Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are all steering wheel fittings the same?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2016, 10:58 PM
Mister Quickie
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Are all steering wheel fittings the same?

I'm looking at replacing the steering wheel but is the fitting specific to the year/make/model like most parts or universal like A/C charging fittings?
Old 02-14-2016, 11:06 PM
mytrplseven
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

No because the hub is designed to hold specifically designed turn signal cancellation and horn contact ring. If you buy something like a Porsche 944 Momo wheel, the hub is of a specific part number that is compatible for that car and model. additionally, the spline size and pitch is likely different between manufacturers.
Old 02-14-2016, 11:20 PM
Mister Quickie
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mytrplseven
No because the hub is designed to hold specifically designed turn signal cancellation and horn contact ring. If you buy something like a Porsche 944 Momo wheel, the hub is of a specific part number that is compatible for that car and model. additionally, the spline size and pitch is likely different between manufacturers.
I see, thanks
Old 02-14-2016, 11:48 PM
RoyaleWithCheese
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

There are some spline adapters that will allow you to add a wheel with a different spline size.

It can be difficult to find the spline information for different steering wheels unless it's a wheel off a specific make and model that you are trying to fit, though.

If you just want to get an aftermarket wheel like a Momo, Grant, Sparco, etc, then the wheel manufacturer will typically have a hub adapter for pretty much every make and model that you can buy to attach the wheel to your car.

I just got a Renown brand wheel and am super excited to get it on the car. Im attaching it with a Volkswagen spline adapter (part no. 191419514A) and an NRG short hub adapter since it's a deep dish wheel but don't want it much closer to me than the factory wheel.

Quick Reply: Are all steering wheel fittings the same?