Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Karl_W944 and the Search for the Perfect 944 :Burnout:

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2013, 10:15 PM
longrunner1
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey, Karl if I hit Mega millions tonight I will give you my 1987 944S, as a xmas present. Just take your time and follow the good advise of the forum brothers here, Real Service records a must, buy one with the most up to date service as far as belts, water pump etc. I will keep my eyes and ears open for something in your budget. Hey check out Jason@maniacracing.net He is a great wrench and 944 restoration guy and can probably put a nice 944 in your hands with a guarantee. Good Luck with your search.
Old 12-10-2013, 10:17 PM
Intruder196
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Karl_W944
Jimmy-Jacking? But I thought it was a bad idea? That was kinda the idea everyone gave me from what I remember. To not do family business and go out and find my own
Sadly I read that entire thread. You say your budget is $4k, then you let yourself be talked out of getting your uncle's 944 without inspecting it in person. Then you browse CL, looking at 944's that are listed way above your stated budget. Most 944's you are likely to find will need alot of work, including your uncles car. Me, I would opt for the uncles car, because I would know where it has been and what repairs and fixes it has had or will need done. And there is no garantee that the repair work you will end up doing to the uncles 944 wont happen to any other you find. After all they arent getting any newer with each passing year.
Old 12-10-2013, 10:25 PM
Karl_W944
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Intruder196
Sadly I read that entire thread. You say your budget is $4k, then you let yourself be talked out of getting your uncle's 944 without inspecting it in person. Then you browse CL, looking at 944's that are listed way above your stated budget. Most 944's you are likely to find will need alot of work, including your uncles car. Me, I would opt for the uncles car, because I would know where it has been and what repairs and fixes it has had or will need done. And there is no garantee that the repair work you will end up doing to the uncles 944 wont happen to any other you find. After all they arent getting any newer with each passing year.
So, now what I'm trying to understand is that mileage shouldn't really be a primary factor in the car because at this point, these cars are nearing 30 and I shouldn't really worry about it, rather, I should just look at the mechanical wear and just repair and replace parts as the go?

Furthermore, what else I'm getting is that 300,000 miles isn't really important and that my craigslist searches, as thorough as they may be, are actually fruitless and pointless. And that regardless of the car I find, it'll most likely need work regardless of the papers and documents that say work has been done. This is what you're telling me correct?

And the budget could go up a little, time will tell but still as always, I'll have to wait until next year. I guess we can close this thread if it's better to just continue the other and set some sort of record with it
Old 12-10-2013, 10:38 PM
Dougs951S
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Intruder196
Sorry, but this is bad advice. Nobody here should be telling Young Padawan Karl to buy a car with 300k on the clock when there are a million other cars out there with 1/3 the mileage for the same money or less. It isnt an issue of maintenance being up to date or not, so his ability to fix it is moot. The fact is, with 300k on the clock those rings and bores, not to mention the head is going to have a lot of mechanical wear no matter how well the belts, clutch, waterpump, ect were looked after. And please, nobody say "after 300k a 944 is just getting broken in" because no...porsche doesnt build magic engines now, and they sure didn't in the 80's. They wear like any other alusil engine..go ask a BMW owner how his motor is doing after 300k.

I'll also state again for the record that his uncle's car is NOT worth 4k. Half that would be much more realistic.

Last edited by Dougs951S; 12-10-2013 at 11:31 PM.
Old 12-10-2013, 10:57 PM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 295 Likes on 231 Posts

So, now what I'm trying to understand is that mileage shouldn't really be a primary factor in the car because at this point, these cars are nearing 30 and I shouldn't really worry about it, rather, I should just look at the mechanical wear and just repair and replace parts as the go?

Furthermore, what else I'm getting is that 300,000 miles isn't really important and that my craigslist searches, as thorough as they may be, are actually fruitless and pointless. And that regardless of the car I find, it'll most likely need work regardless of the papers and documents that say work has been done. This is what you're telling me correct?

And the budget could go up a little, time will tell but still as always, I'll have to wait until next year. I guess we can close this thread if it's better to just continue the other and set some sort of record with it
You are going to get a lot of differing advise, the one common thing is buy the best example you can afford and have money set aside for immediate and long-term maintenance.

A 300k car wouldn't bother me at the right price, but I've been around these cars a few years and know how to fix them myself. I'd be more cautious of a 50k car with a high price tag.

