Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another 64

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2014, 06:29 AM
racoguy
Racer

Received 148 Likes on 81 Posts

Found a supplier for the lips / barrels at a reasonable price who can supply pretty much what ever I want in 1/2" increments.
Now have to work out exact offsets if this is the way I'm going or try and locate used ones which could be tricky but either way I can press on and machine the other 3 centers.
Old 05-03-2014, 06:54 PM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

Any update on these wheels?
Old 05-03-2014, 10:47 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 568 Likes on 340 Posts

Originally Posted by Vandit
I think he researched those wheels and they ended up not being made from OEM D90s, just manufactured to look like D90s by some company that is no longer in business.
Correct. I completed a 4,000km road and track trip with those wheels. They held up well. Quite a bit heavier than my Fuchs, so wouldn't pay up for them but not a bad wheel.
Old 06-22-2014, 06:09 AM
racoguy
Racer

Originally Posted by Vandit
Any update on these wheels?
Sorry for the late reply Vandit been busy just driving the car and haven't visited the site for a while, the one wheel was just a proof of concept and will soon order the lips/barrels I need to make the set.
I have sooo many plans for the car and just trying to decide what is most important while keeping the car on the road for now.
Old 03-27-2015, 06:30 AM
racoguy
Racer

Been steadily collecting parts over the last little while and of course living at the bottom of the world you have to wait for everything to turn up.

Exhaust, OBX headers and GT3.2 muffler are here, just waiting on electric exhaust cut outs and rpm switch.
Wheels, sourced some 17" BBS inner rims so that I can look at what size outers I'll require but already hit a snag with the donor set of 16" Fuchs, one wheel in the set is not the same thickness in the rim even though the part number is identical.............

This wheel will not be suitable to machine, maybe someone here can help?
I need one 16x6 Fuchs rim, condition not important.
Can be cracked, kerbed anything as long as the center is ok.

Please let me know what you have.
Will make a start next month and get a few things sorted while still keeping the car on the road for now.
Old 03-27-2015, 08:59 AM
BHCfarkas
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by racoguy
Been steadily collecting parts over the last little while and of course living at the bottom of the world you have to wait for everything to turn up.

Exhaust, OBX headers and GT3.2 muffler are here, just waiting on electric exhaust cut outs and rpm switch.
Wheels, sourced some 17" BBS inner rims so that I can look at what size outers I'll require but already hit a snag with the donor set of 16" Fuchs, one wheel in the set is not the same thickness in the rim even though the part number is identical.............

This wheel will not be suitable to machine, maybe someone here can help?
I need one 16x6 Fuchs rim, condition not important.
Can be cracked, kerbed anything as long as the center is ok.

Please let me know what you have.
Will make a start next month and get a few things sorted while still keeping the car on the road for now.
Please, if you would, make a separate thread for your OBX header and exhaust venture? Many people, including myself, have been looking to travel down this path but nobody has quite gotten to it yet, and any documentation would be fantastic on how we can make them work!
Old 03-27-2015, 06:30 PM
racoguy
Racer

Can do, will probably do a double post then as I'll keep this thread for the entire car build.
Won't be able to do much wheel wise till I find another rim, my list of things to complete before I tear the car apart are
Electric steering
Wheels / tires
Suspension
Exhaust
Enough to keep me entertained for a while, good thing is I'll be able to drive it and get a feel for it before disasembly.
Old 05-04-2015, 02:24 AM
racoguy
Racer

My new rim halves have turned up from Germany at long last, super nice and couldn't wait to mock one up quickly...........as you do of course.
Always nice receiving boxes of new stuff, will have to make time to get these on the car..........
Attached Images  
Old 05-14-2015, 09:50 PM
racoguy
Racer

Another wheel completed ready for a test fit, don't know which way i'm heading with these paint wise but will be nice to get them on there with tires for a start.
Rear's worked out at 10.5 with an ET50 back spacing.
I have a fingers width clearance to the trailing arm which is plenty enough, no spacers which is the beauty for 3 piece custom wheels.
Attached Images    
Old 10-03-2020, 04:37 AM
racoguy
Racer

Time to drag this thread up from the depths, it's time has finally come. Way too many distractions and I'm embarrassed to say this car has been off the road since 2014!! I know right.....
Car is a 1990 C4 Japan import with only 100k km.
First order of business was to drag it out of storage and send it off to my friends panel shop to correct the rear lid gaps. For some reason the rear end was 5-7mm out of square which meant chassis machine and gentle pull.

