Sponsored by:

New C7 Z06

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2014, 08:55 PM
zirrah
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
....and there's one reason why it's cheaper....just sayin'......
Yeah, and we bend over for the p-car emblem... Porsche has the highest mark up of any brand.

Originally Posted by Evan@Fabspeed
Easy to spot a fellow M3 owner by the oil he buys
Haha, true that. I still have a case at home leftover from my E46 M.
Old 01-07-2014, 08:56 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Quikag
Love it!

One of the classic, go-to excuses for why a P-car is better, even though it's way slower on the track. Too bad it's not grounded in reality.
What's your excuses when you are sitting on the sideline overheating when it's hot out? You even posted that regarding your own car. The valve guide issues and rocker arm and oiling issues the lead to melting LS(insert number here) are well documented.

Slap 650 hp on anything and go fast. But nothing to beat your chest about as you are so apt to doing.

A 450 hp GT3 is 3 seconds slower than your mighty ZR1 in the owners first time out in it on R comps. TTS with still much less hp is only a little over 2 seconds slower on regular street tires. I think we can presume what would happen were said TTS on similar rubber running time trials?

It's not technological feat to slap a ton of HP and sticky tires on something and go fast.
Old 01-07-2014, 08:56 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,188 Likes on 631 Posts

In my college car buying days I used to always consult the consumer reports guide on reliability of cars, etc which was the most accurate source out there, but only for the common cars.

Unfortunately there's not that much data on the reliability of a GT3/RS vs a Z51/Z06 vette as those cars are quite rare.
Old 01-07-2014, 08:59 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,188 Likes on 631 Posts

Originally Posted by zirrah
Yeah, and we bend over for the p-car emblem... Porsche has the highest mark up of any brand.
I'm sure it's marked up big-time by Porsche. But I would have to think that Ferrari has them beat. No way does it cost Ferrari more than $100,000 to make a $300,000 458 spyder.
Old 01-07-2014, 09:10 PM
Quikag
Rennlist Member

Received 241 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by wanna911
What's your excuses when you are sitting on the sideline overheating when it's hot out? You even posted that regarding your own car. The valve guide issues and rocker arm and oiling issues the lead to melting LS(insert number here) are well documented.
Huh? There are issues, but statistically, it's still a small number % wise compared to the total population. Also, if the engine is stock and under warranty, it's replaced without issue. LS9 doesn't have any of the above issues.

On the overheating comment, I could short shift and stay ahead of almost any P-car and not have heat issues.

Slap 650 hp on anything and go fast. But nothing to beat your chest about as you are so apt to doing.

A 450 hp GT3 is 3 seconds slower than your mighty ZR1 in the owners first time out in it on R comps. TTS with still much less hp is only a little over 2 seconds slower on regular street tires. I think we can presume what would happen were said TTS on similar rubber running time trials?

It's not technological feat to slap a ton of HP and sticky tires on something and go fast.
Sorry the truth hurts. My ZR1 was over $30-50k+ cheaper too. What's your point? Also, if you think I only have a 1:19 in my ZR1 at MSR 1.7 CW, you're sorely mistaken. Also, 3 seconds is A LOT on a short 1.7 track as it sits.

Also, it's a 475hp GT3 and yes, the guy will get quicker and I hope to meet him. He seems like a good guy and again, I love Porsche, otherwise I wouldn't be on this car site. I am still going to check out the GT3 and GT3 RS before buying my next dual track/weekend fun car to replace my C6. Porsche GT cars and Vette are my two favorite cars by far.

To imply a 991 GT3 isn't a very fast competent car and even a competitor to the ZR1 doesn't make any sense. The GT3 has some very fancy technology that helps to overcome a big of the sledgehammer approach of the Vette with big hp and big tires.
Old 01-07-2014, 09:20 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Huh? There are issues, but statistically, it's still a small number % wise compared to the total population. Also, if the engine is stock and under warranty, it's replaced without issue. LS9 doesn't have any of the above issues.

On the overheating comment, I could short shift and stay ahead of almost any P-car and not have heat issues.

