Sponsored by:

RS AC and Radio delete

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2015, 11:31 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,592 Likes on 737 Posts

:-)

Drove 2 hours on Nittos through downpours in 90F to Sebring and I loved my brand new AC today... It may cost me a second per lap tomorrow but comfy is worth it.

All lights wok, wipers work. It's a regular car without radio.

They fixed the cigarette lighter so the V1 worked as well, and I can charge my I phone to yet again try Harry's lap timer. V1 speeds up the to and from.

Headers tightened up the car sounds pretty awesome..

New matching soft OMP halo seats are comfy, new oem interior, lots of room with the new custom cage. Can stretch my legs. Race legal still. 3 point belts going in next week...

I may have solved the riddle. TBD tomorrow.
Old 04-25-2015, 01:42 PM
SDGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 28 Posts

If your goal is to save weight, there are better ways than deleting a few small options. If your goal is to make your car unique ask yourself WHY/ For more resale? This likely won't accomplish that. If you don't think you will use them then DON'T but the one time you would like to you can. There is also the big hole in the dash that will be an excellent place to store dust, dirt and a pack of smokes but otherwise useless. It sound like you want to do it because YOU CAN in which case there is no talking you of the ledge. Therefore, you must do it as it is your car to do as you please! It is unlikely that a vote of the Rennlisters will support your cause. Since you appear to be a contrarian, have at it, and don't ask for support from the masses who will likely only buy your car if they don't have any other choice.
Old 04-25-2015, 02:35 PM
khooni
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by IvanBurns
If it's looks that you care about, OK. But if it's weight, you don't gain much by deleting the radio. Most of the weight is in the speakers.

I've heard that the radio (which includes the PCM/Nav screen) only weighs 6 lbs. Have also heard that the Sound Plus package, which is required for the PCM/Nav option, includes 9 speakers, which brings the weight up to 20 lbs.

If anyone can confirm or correct these weight figures, that would be great.

6 lbs is radio + standard 4 speaker arrangement. with sound plus, which includes extra speakers, I think the weight should still be less than 20 lbs but i don't have the actual weight either.
Old 04-25-2015, 08:16 PM
AciDShOrT
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just to clarify again, I am not asking the opinion on if I should do it. I was asking if anyone else is going to do it.
Old 04-25-2015, 11:42 PM
IvanBurns
Instructor

Originally Posted by SDGT3
If your goal is to save weight, there are better ways than deleting a few small options.
If radio delete (incl. sound plus's 9 speakers) is 20 lbs. and AC delete is 35-40 lbs., and the lightweight battery saves 36 lbs., that's 91-96 lbs. Please explain what the "better ways" are, and the cost of these ways. I'm all ears.
Old 04-26-2015, 10:57 AM
SDGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 28 Posts

Lightweight wheels and aftermarket takes care of half. The remainder is the difference between the fuel in the extended range tank and the regular tank. Splitting hairs on a 3000lb car. So if that is important to you then do it. Sounds more like a racing strategy which begs the question....Cup Car???? As I said, your car... do what makes you happy! If you are looking to be the only one to di it, I will bet someone else will also but likely you will be the minority..
Old 04-26-2015, 12:51 PM
IvanBurns
Instructor

Originally Posted by SDGT3
Lightweight wheels and aftermarket takes care of half. The remainder is the difference between the fuel in the extended range tank and the regular tank. Splitting hairs on a 3000lb car. So if that is important to you then do it. Sounds more like a racing strategy which begs the question....Cup Car???? As I said, your car... do what makes you happy! If you are looking to be the only one to di it, I will bet someone else will also but likely you will be the minority..
I have a set of Forgeline wheels that are 12 lbs. total weight less them the OEM's. Couldn't find anything much better. You are right about fuel. 24 gallons at 6 lbs. per gallon is 144 lbs. When I really care about it, I start a run with about 5 gallons in the tank.

