993 Forum 1995-1998

993 Tiptronic question

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2012, 02:58 AM
peter y.s pang
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 993 Tiptronic question

My 993 automatic . i just noticed that, when i start the car with D , it come to 2nd gear not on 1st gear. Is that normal ?
Old 05-15-2012, 03:35 AM
mgianzero
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I haven't owned a tip 993 in years.

But I do remember something like that. I believe it starts in 2nd from park and stop. But if you put it in reverse just prior to drive, it will start in 1st. Some sort of weird Porsche thing.
Old 05-15-2012, 04:11 AM
Luftd993
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes that is normal.
Put it in 3 and it will start in 1. You then have to move to D if you want 4.
Old 05-15-2012, 01:27 PM
ferdie993
Advanced

yup, thats normal, but when you slam on the gas pedal it will go down to 1st gear.
Old 05-15-2012, 02:57 PM
hoggel
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Here's a quote from a post I made a few years ago.

Originally Posted by hoggel
The tip system is complex. It takes seven pages in the Factory Repair Manual to describe the operation. In the automatic program the electronic transmission control system selects among 5 different shift point maps from SC1 for "comfortable" driving to SC5 for "very sporting" driving. The inputs are shift selector, throttle position, rpm, speed, lateral acceleration, and longitudinal acceleration.

Here's some stuff plagiarized from the manual.

To go straight to SC5 the "accelerator is depressed suddenly and abruptly".

"When the accelerator is released rapidly ahead of curves (throttle control speed), the control unit detects this driving situation and prevents shifting."

"The transverse acceleration sensor sends a signal to the control unit as soon as vehicle exceeds the transverse acceleration thresholds at which no shifts should be made. The engaged gear then remains selected regardless of any accelerator movement."

The “kickdown latching” allows the max rpm shiftpoints to be used at less than full throttle. “The function is started when the kickdown switch is actuated and the accelerator is released rapidly.” “The kickdown shift speeds remain active until the accelerator is released to 50% of the full-throttle position.”

If you want to start out in first gear instead of second the throttle angle must be >35% in the “D” position or the shift selector must be in “3”, “2”, or “1”.

And on and on with “adaptive pressure control, “uphill and downhill detection”, “warm-up map”, “transmission protection at high ATF temperatures” …
Old 05-16-2012, 12:55 AM
berni29
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi

I just use the steering wheel button to move it to 1st if I want to pull away in 1st.

Berni
Old 05-16-2012, 01:01 AM
peter y.s pang
Instructor

yes, i do the same use Tip to change gear. but most of my time use "D" for daily drive.
Old 05-16-2012, 01:08 AM
peter y.s pang
Instructor

Thanks for the detail information. But even i stop the car and put it in D. it automatic go the 2nd gear. which i don't know why.
Old 05-16-2012, 04:38 AM
p993enthusiast
Racer

Peter

D by default starts off in 2nd gear and when you stop it returns to 2nd gear. That is normal. As others have said, in full auto mode, if u want to the system to engage first gear, you need to select 3 or lower gear.

anyway, most of us use the manual mode even on daily drives as the kick down is quite slow.
Old 05-16-2012, 05:30 AM
peter y.s pang
Instructor

Hi Alan

thanks for your information and i PM you as well.
Old 05-16-2012, 07:31 AM
Aussie Alan 993
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I read here somewhere that there is a way to teach the tip tranny to select 1st when you come to a stop, it involved someting like shifting back to 1st in manual mode as your speed came to 10mph or lower and doing this a number of times. I tried it several times but could never get it to learn.
Bad Porschey, No treat for you...

I have noticed that it sometimes selected 1st from first take off in winter but only a handful of times in all the time I have had it, and never once it has warmed up a little.
Old 05-16-2012, 05:30 PM
hoggel
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by peter y.s pang
Thanks for the detail information. But even i stop the car and put it in D. it automatic go the 2nd gear. which i don't know why.
As I posted above:
If you want to start out in first gear instead of second the throttle angle must be >35% in the “D” position or the shift selector must be in “3”, “2”, or “1”.

Originally Posted by Aussie Alan 993
I read here somewhere that there is a way to teach the tip tranny to select 1st when you come to a stop, it involved someting like shifting back to 1st in manual mode as your speed came to 10mph or lower and doing this a number of times. I tried it several times but could never get it to learn.
Bad Porschey, No treat for you...

I have noticed that it sometimes selected 1st from first take off in winter but only a handful of times in all the time I have had it, and never once it has warmed up a little.
The tiptronic CU doesn't "learn" anything. It selects shift maps based on logic set during the current drive and current inputs; shift selector, throttle position, rpm, speed, lateral acceleration, and longitudinal acceleration.

I'll have to look it up again (in the factory repair manual) but I believe 'moving off in second gear' is enabled after 'warm-up'.
Old 05-16-2012, 11:20 PM
Ed Burdell
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Just use it in manual mode, and get redline it every now and then (once you've warmed it up, of course). Your engine will thank you.
Old 05-16-2012, 11:28 PM
berni29
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi

I agree, plus putting the car in "D" goes against nature.

Berni
Old 05-17-2012, 02:14 AM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

OK Peter...time to post pics and details of your car...not too many Rennlisters (nor 993s) in Hong Kong these days so I'm always curious who else is out there.

Quick Reply: 993 Tiptronic question