Really though, do your research, take heed of the advise here and make your own mind up. Either way we are here to help you through any issues you have.
Old 12-10-2013, 10:58 PM
Intruder196
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jimmy-Jacking? But I thought it was a bad idea? That was kinda the idea everyone gave me from what I remember. To not do family business and go out and find my own
Originally Posted by Dougs951S
Sorry, but this is bad advice. Nobody here should be telling Young Padawan Karl to buy a car with 300k on the clock when there are a million other cars out there with 1/3 the mileage for the same money or less.

I'll also state again for the record that his uncle's car is NOT worth 4k. Half that would be much more realistic.
He will end up making expensive repairs no matter what 944 he buys.
Old 12-10-2013, 10:59 PM
Cuda911
Race Director

Received 441 Likes on 284 Posts

Exactly.

It's taken 300 posts, but we've nailed down the main problem, and it's Karl's uncle. Trying to screw some poor kid out of all his newspaper money. He should be ashamed.
Old 12-10-2013, 11:03 PM
Karl_W944
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Cuda911
Exactly.

It's taken 300 posts, but we've nailed down the main problem, and it's Karl's uncle. Trying to screw some poor kid out of all his newspaper money. He should be ashamed.
Ashamed? How can we know for sure? He's an awesome uncle and he would NOT try to "screw me over". someone did mention that maybe he's new to the 944 market and may not know that much about selling one beyond documentation and other such things. Also on a lighter note, I work in retail

Last edited by Karl_W944; 12-11-2013 at 01:47 AM. Reason: HE WOULD NOT SCREW ME OVER
Old 12-10-2013, 11:33 PM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 87 Likes on 50 Posts

has any of the posters on this thread have $ 20.00 bucks to spare?
Old 12-10-2013, 11:34 PM
bonus12
Three Wheelin'

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Ashamed? How can we know for sure? He's an awesome uncle and he would try to "screw me over". someone did mention that maybe he's new to the 944 market and may not know that much about selling one beyond documentation and other such things. Also on a lighter note, I work in retail
So bargain it to $3500, like you said you could. I assume your uncle is nice enough to talk about the car with you all the time, and maybe he'll make a trip out to see you and the car, from his home. This is an incredible bonding experience and it's worth $3500, but I'm still assuming you're going to get a memorable bonding experience.

Will you or will you not be talking with your uncle about the car, after you bought it? If NO, then bargain to $2500 like a smart nephew, and make the car yours.

Mileage is not the primary concern, it's CONDITION. How it runs, turns, stops, sounds, smells, looks, ... etc. CONDITION.

Do you really want to wait 6 months for a car that might not be any good? Your uncle's car sounds good. Why not give us more info about your uncle's car, such as way more pics of engine and interior, and recent maintenance.
Old 12-10-2013, 11:37 PM
Karl_W944
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by lart951
has any of the posters on this thread have $ 20.00 bucks to spare?
What for?
Old 12-10-2013, 11:43 PM
Karl_W944
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bonus12
So bargain it to $3500, like you said you could. I assume your uncle is nice enough to talk about the car with you all the time, and maybe he'll make a trip out to see you and the car, from his home. This is an incredible bonding experience and it's worth $3500, but I'm still assuming you're going to get a memorable bonding experience.

Will you or will you not be talking with your uncle about the car, after you bought it? If NO, then bargain to $2500 like a smart nephew, and make the car yours.

Mileage is not the primary concern, it's CONDITION. How it runs, turns, stops, sounds, smells, looks, ... etc. CONDITION.

Do you really want to wait 6 months for a car that might not be any good?
What I meant to say is that he would NOT screw me over! Didn't see that for the longest time.

I mean if I can talk it down to $2500 that'd be sweet. But I know he loves the car as much as I do, maybe even more. I feeling that it isn't right to separate him from something he loves so much. My moral values even apply to cars. There really is an emotional connection/bond between a car and it's driver and I don't want to split it. It feels even worse if I were to do that to a family member. That's why I'll continue my searches elsewhere and if nothing, his will always be there.

Also in terms of waiting, the way I see it, since NY is closer than CA, I could(not sure yet) go up and see the car in March, whereas going to CA somehow became a family vacation and that will have to happen when I'm out of classes in July.
Old 12-10-2013, 11:55 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

you had a very good thread there, and massive amounts of help.

now we need a mod to do a thread combine.
Old 12-10-2013, 11:57 PM
Karl_W944
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by odurandina
you had a very good thread there, and massive amounts of help.

now we need a mod to do a thread combine.
How do we do that?
Anybody good with PC programming or moderation on a forum??
If it's even possible.
Old 12-11-2013, 12:02 AM
Dougs951S
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

OD, put up a new avatar! I need a new pair to look at while I'm browsing

Quick Reply: Karl_W944 and the Search for the Perfect 944 :Burnout: