Sponsored by:

Project Lightweight C2

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2015, 05:01 PM
timtim
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi Porsche Mania,

look into another exhaust system... I have a manufactured DW-technik.de from Dieter Weiß, a crazy german regarding performance and weight. O gained some 25 hp and lost 20KG so called a win-win situation...

regards, Tim
Old 10-02-2015, 06:10 PM
Captain Ahab Jr.
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Porsche Mania, I like your approach, sounds like a well sorted car

For sure battery, my OEM Bosch Silvertop yoAH battery weighs 16.82kg, without going to a Lithium Ion battery you could fit a7kg Odyssey PC680 or 5.2kg Braille B14115. I don't have any personal experience of these batteries but know a few guys on IB.Com that do and don't have any problems.

Wheels the Porsche Cup 1's are quite heavy and forged Fuchs are a lot lighter, 13.6kg a set and the front are a bit wider at 8" wide

For sure aluminium disc bells, any unsprung weight you can get rid of helps handling. Your aluminium 993 RS uprights will save 2.64kg a pair.

At the rear you could get rid of the rear aluminium bumper beam (don't forget to add a towing point of some sort) ad change the hydraulic engine mountings to Wevo or Rennline, reckon that's another 8ish kg saving in a very good area of the car to save weight. Also the rear undertray and brackets are about 6kg

A few other random bits from my list, big washer bottle under the LH front wing and piping is 1.7kg, centre tunnel steel cover plate 1.8kg, plastic fuel tank cover 0.7kg, rear wiper assy 2.5kg

Also a cat delete pipe, think this is about 5kg saving

Reckon you will be close to 50kg with that lot, hope this helps and good luck
Old 10-03-2015, 03:38 PM
porsche mania
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the help, forgot but I've done a few bits off your list like the engine mount, the washer bottle and piping, under tray, rear wiper and cat delete. There is still around 25kg to be had with wheels, battery and the uprights. Maybe I need a carbon deck lid!
Old 10-04-2015, 07:40 AM
freedman
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Captain Ahab Jr.
At the rear you could get rid of the rear aluminium bumper beam
I didn't think you could delete the rear beam, because bumper cover has nothing to mount to across the back of the car if you do?
Old 10-04-2015, 03:11 PM
koenig_roland
Burning Brakes

Received 166 Likes on 83 Posts

Power steering delete and maybe commission the machining up of an RS ratio rack and pinion depending on costs and if I like the feel of unassisted steering
i would be interested in kit to modify me steering, if the price is not to crazy :-)
Old 10-04-2015, 07:59 PM
Captain Ahab Jr.
Pro

Originally Posted by freedman
I didn't think you could delete the rear beam, because bumper cover has nothing to mount to across the back of the car if you do?
Freedman, this was done before I got the car, I'll have a check and let you know how it is secured

Originally Posted by koenig_roland
i would be interested in kit to modify me steering, if the price is not to crazy :-)
KR, I've not planned to do a LHD version but if there is a demand it could happen

Back to removing more weight.....

Over the last few days I've been thinning down my wiring loom with some impressive results.

If I can give anyone some advice it would be start from each redundant plug and work your way back to the fuse box one wire at a time. Before cutting any wires I unwrapped/cut the tape off the loom to expose the bundle of individual wires, a messy sticky job, then fitted small cable ties every 3 or 4" so as to keep the shape and route of the loom as undisturbed as possible while picking it all apart.

I then started removing the heaviest gauge wires first as these are easiest to chase through bulkheads, then for the less common coloured wires as these are again easier to follow.

Not a big pile of wires but the weight adds up quickly

Still have many wires left to remove eg front fogs, headlight washer, rear blower, rear relay/fuse box, heating system, reversing lights, rear demister etc

0.535kg drivers door wiring loom (deleted mirror, central locking and passenger window switch wiring)
2.443kg rear wiper/wash wiring, sun roof, electric seat wiring, cut everything just short of the rear bulkhead and fuse box. Also didn't go as far as into the dash where the switches are.

weight removed running 177.616kg or 390.22lbs
Old 10-05-2015, 07:12 AM
HiWind
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

