Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Blown 944 Hybrid Stroker DIY Guide

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2014, 02:09 PM
cruise98
Three Wheelin'

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

Thanks. I asked a few questions too. There is actually a scored block on my stand at home that is cleaned and ready for grouting, but when I started looking at the water pump end, I was not exactly sure how to grout that area and had to leave for the other side of the world before I had decided what to do. Some photos of that area would be very instructive. The current floor of the water jacket is roughly the same depth as the water pump discharge port.
Old 01-21-2014, 02:26 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 633 Likes on 490 Posts

I've got a scratched-bore 87 block and a #2-failed-crank ready for hybrid-stroking if anyone's interested in taking it off my hands...

Old 01-22-2014, 12:06 AM
refresh951
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by cruise98
Thanks. I asked a few questions too. There is actually a scored block on my stand at home that is cleaned and ready for grouting, but when I started looking at the water pump end, I was not exactly sure how to grout that area and had to leave for the other side of the world before I had decided what to do. Some photos of that area would be very instructive. The current floor of the water jacket is roughly the same depth as the water pump discharge port.
I remember calling Sid about this very topic and got a call a week ago from a guy ready to fill his block also. I will post detailed instructions for this in the next few days.
Old 01-22-2014, 10:22 PM
msalvatore
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank's for doing this, much appreciated.
Old 01-25-2014, 03:03 PM
DanaT
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by blown 944
Thanks Shawn for documenting the build(s) and parts list. I am obviously not that great at detailed documentation. I tend to keep most of it in my head. It will help me too in regards to responding to messages.

Hopefully, we can make this as easy as possible for anyone looking to build one. I'll add suggestions as it goes and after you get the majority of info posted.

Thanks again!!
I think the easiest way for me to do this isnt following this instruction manual...

I think driving a few miles..and stealing an engine would be easier.....

Old 01-25-2014, 03:23 PM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Great thread Shawn & Sid!

Having the joy of being around these Hybrid stroker motors for a while now, I am excited to see more people go this route - and this thread is a big step in the right direction.
The following users liked this post:
fejjj (05-11-2020)
Old 01-25-2014, 03:34 PM
p5th
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Rogue_Ant
Great thread Shawn & Sid! Having the joy of being around these Hybrid stroker motors for a while now, I am excited to see more people go this route - and this thread is a big step in the right direction.
Quick question, I'm about to go the hybrid route and have read somewhere of a specific tune/chip for these engines. Am I correct or did I miss read? Already have M-tune,and waiting for new DME project to get logger/tuner all in one bundle. Just trying to plan for this build as best possible. Thanks.
Old 01-25-2014, 03:37 PM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Originally Posted by p5th
Quick question, I'm about to go the hybrid route and have read somewhere of a specific tune/chip for these engines. Am I correct or did I miss read? Already have M-tune,and waiting for new DME project to get logger/tuner all in one bundle. Just trying to plan for this build as best possible. Thanks.
Yes, any time you change engine displacement - we will want to update the tune. I have maps for the different stroker variants.
Old 01-25-2014, 03:48 PM
URG8RB8
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Very nice write up Shawn!
Old 01-28-2014, 09:07 PM
refresh951
Rennlist Member

Block prep update added.
Old 01-28-2014, 09:11 PM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Because i cannot modify my sticky, You should add this to it. Probably highlight it too.
Old 01-29-2014, 10:26 AM
URG8RB8
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Couple of questions Shawn, is KLR a typo? Did you use CLR to clean the block? If not, what is KLR? Also, what is the depth from the top of the block to the block filler, or what height % is recommended?
Old 01-29-2014, 10:57 AM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

One thing to note is that the thrust/axial clearance at the big end of the crank will be very large with the Mitsubishi rods. I removed the pan of my engine yesterday to inspect and change the rod bearings and can happily say that there is no signs of this causing any issues at all.
Old 01-29-2014, 12:08 PM
refresh951
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by URG8RB8
Couple of questions Shawn, is KLR a typo? Did you use CLR to clean the block? If not, what is KLR? Also, what is the depth from the top of the block to the block filler, or what height % is recommended?
oops! yes CLR. Edited the post. Thanks. I filled to about 1.7 inches from the top.

Originally Posted by Duke
One thing to note is that the thrust/axial clearance at the big end of the crank will be very large with the Mitsubishi rods. I removed the pan of my engine yesterday to inspect and change the rod bearings and can happily say that there is no signs of this causing any issues at all.
Thanks for the feedback Duke! Both Sid and I found the same thing but it is good to hear considering the extensive track use.
Old 01-29-2014, 03:51 PM
blown 944
Race Car

Shawn, you're doing a wonderful job with this write up. Thank you again.

A couple of things of note;

Crank grinder should be able to keep the crank straight if they are cautious when grinding each journal. It is imperative that they watch the runout as they are machining.

Regarding the radius at the big end; we used to have cranks ground with a "fat radius" and used narrow race bearings on small block chevys. Same idea here.

Rods need small ends machined for pins.

If any aluminum makes contact at the bottom of the cylinder, the skirt will gall and ruin the cylinders.

May want to add the option of using flanged sleeves if your machinist will do it. This provides a nice sealing area for the HG.

Also unlike doing a factory stroker, these do not require clearancing at the girdle.

The wet paper towel idea to block ports and to shape water pump inlet works very well and easily removed.

When having the crank ground I wanted a racing clearance for the rod bearings. Iirc, I specd .002. I believe that info is in my original thread.

Last edited by blown 944; 01-30-2014 at 01:33 AM.

Quick Reply: Blown 944 Hybrid Stroker DIY Guide