coupled with a Manual trans and the deal($$) of the century. But, it is not made to compete with the GT3. The GT3 is a different market, Customer target, and performance level. Make no mistake; the GT4 is no replacement to the GT3.
I get your point, but it's not all that different. GT4 has similar performance to GT3's from just a few years ago (997 GT3). Don't think that customer has changed so much and not all of them in that group have to have latest/greatest/fastest. There is a fair amount of overlap, imo. For 911 fans and diehards, some may not be persuaded away from rear engined feel - but more about qualitative differences than outright performance, imo.
Old 08-12-2015, 11:44 PM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

911 fanboys will put down the cayman - always - its sad, stupid, and it is their loss

the cayman is a brilliant car...special balance and packaging

it will probably never happen, but if you drop a 991 gt3 3.8 / pdk-s into a gt4 platform, even without rear steer, i am confident the gt3 would be left in the dust on a circuit with equal skill drivers...
Old 08-13-2015, 12:31 AM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by golfnutintib
911 fanboys will put down the cayman - always - its sad, stupid, and it is their loss the cayman is a brilliant car...special balance and packaging it will probably never happen, but if you drop a 991 gt3 3.8 / pdk-s into a gt4 platform, even without rear steer, i am confident the gt3 would be left in the dust on a circuit with equal skill drivers...
So which is worse, fanboys or bench racers...LOL.
Old 08-13-2015, 01:01 AM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 940 Likes on 544 Posts

It's a rare time. You can sample Weissach's finest, flip it for a minor loss or even a profit if you are lucky, and then try another. I'm going to sample for a few years and see what I like best. It's definitely not the 991GT3, it might not be the GT4, but both are worth experiencing.
Old 08-13-2015, 01:39 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by golfnutintib
911 fanboys will put down the cayman - always - its sad, stupid, and it is their loss

the cayman is a brilliant car...special balance and packaging

it will probably never happen, but if you drop a 991 gt3 3.8 / pdk-s into a gt4 platform, even without rear steer, i am confident the gt3 would be left in the dust on a circuit with equal skill drivers...
There are objective reasons why one could prefer the GT3 that have nothing to do with being a fanboy. Anyway, just because I prefer one car, doesn't mean I'm putting down another. I've driven both...would rather own a GT3. Simple.

Quick Reply: I might drop my GT3 for a GT4...am I crazy?