Great guns as ever!
Nice pile of multicolored flab removed.
I think I'm going to run a book on where you end up - taking bets now lads (and no Ahab you can't bet!)
2:1 offered on sub 900kgs
Old 10-05-2015, 07:50 AM
Undutched
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Too bad copper isn't worth all that much right now

On a previous car the climate control wouldn't work properly. Trying to find out what is was I removed the radio and found tons of old cables from previous installations for CD changer, bluetooth, GPS, etc. Removed a whole lot of wiring and the climate control worked again. The engines didn't have room to move...
Old 10-08-2015, 06:51 PM
Captain Ahab Jr.
Pro

quick post as its bed time

0.488kg rear wheel arch liner and fixings LH
20.589kg wheels (details and driving feedback to follow soon, just need to buy some new rear tyres)

weight removed running 198.693kg or 438.04lbs

Will try to get to 200kg over the weekend
Old 10-09-2015, 09:53 AM
jstyer
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Captain Ahab Jr.
20.589kg wheels (details and driving feedback to follow soon, just need to buy some new rear tyres)
You're down 20+ kg just on wheels??? I gotta hear this

You're going to make me feel dumb for buying OZ alleggerita's.
Old 10-09-2015, 04:41 PM
Captain Ahab Jr.
Pro

Originally Posted by jstyer
You're down 20+ kg just on wheels??? I gotta hear this

You're going to make me feel dumb for buying OZ alleggerita's.
No worry about that as I'm the one feeling dumb shouldn't have used my fingers and toes when counting, my last post should have read...

17.589kg wheels (details and driving feedback to follow soon, just need to buy some new rear tyres)

weight removed running 196.181kg or 432.50lbs
Old 10-09-2015, 04:48 PM
HiWind
Race Car

umm.. not really a material error in the scheme of thing as its still 4.5kg per corner from the wheel switch .. must be pretty serious or are you running those rare Mag 15in off the 6 cylinder 914 that only weigh 3.3kgs?!

Or simply gone Ozzie and bought some Carbon Revolution 1 piece CF rims

oh right .. forgot about the 17in Japanese SSRs
Old 10-17-2015, 06:53 PM
Captain Ahab Jr.
Pro

HiWind, the SSR's are 5kgs lighter, these will require a bit of work to fit but until then I couldn't resist buying a set of 8" and 9" x 17" Fikse Mach V wheels

Picture as requested

Looking at the ride heights, I think I needs lowering again as its got lighter since the last time it was set up

One aspect of my build I plan to concentrate on is unsprung weight as everything I have ever been taught by some of the most successful race car designers in the world is 'less is more'. The only downside is don't take too much off that you cause problems with stiffness and strength. In a nut shell its all about maximising the tyre contact patch and keeping it a consistent size and shape.

Fitted everything today including new rear Bridgestone SO2A tyres and had a quick drive to see what losing 17kgs of rotating unsprung weight feels like.

My test loop is not as fun to drive as my old test loop which was a section of the Ferrari road car mountain test loop in the hills north of Maranello but as road surfaces go my new Oxfordshire B road and lane route is a far more extreme tyre grip test

To add to the experience I also left out the passenger seat and ran a low fuel level, car weight approx. 1120kg.

Even being careful on new tyres the difference I felt was far more than I expected. Its given the acceleration a new sense of urgency, feels like a lot more than 17kgs of weight has been lost, I'd almost go as far as saying on acceleration it feels similar to when I removed the first 100kg of weight.

The improved feedback through the steering was apparent from turning out of my driveway at slow speed. It's improved so much that I'm 100% convinced the power steering has got to go. Higher speeds its a bit darty in a super reactive sort of way rather than a nervous, unsettling way. In summary you can feel the road talking to you through the steering wheel so much more than before.

In summary the best weight I've lost so far on the car and there is more to come.
Old 10-18-2015, 01:26 AM
HiWind
Race Car

Sounds great - would love to get my car below 1200 i.e. where the cup car is .... Interesting comment on the ps - could be right but I'd hate parking more than I Already do with my buckets (not made for rear viewing over shoulder) I think

Ps - how much weight did you lose building the wall?!

Car looks great knowing what we know
Old 10-19-2015, 02:54 PM
SuperUser
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you done anything to lighting the mirrors, I know those flags are heavy.

Quick Reply: Project Lightweight C2