Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Driving Advice? Descending in a RWD on loose.

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2016, 12:45 PM
Noahs944
Race Car

Received 230 Likes on 169 Posts
Default Driving Advice? Descending in a RWD on loose.

Hello,

I can't help but get squeamish on a steep gravel, icy or muddy descent.

...And I'd like to go faster while doing so.

What are some good rules of thumb for what TO DO & what NOT TO DO in my rwd sportscar while in the slippery hills?

Thanks!

Noah
Old 08-26-2016, 12:58 PM
Arominus
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I know this is a rally related question, sooo i gotta ask, how willing are you to crash? because your willingness to do so kinda determines how hard you can push.
Old 08-26-2016, 01:06 PM
Noahs944
Race Car

Damn, you must be smart in order to cram that into one line of text brother.
Don't really want to crash. Taking baby steps. The most confidence I've been able to get is left foot braking, to load the steer axle and control the speed, but I don't know if that's "recommended" it just makes the most sense to me at this point... but I'm not very comfortable.

The last rally we did had muddy descents & I found I had to stay on the throttle or else the car kicked sideways... but some times it was in fourth gear -which felt a bit too fast at times- and... everything worked out (we didn't crash) but it got me thinking about how to gain better control of the speed and thats when I started experimenting with LFB.
Old 08-26-2016, 01:19 PM
Arominus
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wilson is an 88 right? thought about retro fitting the early Boxster ABS? you would need the rest of the ABS gear from an 87-89, but it may help you. I know, i know, driving aids, but it could be really helpful for your confidence. Put a switch on it so you can turn it off when you don't want it.

My S2 does the same thing on Decel (aka engine braking) in the snow, but only in 1st/2nd. I usually keep just a little of throttle in it to keep her happy while left foot braking to keep it in check. Mind you this is hoonery in a ski area parking lot as i'm not quite brave enough to take the car on a rally adventure. I feel like you've got the right idea about watching the balance of the car and adjusting via axle loading.
Old 08-26-2016, 01:21 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 662 Likes on 515 Posts

All-terrain tires
Keep the steering wheel pointed the way you want to go...
Old 08-26-2016, 07:56 PM
mikey_audiogeek
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Raise the front suspension and lower the rear.

The instability is a result of the low front roll centre and the high rear roll centre.

Under power the rear squats which lowers the rear roll centre and hides the problem but on a descent the problem reappears.

Cheers,
Mike
Old 08-26-2016, 11:10 PM
Noahs944
Race Car

Originally Posted by Arominus
Wilson is an 88 right? thought about retro fitting the early Boxster ABS? you would need the rest of the ABS gear from an 87-89, but it may help you. I know, i know, driving aids, but it could be really helpful for your confidence. Put a switch on it so you can turn it off when you don't want it.

My S2 does the same thing on Decel (aka engine braking) in the snow, but only in 1st/2nd. I usually keep just a little of throttle in it to keep her happy while left foot braking to keep it in check. Mind you this is hoonery in a ski area parking lot as i'm not quite brave enough to take the car on a rally adventure. I feel like you've got the right idea about watching the balance of the car and adjusting via axle loading.
I drive better without ABS. I don't like ABS, but thanks anyway brother
Old 08-26-2016, 11:57 PM
Noahs944
Race Car

Originally Posted by mikey_audiogeek
Raise the front suspension and lower the rear.

The instability is a result of the low front roll centre and the high rear roll centre.

Under power the rear squats which lowers the rear roll centre and hides the problem but on a descent the problem reappears.

Cheers,
Mike
Thank you for your input Mike. Honestly I know very little about suspension... so I searched online for "roll centre".
This is what I found: http://thecartech.com/subjects/auto_...oll_Center.htm
This article discusses CORNERING. My problem isn't during cornering... just descending down a straight hill.
Old 08-27-2016, 12:35 AM
thomasmryan
Drifting

Received 121 Likes on 89 Posts

Get some wings))

What Mike said....soft in the butt and don't even think of touching the brakes. My car reaches level at an eighth of a tank.

Be in the gear that allows deceleration AND acceleration so you can match wheel speed with your velocity.
Attached Images  
Old 08-27-2016, 03:55 AM
924srr27l
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Noahs944
Hello,

I can't help but get squeamish on a steep gravel, icy or muddy descent.

...And I'd like to go faster while doing so.

What are some good rules of thumb for what TO DO & what NOT TO DO in my rwd sportscar while in the slippery hills?

Thanks!

Noah

Porsche made a prototype rear (VW) engine 4X4 944 this would be handy on the Loose!

R
Old 08-27-2016, 04:03 AM
924srr27l
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Or just add more "Beers" for added Traction !

R
Old 08-27-2016, 04:51 AM
Per vers
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Use a lower gear. Keep the wheels turning. Don't block the wheels.

Start slowly on the decent. and try to accelerate down. The car will do that anyway. That's why You have to start slow ;-)

If you are going too fast. Try braking, But very gently. Still too fast, scrub some speed off, by going sideways. No, you won't roll over trust me ;-)

So when you come to a downhill. Slam the brakes before the top. If you do it too late, you will nosedive down the hill. If you want airtime, keep a steady trottle over the top.

On jumps:

If you think the road is turning on the other side of the jump/hill. You can flick the car going over the top. Just a little. That will make the car easier to turn, when landing.
On really fast jumps/downhill don't do it. Unless you have a Finnish passport.

Look at some Rallycross and 1000 lakes rally videos.

Or maybe this one. http://www.redbull.com/en/motorsport...pohja-kamaz-vw

Have fun. Regards Per
Old 08-27-2016, 08:08 AM
mikey_audiogeek
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Noahs944
Thank you for your input Mike. Honestly I know very little about suspension... so I searched online for "roll centre".
This is what I found: http://thecartech.com/subjects/auto_...oll_Center.htm
This article discusses CORNERING. My problem isn't during cornering... just descending down a straight hill.
Yes, I do understand the problem!

Roll centre affects straight line stability as well. Roll centre instantaneously responds to any lateral force. Roll centre has a lot to do with the "feel" of a car even in a straight line.

Let me put it another way: if you're "just" decending down a "straight" hill and there are ZERO lateral forces, then the squeamish feeling has nothing to do with the car, it must all be in your head!
(and it also means you can take your hands off the steering wheel, right?)
Clearly this is not the case, so...

Something else you can try is moving more weight up front.

Cheers,
Mike
Old 08-27-2016, 05:52 PM
Noahs944
Race Car

Thank you everyone for your help.
Old 08-27-2016, 07:18 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 213 Likes on 153 Posts

run a 245mm sticky front tire and 225mm dead/numb/hard sucky compound in the rear.

Quick Reply: Driving Advice? Descending in a RWD on loose.