Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tires?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2014, 07:50 PM
JJR512
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tires?

I'm sure this has been discussed before but tire designs change over time so I'm going to start a new thread.

I'm looking for tire recommendations, specifically for 17" wheels, and I'm looking for high-performance all-season tires.

In the past, I've used the Michelin Pilot Sport AS line, going back to the first generation of that line, and I've always liked those tires. In the absence of a strong opinion against that tire on this car, or in favor of something else specific, that's what I'll probably end up going with.

So if you know those tires are not good for this car, please let me know. Or if you're very impressed with some other high-performance all-season tire, tell me about it, and why you like it.

Thanks!
Old 08-19-2014, 08:16 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by JJR512
high-performance all-season tires
Oxymoron. I've never found a tire that was both "high-performance" and "all-season".
Old 08-19-2014, 10:41 PM
JJR512
Instructor

Technically, the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S is classified as "ultra high performance all season".

I have no doubt that the performance of an all-season tire is not up to the same standard as a summer tire. However, within the classification of all-season tires, some perform better than others. The better performing all-season tires are called high-performance all-season tires, and the best ones are ultra-high-performance all-season tires. Again, I'm sure they're not as good as the best summer performance tires, this is all relative.

A/S tires are the only type I'll consider because my 944 is my daily driver. Even in the summer it rains, and I don't have a backup car to use when the weather is less than ideal.

So, sticking within the stated intent of my original question, I'm seeking recommendations for the best-performing all-season tires, such as the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3, which is what I'll go with if nobody can give me a better suggestion, or strong reason to not use that tire.
Old 08-20-2014, 12:45 AM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 58 Posts

I understand what you're saying. I can't offer any advice.
Old 08-20-2014, 12:54 AM
VirginiaF1
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FWIW:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/survey....jsp?type=HPAS
Old 08-20-2014, 03:37 AM
Reimu
Drifting

I dd my car with summer tires, never had an issue
Even in winter it isn't bad, if you're far up north enough to where it snows heavily you probably should have a dedicated set of snow tires anyway
Old 08-20-2014, 09:24 AM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,084 Likes on 1,188 Posts

Technically, the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S is classified as "ultra high performance all season".

I have no doubt that the performance of an all-season tire is not up to the same standard as a summer tire. However, within the classification of all-season tires, some perform better than others. The better performing all-season tires are called high-performance all-season tires, and the best ones are ultra-high-performance all-season tires. Again, I'm sure they're not as good as the best summer performance tires, this is all relative.
It's called marketing.

High performance summer tires are what a lot of track guys use for rain tires.....

The #1 issue with "summer" tires is temperature. Once it drops below 40F or so, they start to get sketchy and then you want cold weather / winter tires.

If you want the safest setup, you need two sets of wheels and dedicated tires for the split in seasons, assuming you live in such an area.
Old 08-20-2014, 09:55 AM
raleighBahn
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like a good compromise. I have three sets of wheels/tires that I use for different applications. I have dunlop direzza summer that are on mostly, but do also have all season. Michelin are excellent.

Edit: and mine is not daily driver. If it were, I would use the Michelin's you cite.

Edit2(not enough coffee this AM): I have Michelin pilot sport a/s on my 2013 GTI and they are the best all season IMHO.

I'm sure this has been discussed before but tire designs change over time so I'm going to start a new thread.

I'm looking for tire recommendations, specifically for 17" wheels, and I'm looking for high-performance all-season tires.

In the past, I've used the Michelin Pilot Sport AS line, going back to the first generation of that line, and I've always liked those tires. In the absence of a strong opinion against that tire on this car, or in favor of something else specific, that's what I'll probably end up going with.

So if you know those tires are not good for this car, please let me know. Or if you're very impressed with some other high-performance all-season tire, tell me about it, and why you like it.

Thanks!
Old 08-20-2014, 03:02 PM
JJR512
Instructor

Originally Posted by Reimu
I dd my car with summer tires, never had an issue
Even in winter it isn't bad, if you're far up north enough to where it snows heavily you probably should have a dedicated set of snow tires anyway
Originally Posted by Hacker-Pschorr
It's called marketing.

High performance summer tires are what a lot of track guys use for rain tires.....

The #1 issue with "summer" tires is temperature. Once it drops below 40F or so, they start to get sketchy and then you want cold weather / winter tires.

If you want the safest setup, you need two sets of wheels and dedicated tires for the split in seasons, assuming you live in such an area.
Between the two of you, and with Van's comments as well, are you telling me that in the summer rain, a good summer tire will offer better traction than a good A/S tire?

Because if you're telling me, and this can be backed up by more people (or links) that the wet traction of a high-performance summer tire is better than the wet traction of a high-performance A/S tire, then—and only then—will I consider summer tires.
Old 08-20-2014, 03:14 PM
konakat
Burning Brakes

It looks like the PS2 is a pretty good all-around option according to this test http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...mparison-tests. Compared against nine summer tires, it was above average in the dry and the best in the wet. Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec were 2nd in the dry and very nearly as good as the PS2 in the wet, so they would also be a good choice for you.
Old 08-20-2014, 04:29 PM
Arominus
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Run summer/winter sets if you can, its so much better. I run RE-11's on 17s (225/255) in summer and michelin alpin snows in the winter on 16's (205/225) and the car is fun in the summer and i can auto x competitively, they are also great in the rain. In the winter its safe in the cold and good in the snow.

Its so worth it.
Old 08-20-2014, 08:58 PM
raleighBahn
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

One key question I suppose is where do you live, or more specifically, what is the climate?

Here in southeast summer tires are perfect, and nobody is going to drive a rwd porsche in the snow (for long). In the northeast, different story.
Old 08-20-2014, 09:08 PM
JJR512
Instructor

Maryland. Neither North nor South. In the summer, it's mid-80s to upper 90s, with a thunderstorm about once a week, and occasionally other lighter rains.

In the winter, it's mid-20s to low-40s, occasionally dipping into the teens. Rarely gets into single digits. We'll have a 3" to 8" snow storm about once a month in the main winter months, and a lighter snow storm in between. It's not common for there to be much snow on the roads to drive on, but ice, or icy conditions, are more common.

konakat who lives in the same general geographic area I do can confirm/refute the weather conditions I've described...
Old 08-20-2014, 09:17 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

I'd just like to add....

save the 17" rims.... as some are valuable. and those will be even more valuable in the near future.

but what you need are 18" rims. as there's a very large quantity of tire options.
Old 08-20-2014, 09:37 PM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Don't be a girl and get some Ultra High Performance Summer tyres.
I have toyo T1R all year round.

Quick Reply: Tires?