Much happier with this, door and fender gaps next. I'm a little obsessive when it comes to gaps.
I pulled the engine and gearbox 2-3 years ago but since then the car just sat.
My good friend John McM completely stripped the engine and the two of us have since rebuilt the short block with new bearings, re sized rods and new rod bolts.
Cylinders are 0.001-0.002 oversize so I'm using this as an excuse to go 3.8L instead, run Motec or similar, mild cams etc......did someone say rabbit hole.......
So the engine has slowly been happening in the background, the next order of business is to completely strip the body for paint.
All mechanicals will be cleaned and gone through at the same time.
The following 3 users liked this post by racoguy:
911Jetta (10-07-2020), 9SIX4-C4 (12-13-2020), Ken D (10-03-2020)
Old 10-03-2020, 04:54 AM
racoguy
Racer

Having made space to work on the car and store the parts I could finally begin taking it apart.
This certainly isn't my first rodeo and I'm more than aware just how many bits you end up with once you take a car apart.
Bagging and tagging everything takes time but it's the only way to go with an unfamiliar car.
A Golf, of which I've done loads there's no need but I've not worked on too many Porsches.
Started with getting the interior out, not much of the stock stuff will be going back in but details are not yet 100% set in stone.

Tearing stuff apart is easy, trick is in getting it back together again.
Interior out on to stripping the doors, sunroof and pulling the glass.
I can see this process will take some time, I'll get some plastic storage bins next to keep things tidy.
Originally I was set on doing a backdate but have since come to my senses, with values going up there's fewer and fewer nice stock.....ish examples around and besides that a 964 is actually an awesome looking car.
Mine came with a big tasteless fiberglass wing which was replaced immediately by a stock lid.
On one of my US trips I visited Autobahn in SD a couple times and got a complete front bumper to replace the aftermarket one.
Couple of aero mirrors and a bunch of other Ex Singer parts near impossible to get here in NZ

The following users liked this post:
911Jetta (10-07-2020)
Old 10-07-2020, 04:09 AM
racoguy
Racer

Got the doors completely stripped, all rear glass out. Most of the interior is out and with bare doors couldn't resist doing a test fit of my replacement aero mirrorsmirrors.
What a transformation.
Have some storage bins coming tomorrow so I can start organizing my parts a little better.

911Jetta (10-07-2020)
Old 10-10-2020, 11:56 PM
racoguy
Racer

Having organized and stored all the parts removed so far yesterday I had about half a day left to strip the car some more.
stripped the rear lid and some of the engine bay, got bored with that end and thought I'd strip the dash.
Broke the windscreen removing it, someone had urethaned half of it in, in hindsight it was dumb of me to try and save the seal but anyway....too late now.

Removed the fuel pump, tank and HVAC box after that, leaking or not I'll be fitting a new evaporator after that performance.
One can see how the 993 was really the end of the road for this body style.
Largely unchanged for decades but more things crammed in.

John McM (10-12-2020)
Old 10-31-2020, 06:38 PM
racoguy
Racer

Body now stripped apart from the underpinnings its time to address the panel fit issues. The doors and guards really don't fit that well, at least not good enough for me.
Each panel is stamped with a unique number matching the body number and all of mine except the engine lid match the car so I really don't understand it as there's no evidence of any crash damage to the body work.
Parts of it have been painted in the past but nothing seems to fit very well.
Spent some hours moving the doors around to a point where they look really good, the edge of the 1/4 and door roll in a lot so if you put a straight edge across there's a sizable gap to the body work at that point.
I decided to just block the area down with 120 grit paper effectively using the existing paint to block the thing straight.
Small amount of filler in the rear 1/4 which mostly all wasn't needed.
Front guards have never been off but the RH front cowl has a crack on the edge, another one of those strange things but to repair it the fender needs coming off.
Fender removed there's very minor surface rust to deal with, ill probably remove the other one as well to check that side too.

starting to think about the Pole position style seats I'll be using as well, designing custom seat brackets for a different look that isn't available off any shelf.
Seat material for the inserts I already have so it's just a case of getting on with it.
Had an update on the motor as well, JMcM and I of course built the short block and another friend of mine is doing my heads.
All the parts have arrived so the heads will be getting done now.
New light weight valves with 8mm stems, ported and flow the heads and new 3.8L slugs.......ouch!!

John McM (11-02-2020)
Old 12-12-2020, 06:22 PM
racoguy
Racer

Finally got the 964 out of where it was stored to get on with the dirty part of the works. Good to have it in the work shop to get on with panel fit and repairing a couple of small rust spots in the window frame.
Remind me again why I keep fixing all this old crap?
Name:  DOuek7N.jpg
Views: 257
Size:  3.88 MB
Once I started grinding on the rust it became a hole and kept growing...with the rust ground away I just made a patch and welded in which then was metal finished ready for epoxy primer.
Quite an odd spot for rust, most probably started as a rock chip and spread from there.
Name:  r9wdBlO.jpg
Views: 253
Size:  4.06 MB

The cowl had a large split right on the edge which was the main reason for removing the fender. Fender had never been off before and no damage in the front end so can only assume metal fatigue causing this, quite odd.
Anyway its just a simple case of welding the crack back up and grinding it back.
Getting the gaps dialled in now before it heads off for paint, was going to paint it myself as I normally would but I just can't be bothered with this one as its just going to take too long and I have the Mk2 Golf to paint as well.
Name:  Vcs4MRl.jpg
Views: 252
Size:  4.35 MB

Last edited by racoguy; 12-12-2020 at 06:23 PM.

Quick Reply: Another 64