Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire Rack Issues (Don't Recommend them)

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2017, 10:09 PM
gtreddy
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Tire Rack Issues (Don't Recommend them)

So, I've thought more than I should on whether I should actually post this. But I was urged by a few rennlist members I've met at track days that I should because their experience has not been dissimilar. Given it was a while ago, people still tell me I should say something, so I decided to.

Summary of my story: I was looking for 19" wheels originally as track wheels. I kind of realized the tire options for that size weren't ideal, so I decided to buy 19" BBS CH-R wheels with RE-11's as my daily wheels and just run cup 2's (re-71'a were not yet available in oem sizing.) on the OEM 20's. These were wheels recommend by Tire Rack on their website. After less than 500 street miles, I had significant scoring on my calipers. I was not happy with this, and messaged tire rack. The response I got is attached. Pretty much, the manger accused me of tracking the car with these specific wheels, even though I did not. Her evidence was a Facebook post I made saying “I can’t wait to track the car” the day I bought it. She even went so far as to claim I’d been off track and that's what caused the damage. And since I had never used these wheels, at that time, to track, she was clearly making an assumption since no picture would show these wheels. I messaged Damon as the tire rack representative on this forum, and he said he couldn’t do anything. I even sent them pictures showing their measurements were incorrect (using a thickness gauge), however they said they couldn’t do anything. The interesting part is that after my issue, they no longer are showing the 19” BBS CH-R as compatible wheels for the GT4, so it seems they eventually figured out they should not be recommending these wheels as OEM replacements given the tolerances.

I feel stupid for Email 7, because I should have known what she was talking about, but for some reason, when I saw that email, I thought she meant alignment.

But, take it as you will. Perhaps I made some incorrect assumptions, and people will point that out, but I do feel Tire Rack screwed me. They also then realized the mistake, and pulled the recommendation for the car without some sort of compensation. I go through a set of track tires every other month, I spent $5.5K in 1 month with these two purchases, and then I'm blatantly accused of lying based off incorrect assumptions of their customer service manager. Am I missing something?

For people that don't want to sift through all the emails. The email sent from the CSR Bonnie Witkowski:

"That is not what your facebook page seems to show and other racing posts found.

Our hardware support technician advised that this vehicle has a fixed caliper with about 4mm of clearance with the front wheel. The photos you sent show that the wheels have a lot of brake dust for less than a month of use, which would be something you may see at a track event if the vehicle spun off the track.

We have put these wheels on three other exact cars without any issue, so the fitment should be correct as long as nothing has been modified.

The only offer we can make is for the 20% off replacement wheels, but we would not be able to warranty the wheels on this order."

My Response:

"To be honest, I’m a little surprised and disappointed in your response for the following reasons:

What I do with my car while the wheels I purchased from you are not on it, are irrelevant. In fact if you look at any of my posts/pictures for track days, you will see the stock wheels on it. The wheels and tires I purchased were for STREET use, not race use. Also the car is 100% OEM.
If you look at my recent purchases on Tire Rack’s website you will see I purchased race compound tires (Pilot Sport Cup 2’s) for my factory wheels, since I use my factory wheels when I take the car to the track. The tires and wheels I purchased from you were RE11 street tires. Not to mention, I also spent money on tire pressure sensors and black tire stems (aesthetics), items that are not typically put onto race wheels.
As I mentioned in a previous email, the wheels were dirty from rain we had when I took them off. I was in the process of cleaning them when I noticed the issue. Also, FACTORY GT4 pads are race compound pads and dust quite a bit.
I’m not even sure what to say about the assumption I tracked and spun off track with these wheels. Considering these have never been on a track, I’m not sure what say.
To prove these have never been on track, I have taken a picture of all the tires on the wheels I purchased from you where you can see the wheel (just so there is no confusion) and also included a picture of what a tire looks like that has been tracked (the tires I purchased were replacements for the ones in the picture). Note the excessive shoulder wear and rubber build up on the tire as well as heat cycling color change.

Race Tire:

<image001.jpg>

Street Tire:

<image002.jpg>

At this point, it seems the customer service department is clearly more interested in false accusations. To be frank, you went as far as looking into my Facebook profile and posts (which is fair game, but you won’t find a picture of my car with the 19” BBS wheels at the track because I never took them there) to find a hole in my story, when my purchase history with you the last 2 months should have made it obvious. I definitely wasn’t expecting that from a Customer Service Representative."

"Also, I decided to put them back on tonight to see if your claims for clearance are true. And they are not. You said in an earlier email there was 4mm of clearance. My gauge shows there isn’t even 3mm. of clearance.
IMG_0602.JPGIMG_0596.JPG"

EDIT: Removed Email attachments due to some confidentiality issues. I can provide if wanted by someone.

Last edited by gtreddy; 06-08-2017 at 10:39 AM.
Old 09-14-2017, 12:53 PM
Brian C in Az
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Standard warranty

On every aftermarket wheel that I have purchased was a sticker advising to check fit and clearance BEFORE mounting the tires. Once tires are mounted, you own the wheels and only factory defects are warranted.
Buying wheels and tires premounted online is a bad decision unless you know someone who has the exact same wheel on the exact same car.

Sorry for your bad experience. Expensive lesson learned.

NEVER mount a tire on a new wheel until you mount the wheel on the car and are 100% sure that all is correct.

Quick Reply: Tire Rack Issues (Don't Recommend them)