Sorry the truth hurts. My ZR1 was over $30-50k+ cheaper too. What's your point? Also, if you think I only have a 1:19 in my ZR1 at MSR 1.7 CW, you're sorely mistaken. Also, 3 seconds is A LOT on a short 1.7 track as it sits.

Also, it's a 475hp GT3 and yes, the guy will get quicker and I hope to meet him. He seems like a good guy and again, I love Porsche, otherwise I wouldn't be on this car site. I am still going to check out the GT3 and GT3 RS before buying my next dual track/weekend fun car to replace my C6. Porsche GT cars and Vette are my two favorite cars by far.

To imply a 991 GT3 isn't a very fast competent car and even a competitor to the ZR1 doesn't make any sense. The GT3 has some very fancy technology that helps to overcome a big of the sledgehammer approach of the Vette with big hp and big tires.

You could short shift and stay ahead of any P-car with 25%+ less hp. Small percentage my behind, watching Corvette's go boom is a regular
occasion in most of the country. 3 seconds is not a lot on a handling circuit with a lot of time spent turning and braking.

It's all talk until you actually run faster.

You spend all of your time here bragging about your ZR1 and posting the same video over and over again, excuse us if we haven't seen your enthusiasm for the GT3.

Nonsense, the GT3 isn't going to overcome 25% hp and a FAR bigger discrepancy in torque (about half) with a few gadgets. Again I say, 3 seconds is not a lot from R-comps to slicks. You already spend a lot of time coasting, and the GT3 still can't keep up in a straight line.
Old 01-07-2014, 09:37 PM
Quikag
Rennlist Member

You could short shift and stay ahead of any P-car with 25%+ less hp. Small percentage my behind, watching Corvette's go boom is a regular
occasion in most of the country. 3 seconds is not a lot on a handling circuit with a lot of time spent turning and braking.

It's all talk until you actually run faster.

You spend all of your time here bragging about your ZR1 and posting the same video over and over again, excuse us if we haven't seen your enthusiasm for the GT3.

Nonsense, the GT3 isn't going to overcome 25% hp and a FAR bigger discrepancy in torque (about half) with a few gadgets. Again I say, 3 seconds is not a lot from R-comps to slicks. You already spend a lot of time coasting, and the GT3 still can't keep up in a straight line.
Okay, you can verify at the last NASA time trial at Eagles Canyon, but I picked up almost 5 seconds on that course just by switching from the Conti's to the Michelins. No joke. So, on a track about 60% as long, it would be AT LEAST 2-3 seconds just from a tire switchover. The Michelin's grip is HUGE compared to the Conti.

Honestly, look at the telemetry on my grip levels, they're not much more than nice Hoosier R-comp, if any.

Either way, my lap time is faster than any non-race P-car has ever run at MSR, so I guess I really don't have to worry about getting much faster on that front. Vette guys are my only competition in this region. Hope you can come down here and we can shoot the bull over a few beers after a track day.
Old 01-07-2014, 09:38 PM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Looks like a great car. I may need to check one out.
Old 01-07-2014, 09:44 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Okay, you can verify at the last NASA time trial at Eagles Canyon, but I picked up almost 5 seconds on that course just by switching from the Conti's to the Michelins. No joke. So, on a track about 60% as long, it would be AT LEAST 2-3 seconds just from a tire switchover. The Michelin's grip is HUGE compared to the Conti.

Honestly, look at the telemetry on my grip levels, they're not much more than nice Hoosier R-comp, if any.

Either way, my lap time is faster than any non-race P-car has ever run at MSR, so I guess I really don't have to worry about getting much faster on that front. Vette guys are my only competition in this region. Hope you can come down here and we can shoot the bull over a few beers after a track day.
Sounds like you are saying the same thing I am, 2-3 seconds for stickier tires. MPSC to Conti's included. Give the guy more time to learn the limits of his car, add slicks and tweak the alignment, and it could get pretty close.

Congratulations, you won DE with 640 hp and slicks......

I don't see what that point isn't sticking with you at some point.
Old 01-07-2014, 09:52 PM
ranger22
Rennlist Member

Received 344 Likes on 192 Posts

Eagles canyon is perfect for point and shoot cars. I bet your times came with cooler weather too. Kudos.

