Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2016, 07:57 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts
Default 9m11RS Part 1: Regeneration

Hi, it's me again, back with another Ninemeister build thread which I think you will all enjoy. Well, when I say build thread, what I actually mean is build threads plural because I'm going to post two takes on the same theme, the 9m11RS, which in simple terms is Ninemeister's interpretation of how to build the perfect 2.7RS homage. Now I realise that when it comes to RS look-alike projects there is probably nothing that hasn't been done or seen before, however what we learned from these two projects is how the customer's interpretations of their perfect "RS" can result in radically different results and secondly how much the choice of donor car affects the work required to achieve their goals. I hope you enjoy the journeys as much as we have.

This thread is Part 1 which I have titled "The Regeneration". It follows the story of a 911SC from the moment it was driven into our shop as a recently converted 2.7RS replica, during the strip down to the discovery of the problems which lay beneath its shiny paint and then through subsequent ground up restoration to the finished 9m11RS. As with most things 9m, this one is probably the most thorough and extensive SC body restorations that you will ever see. Enjoy.

Last edited by NineMeister; 09-26-2016 at 10:09 PM.
Old 09-26-2016, 08:18 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

This is where it all began.

The owner Dave had recently purchased his 2.7RS replica, based on a UK registered RHD 1981 911SC. Safe in the knowledge that he had an invoice from the supplying dealer describing the car as a "911 2.7RS conversion .... freshly converted ... all rust dealt with...", Dave had concerns over the closure and fit of the doors so brought it down to Ninemeister's Bank Quay premises for a quick inspection and for us to evaluate whether we could correct the panel fits through adjustment. Suffice to say, the poor old SC needed a lot more than adjustment as you are about to witness.
Attached Images  
Old 09-26-2016, 08:23 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

A quick walk-around with the camera pointed out a few of the more immediately noticeable issues:
Attached Images           
Old 09-26-2016, 08:36 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

It was immediately apparent that the door adjustment issue required a lot more than the adjustment that the owner was hoping for, in fact we doubt that he expected our quotation of £10,000 per side to sort it out. What he could not see at the time was that repairing this SC was going to take some intensive body surgery to remove the rot that remained in the shell. Fortunately he trusted our judgement much more than that of the garage he purchased it from and after a few months deliberating decided to let us loose on the repair.
Attached Images  
Old 09-26-2016, 08:43 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Initial strip down revealed a few more of the SC's hidden secrets:
Attached Images           
Old 09-26-2016, 08:57 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

As with most 9m jobs, loading the bare shell onto our Celette bracket jig is the first stage of the process, whether for full restoration or an more straightforward RS conversion. No point in spending hundreds of hours building a bent bodyshell, is there?

Working on a clean shell pays dividends maintaining a clean working environment, so out came the steam cleaner to rid the underside of road grime and salt. We had a clue to what to expect next when Robin blew steam through the inner wing....
Attached Images    
Old 09-26-2016, 09:29 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Wow. Anyone that is so willingly blind as to purchase that car deserves the pain of an expensive redux. Fortunately it's in very capable hands. Keep 'em coming.
Old 09-27-2016, 09:56 AM
09mageec
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Definitely keeping an eye on this thread. Can't wait to see the finished product.

What were the miles on this shell?
Old 09-27-2016, 12:34 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by 09mageec
Definitely keeping an eye on this thread. Can't wait to see the finished product.

What were the miles on this shell?
The SC had clocked 174,000 miles at this point.
Old 09-27-2016, 12:49 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Quarter panels and wings removed did not improve our opinion of the previous "restoration".

Suffice to say that armed with these photos, an engineers report from myself and the help from a solicitor friend, the owner sought and received suitable compensation from the dealer who sold him the car, very much to the dealer's credit I must say.
Attached Images             
Old 09-27-2016, 01:22 PM
09mageec
Racer

This is starting to scare me lol.
Old 09-27-2016, 01:48 PM
AP997S
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

To quote somebody . . . . . "Rust Never Sleeps"
Old 09-27-2016, 02:21 PM
09mageec
Racer

Question. How is rust able to progress when these bodies are galvanized? Does the zinc coating break down over time?
Old 09-27-2016, 02:33 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

LOLzzz Time to buy stock in Restoration Design Inc.
Old 09-27-2016, 03:38 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by 09mageec
Question. How is rust able to progress when these bodies are galvanized? Does the zinc coating break down over time?
The zinc galvanising is a sacrificial anode that erodes to protect the steel once electrolytic corrosion starts, usually due to the presence of water which has penetrated the under body paint or sealant. Since the sealant is bonded to the zinc, once the zinc starts to erode away the sealant forms a hollow cavity that collects more water which continues the corrosion and eventually begins attacking the steel. Some areas (like the front edge of the kidney bowls) are masked from the factory sealant gun, hence they have nominal paint coverage and begin erosion/corrosion earlier in the life of the car.

Quick Reply: 9m11RS Part 1: Regeneration