Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wheel Lock Nuts

Old 02-15-2017, 12:51 PM
SecaBlue
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Wheel Lock Nuts

Hi, so the dealer sourced some genuine Porsche Wheel Lock bolts for my 996TT, and I want to install them... maybe it is a stupid question but can I simply undo one bolt on each wheel while the car is parked on a flat surface, and then put the lock bolts on, or should the wheels be off the ground before I torque the bolt? And I am assuming I just torque it by hand as tight as possible?

Thanks!
Old 02-21-2017, 05:32 PM
Wheel Dynamics
Former Vendor

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Yes, you can do that.....

You will not have any issues, your bumper and wheels will not fall off either....

Have a nice day!

Old 02-21-2017, 09:57 PM
JayG
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by SecaBlue
Hi, so the dealer sourced some genuine Porsche Wheel Lock bolts for my 996TT, and I want to install them... maybe it is a stupid question but can I simply undo one bolt on each wheel while the car is parked on a flat surface, and then put the lock bolts on, or should the wheels be off the ground before I torque the bolt? And I am assuming I just torque it by hand as tight as possible?

Thanks!
No, get a torque wrench and torque them to 96 ftlbs
Old 03-02-2017, 04:01 AM
trackstar
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yea dont just crank down on them and hope for the best, Bad things will happen if you start snapping these lug studs.
Old 03-05-2017, 11:01 PM
Verboden
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Also there is a cross pattern for tightening. See http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars...ount-of-force/

You are probably OK to do the job without jacking the vehicle. Personally I would slightly loosen all lugs, replace the special one and then do as the article and others suggest about using a torque wrench.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Wheel Lock Nuts