Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Paint a low milage 951 or not?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2016, 01:55 PM
Speedyellowc4s
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paint a low milage 951 or not?

I have a nice 56k mile guards red 944 turbo. There are some paint flaws and a mark on the door jam from the driver rubbing feet getting in and out of the car. I am curious if I should repaint the entire car and make it flawless. I have auto body skills and can paint perfectly. No issue there. I am just curious if future buyers and/or collectors would prefer original paint over a paint job, despite the current flaws. If I decided to show the car in the future, same issue- what would a judge prefer to see? An attempted paint correction on the original paint with touch up paint, or a perfect new paint job.

Also- the original paint is a single stage paint, new cars have base coat/clear coat. Should I use base coat/ clear coat, or single stage like the original paint if I do paint the car?

Thoughts?
Old 02-07-2016, 02:14 PM
Dougs951S
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

That's entirely up to you. Paint it if the small flaws bother you enough. A factory paint job is worth exactly 0 additional dollars vs a nice respray on these cars. Nobody cares either way, especially in a color likes Guards red.
Old 02-07-2016, 02:32 PM
CyCloNe!
Race Car

Received 121 Likes on 103 Posts

Due to the nature of these cars I would just respray it especially since you have talent in this area. These cars most likely won't get high dollar collector status unless its a rare model like 951S, cup car, gtr ect.
Old 02-07-2016, 03:25 PM
mytrplseven
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

If you do decide to repaint, I'd stay with the single stage. The door jambs and window/hatch tracks wouldn't have to be done if you stay with guards red. The problem with red as original paint repair is that red fades faster than other paints over time so it's hard to impossible to get a touch up right.
Old 02-07-2016, 06:51 PM
odonnell
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 45 Posts

I'd argue that the nicer 951s are going up in value - not because they're "original" but because there are nice compared to the beaten-down ones. The purists don't really bother too much with these cars anyway, do it, it'll add value and make it a nicer car.
Old 02-07-2016, 10:38 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

why would you stay with single stage. No advantage there, and IMO a better finish with the clearcoat. Also much easier with a clearcoat system vs. single stage to paint and get it nice. I know the factory was single stage but that was a cost issue- they cleared the metallic cars because they had to.
Old 02-08-2016, 12:12 PM
Cole
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There have been several recent, high dollar, sales of clean low mile original 951s. These sales indicate that the market is indeed rising dramatically for these and collectors are spending the money.($30k-80k)

If it's clean enough to be collector worthy then it's worth more with original paint.

If you want a perfect one with modern 2 stage paint to drive and show, I'd buy a cheap higher mileage example that really "needs" paint

(My cars value could only increase with modern paint)
Old 02-08-2016, 02:23 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 58 Posts

While 56K miles isn't that much, I think the "low mileage" cars that are bringing big money have 5-10k miles.

Repaint (or not) to please your aesthetic vision of the car.
Old 02-08-2016, 02:28 PM
bonus12
Three Wheelin'

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

I dream of the day when my car and I will be ready for new paint. I will go with the stock color.
I think it will only do good for the car as the paint is not perfect (far from it, really). I think it's important to just make sure it's a job well done that won't hinder any future paint job or cosmetic work. Obviously, if the door jams or engine bay are a different color then that's a problem, or if future chips in the paint reveal an ugly underlayer, there is a problem. But as long as the original paint is NOT perfect, I could never see how a brand new, high quality paint job in the stock color could be a bad thing.
Old 02-08-2016, 03:39 PM
Cole
Drifting

Wink

I'll try to find some of the links if I can.

Here is a recent sale of an 82k mile Turbo S for $23,000.

http://bringatrailer.com/listing/198...e-944-turbo-s/

There was a VERY low mileage Silver Rose that sold for $82k a few years back.

http://www.goodingco.com/vehicle/198...e-944-turbo-s/

Here are some I just stumbled on. Think they are unsold, but the asking prices shows where the market may be going.

$75k ask

http://germancarsforsaleblog.com/198...th-7000-miles/

$70k ask.

http://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/...4/1767530.html

$39k ask

http://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/...4/1776587.html
Old 02-08-2016, 03:54 PM
Cole
Drifting

Low mileage and original are hard to find and are starting to command large premiums.

The painted, modded, junky cars will stay cheap-er for awhile but will eventually rise too
Old 02-08-2016, 08:16 PM
raleighBahn
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

See what a really good detailing will do, if you haven't tried it. It is unbelievable how much dirt gets embedded and changes the color. I found this out when some mothers r3 left a bright white streak in my alpine white. It was totally harmless and just informed me how unbelievably dirty paint can get. Cleaned the rest up and pretty remarkable. I found some good product for single stage.

Purists will always want original paint if possible - there is a growing trend towards sympathetic treatment even in concours. If you do get it painted, full body off, documented job by a porsche certified paint shop is next best.

Else if it is a fun car, and this is really what our cars are best at, do anything you like. It's not much fun trying to keep one of these nice - these are like duck dogs begging the master to let them out of the kennel and into the cold water.
Old 02-08-2016, 08:32 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 533 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by raleighBahn
See what a really good detailing will do, if you haven't tried it. It is unbelievable how much dirt gets embedded and changes the color. I found this out when some mothers r3 left a bright white streak in my alpine white. It was totally harmless and just informed me how unbelievably dirty paint can get. Cleaned the rest up and pretty remarkable. I found some good product for single stage.

Purists will always want original paint if possible - there is a growing trend towards sympathetic treatment even in concours. If you do get it painted, full body off, documented job by a porsche certified paint shop is next best.

Else if it is a fun car, and this is really what our cars are best at, do anything you like. It's not much fun trying to keep one of these nice - these are like duck dogs begging the master to let them out of the kennel and into the cold water.
+1
Old 02-14-2016, 12:07 AM
Speedyellowc4s
AutoX

Yeah.... I'll do a complete buff this spring and see what happens.
Old 02-14-2016, 02:05 PM
mckenney48
3rd Gear

From what I have experienced in my car, it does not really seem to matter what you do with the paint as long as it is clean. I had an '84 in Guards Red and now I have a '86 951 that was resprayed by the previous owner from Guards to Garnet and I still get a whole bunch of compliments from anyone down the street to an "enthusiast".

It seems to me like, as long as it is clean, and well done, no one will care,these cars are gorgeous naturally.

Quick Reply: Paint a low milage 951 or not?