You can bring up price, but all I mentioned was the history of vettes having issues breaking down on the track. It's ok though, we all know you'd love to have a GT3, but have leaned towards bargain shopping instead.
Old 01-07-2014, 09:55 PM
Quikag
Rennlist Member

Sounds like you are saying the same thing I am, 2-3 seconds for stickier tires. MPSC to Conti's included. Give the guy more time to learn the limits of his car, add slicks and tweak the alignment, and it could get pretty close.

Congratulations, you won DE with 640 hp and slicks......

I don't see what that point isn't sticking with you at some point.
Okay, so what you're really try to say is having a stock ZR1 with seats, harnesses, brake fluid, bushings, and slicks that can run faster than almost any other street car on the planet is not fair? Okay, duly noted. Sorry, I didn't know we all needed to have the same size stick to discuss lap times.

What mods are on your RWD converted, gutted, hollow doors, race aero 996 Turbo again? List them out and I'll tell you which mods aren't fair.
Old 01-07-2014, 09:58 PM
Quikag
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ranger22
Eagles canyon is perfect for point and shoot cars. I bet your times came with cooler weather too. Kudos.

You can bring up price, but all I mentioned was the history of vettes having issues breaking down on the track. It's ok though, we all know you'd love to have a GT3, but have leaned towards bargain shopping instead.
What about MSR? Is that point and shoot too? I've had 3 Vettes and the only break down I've had in a decade of track driving in my near stock Vettes was a clutch master cylinder going out and pedal sticking to the floor. It was a one hour warranty repair. I guess I've been lucky.

I would rather have a GT3, but I'm only a poor Vette guy and can't afford a fancy P-car. Maybe in the future....
Old 01-07-2014, 10:54 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,150 Likes on 568 Posts

I'm not a Porsche guy (Cayenne TT does not really count) - my performance cars so far were Renault, old Supra and two BMWs. So I'm not a fanboy or brand-loyal at all, and I value bang for the buck. So I carefully watched news and rumors on C7 corvette and seriously considered one. But at that time I noticed that: 1) almost none of my track buddies who own Z06 (close to a dozen) or Z01 (one) would get another one or are considering C7; 2) a guy I track often with, with a very prepped Z06, missed out on at least 25% of his track time because of some issues; 3) I have never been passed by a regular corvette in the last two years and only ~1/3 of Z06 are faster than my much slower on paper M3 (practically stock!). I talked to Corvette drivers, and most complain that the car does not give them confidence to drive close to the limit - it may be a fast car in hands of a pro capable of driving a track blindfolded, but in real life it's not that fast; 4) in my eyes, the C7 looks like a hyper-exaggerated toy car from a Playstation game - a go-kart is more stylish than that.

So I said F the vette and put the deposit on a GT3.

I am open to reconsidering the Vette, and I'm excited by the numbers on paper, but everything I've seen so far is telling me to discount the paper specs by a huge margin. But kudos to GM for stepping up the game - it's a step forward for sure, and it will probably push others to innovate more or at least push the prices down a bit.
Old 01-07-2014, 11:25 PM
991 3Turbo
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Max----I am a Vette guy from way back, and have no idea what a Z01 is. Care to enlighten us? Also you are not a 'Porsche Guy" yet you say you have never been passed by a REGULAR corvette in two years. I in short cannot follow a word you are saying. You also make many insinuations without apparently anything real to back it up. Hearsay means nothing. In any form, a practically stock 3700 plus pound M3 with 414 HP is never going to beat a 3400 pound C6 properly equipped with 436 HP and much more torque. You must be up against very green drivers. And I love M3's. M3's are also well known for dropping off quite severely with extended laps due to their weight and brake glazing. My 2c. Not believing it.
Old 01-07-2014, 11:59 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

The Z06 has always been a performance bargin in the super performance car world.

Shouldnt take too much to make this new vette into a weekend warrior track car. A potent one a that.
Seats, Aero, sticky tires, headers, pulley, tune etc.

Disappointing they went supercharged. But I guess it is cheaper then engineering a small block to make the same power with warranty.

I would be pretty bummed if I had a ZR1…..

Quick Reply: New C7 Z06