Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front oil cooler gasket material between cooler and fan?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2014, 04:23 PM
pi5tolpete
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Front oil cooler gasket material between cooler and fan?

I have removed the front bumper to access the oil cooler to investigate a leak. The amount of sand and oil mix could pave my driveway. I pulled the fan to get to the fins on the cooler to give them a good cleaning. In doing so, I have broken the gunk seal between the cooler frame and the fan frame. It appears to be similar to weatherstripping. I searched the forums but cannot find any info, nor can I see it listed on the PET.
For those who have removed/replaced their oil cooler or fan, what have you used as the strip gasket??
Attached Images  

Last edited by pi5tolpete; 10-20-2014 at 06:47 PM. Reason: just plain ol' bad grammar
Old 10-20-2014, 10:28 PM
Blu RS
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default I know your consternation . . . .

I just recently went thru this whole process of removing the oil cooler and fan in order to replace a leaking oil supply hose. It made an incredible mess and forced the removal of the radiator fan assembly just to get everything clean again. And since one hose had gone bad I had my dealer replace all the associated hoses. $5K later the process was complete. Ouch!!! Oh yeah!
Initially however, I thought perhaps I could do most of the job myself and went looking for the foamy seal material between the cooler and fan. The closest I could find was "Sponge Rubber Weatherstrip" for door & windows sourced at a very well equipped local hardware store. The brand was "md" and the size was 9.5mm X 12.7mm X 3mm. I knew that I might need to do some final trimming once installed but figured the size and material was close enough to work.
Subsequently, I realized the size of the hose replacement job was over my head so I humbly shuffled the car off to my Porsche dealer and asked them to pay particular attention to getting the correct seal material from Porsche since I'd seen the part number on PET. They later told me the part/material was NLA from Porsche (don't know whether that is really true or not) but they had some similar material from a old job on a 928 so they used that and didn't charge me anything. I took a close look at what they installed and believe that the sponge rubber weatherstrip I mentioned earlier was essentially what the dealer ended up using.
In truth, the material is not exactly the same as the original (the original is more foamy and more "airy") but when fully compressed the operating effect should be identical as I believe the foam is as much a vibration dampener as it is a air sealant. So bottom line is that I would recommend you look into the product I mentioned at the beginning as a likely solution to your need for sealing foam.
Good luck!
Old 10-21-2014, 09:20 AM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 176 Posts

I replaced my oil cooler recently, I used double sided foam tape from my local hardware store. It appeared to be a good match. Unless you are doing a concours restoration, I think anything that seals the two together should be fine.
Old 10-21-2014, 11:46 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,170 Posts

Sorry to say but changing out these parts is quite easy. Although having a lift helps. Not sure whey Blue Rs had to pay so much to replace his oil lines. They are only around $500 for both shipped in the US. It would be a 4 hour job draining the oil is the biggest issue.

I am assuming you are talking about this material on the four sides where the fan and cooler connect? (circled in red)

Honestly the need for the foam is overrated. The dirt will get in no matter what you do having it sealed offers little additional cooling. If it is that critical to have you could just use some removable silicone sealant to seal the fan to the cooler but it won't make a noticeable difference. Cleaning the cooler itself occasionally helps with air flow better.
Attached Images  
Old 10-21-2014, 11:52 AM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

If you're getting super critical about seals in the oil cooler area, then the bumper sealing wedges are even more important for effective oil cooler operation.

https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...ml#post9959309
Old 10-22-2014, 09:39 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,170 Posts

Originally Posted by Vandit
If you're getting super critical about seals in the oil cooler area, then the bumper sealing wedges are even more important for effective oil cooler operation.

https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...ml#post9959309
That was nicely done. I was looking for LED lights so I thank you twice.

Quick Reply: Front oil cooler gasket material between cooler and fan?