Regarding the minority, I took my car to the dealer last week to have the AC removed. This is one of the largest Porsche dealers in New England. I asked the service manager how many customers had asked them to remove an AC. The manager smiled, raised a single finger, and said "One. One out of one hundred thousand!" I said, "Cool!".
Old 04-26-2015, 05:20 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,815 Likes on 2,174 Posts

I get that you want to reduce the weight of the car, but at the end of the day it's still a street car. Are you going to strip it too (take the carpet out, insulation, passenger seat, etc)? Sounds like you should be looking at a cup car.
Old 04-26-2015, 05:34 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So why delete AC and radio ? Weight savings or just to be a cool racer wannabe ? In either case, deletion of those items will provide zero speed benefit on the street and track DE's....we are not talking racing here with these street cars...
Old 04-26-2015, 06:24 PM
mcsmcs1
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 32 Posts

Actually I would do what ScottKelly911 suggested in post #17 of this thread - order the car with Radio and AC (no cost options) and then have the dealer remove them. Then they can be reinstalled if circumstances or owners change
+1000
Old 04-27-2015, 09:22 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,760 Likes on 923 Posts

I have a set of Forgeline wheels that are 12 lbs. total weight less them the OEM's. Couldn't find anything much better. You are right about fuel. 24 gallons at 6 lbs. per gallon is 144 lbs. When I really care about it, I start a run with about 5 gallons in the tank.

Regarding the minority, I took my car to the dealer last week to have the AC removed. This is one of the largest Porsche dealers in New England. I asked the service manager how many customers had asked them to remove an AC. The manager smiled, raised a single finger, and said "One. One out of one hundred thousand!" I said, "Cool!".
Harder to drop a lot of weight in the wheel department with the upgraded wheels on the 991 GT3 but 12lbs is 12lbs.

Curious about what they can and can't remove easily in terms of all the A/C hardware and plumbing. Like the choice regardless. Nothing more fun than striping a car of its piggly wiggly stuff.....
Old 07-16-2015, 01:19 AM
IvanBurns
Instructor

Originally Posted by Nizer
Curious about what they can and can't remove easily in terms of all the A/C hardware and plumbing. Like the choice regardless. Nothing more fun than striping a car of its piggly wiggly stuff.....
It has taken a while for various reasons, but I finally got around to having the AC system removed from my GT3. I promised to report the results here.

Bottom line, the total weight savings was 37 lbs., and the total cost was 12 hrs. of labor. This compares favorably to the 36 lbs. that I saved by buying a Braille battery for $1,600.

Surprising to me, the compressor only weighed 12 lbs. The two condensers weighed 2.5 lbs. each. The other 20 lbs. of weight savings came from the large collection of lines, fasteners, and nuts and bolts. I expected the compressor to comprise most of the weight.

There's no need to remind me that I have destroyed the resale value of the car. I don't care a blinky-blink about resale value. I care about weight. Also, I still have all of the system parts for a reinstall if circumstances change.
Old 07-16-2015, 03:30 AM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 110 Likes on 56 Posts
Default RS AC and Radio delete

It has taken a while for various reasons, but I finally got around to having the AC system removed from my GT3. I promised to report the results here.

Bottom line, the total weight savings was 37 lbs., and the total cost was 12 hrs. of labor. This compares favorably to the 36 lbs. that I saved by buying a Braille battery for $1,600.

Surprising to me, the compressor only weighed 12 lbs. The two condensers weighed 2.5 lbs. each. The other 20 lbs. of weight savings came from the large collection of lines, fasteners, and nuts and bolts. I expected the compressor to comprise most of the weight.

There's no need to remind me that I have destroyed the resale value of the car. I don't care a blinky-blink about resale value. I care about weight. Also, I still have all of the system parts for a reinstall if circumstances change.
Great that you doing it your way, I love stripped out RS. Call me wannabe racer. That's fine. I just think Porsche makes so many great cars suitable for street and track, so the RS should be barely street legal. And not comfortable. If you want comfortable. Buy GT3!
Please post pics so we can see what it looks like.

Quick Reply: RS AC and Radio delete