Notices
Wheel and Tire Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Options for square 17 x 9 set-up for 968?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2014, 03:48 PM
Cloud9...68
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Options for square 17 x 9 set-up for 968?

I've gone back and forth on this quite a bit, and am back to considering changing out my staggered 18" wheel set-up set-up for a square 17 x 9 set-up on my 1992 968 mostly-track car. There's actually a better selection of highly-rated extreme performance summer tires and streetable racing tires in this size than for my current wheel set-up, and for far less cost, and since I plan to increase my seat time quite a bit near term, I'm going to be putting a lot of wear on my tires.

I've spent a lot of time exploring my (very limited) options in Porsche's oddball 5 x 130 mm bolt pattern. Other than very expensive custom wheels (like the gorgeous Forgeline GA3R), there doesn't seem to be much of anything available in 17". This leaves me with Porsche-issued wheels, which tend to be on the heavy side, plus it's hard to find a set of four. Does anybody have any suggestions that I may have overlooked as far as a reasonable source for a set of four wheels in this size, ideally at under 20 lb per wheel, in the, say, $200 - $300 range, that will stand up to track use? My favorite among the Porsche wheels, at least aesthetically, is the Model 67268, but they're uber-rare, and I don't see them listed in the table of Porsche wheel weights, so I have no idea how much they weigh. Thanks.
Old 07-01-2014, 08:00 PM
steve g
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Andrew, I would recommend running 4 - 17 x 9 Cup2 wheels. The Cup2 wheels are plentiful since they were OEM for both 993 and 968 cars. I never saw a MY02 5 spoke 17 in wheel that you mentioned, only 18 in. Here is another Porsche wheel to consider - it is a Boxster wheel and it is available in 9 in - http://www.wheelenhancement.com/inde...elDetail&id=35
Old 07-01-2014, 09:21 PM
Cloud9...68
Burning Brakes

Steve,

Thanks for the response - how is your project coming? I've been taking my car to the track regularly - the set-up is working great - which means the end of the life of my current Hankook R-S3's is within sight, thus the subject of this thread. I should have done more homework before buying the wheels I have - I know it's a good set-up, but for someone like me who isn't planning to race competitively anytime soon, the cost of replacement tires is a tough pill to swallow.

Thanks for the recommendations. That may be the route I end up going. You're right - there are a few sets of both of the wheels you mention for sale. But one problem is that they always sell in staggered sets, which means I'd have to buy two complete sets, and then sell the four extra 17 x 7's, which may be a little challenging. The other thing I have heartburn over is that both of these wheels weigh as much or more than my current 18-inchers. Not by a whole lot, and I know a 17" wheel is going to give less weight at the all-important periphery, especially if I run low profile tires, but still, I have a heard time stomaching replacing a set of wheels with one that's heavier. Just seems wrong. Oh. well, I need to sleep on this a little more.
Old 07-10-2014, 09:41 AM
FrenchToast
Three Wheelin'

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts

What is wheel model 67268? MY02?

I would check out CCW.

Formula43 is a new brand also, some teams use them in GrandAm (or whatever the series is called now). Teams also use CCW as well. And of course others.
Old 07-10-2014, 06:25 PM
Cloud9...68
Burning Brakes

Model 67268 appears to be vaporware. It shows up on some sites that market replica Porsche wheels, and I called them all, but nobody has them. It looks like a 17" version of the beautiful (IMO) 18" 5-spoke model 997.362.140.01. But as far as I can tell, they don't actually exist, at least not on this planet we call home.

CCW doesn't make anything in 17", and they and Formula43 are WAY too expensive for my purposes, which is noncompetitive track days. The primary reason for my interest in a square 17" set-up is to save money on tires, as they tend to be a lot cheaper than 18", and being able to rotate them front to back should extend their usable life.
Old 07-10-2014, 10:54 PM
FrenchToast
Three Wheelin'

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts

Oh. I didn't know Formula43 were so expensive. So how do you know about model 67268 if it doesn't exist on Earth?

CCW has plenty of offerings in 17". Maybe not one-piece though. Lots of multipiece ones in 17". Even some in 16" and 15" too.
Old 07-10-2014, 11:12 PM
Cloud9...68
Burning Brakes

I found model 67268 in a random google search, but when I call the sites that showed them, none of them had them, and they all told me "It's very rare that we get those in." My theory is that they are replicas that were made for a short time, but are no longer available. Someone on Rennlist inquired about them a few years ago, but nobody could present any evidence that they actually exist. They're definitely not a factory Porsche wheel.

And you're right, CCW does make some wheels in 17". They don't post their weights, but the only 17" I found on their site are 3-piece, and the look heavy. Plus, they're pretty pricey; I could get a complete set of 17 x 9" turbo twists for the price of one CCW, and I suspect they weigh about the same.
Old 07-11-2014, 08:16 AM
veleno
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

You can pick up a used set of 3 piece wheels (hre, ccw, fikse, etc) and replace either the barrel, lip, or both to get it to 9" widths.

You might also be able to convert your 18" wheels to 17" as sometimes the centers are the same and changing the lips/barrels make them the smaller/larger sizes.
Old 08-14-2014, 08:31 PM
doppelganger
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Too bad you don't want 16x9's I have a set of six of the funky 993 winter wheels.

Quick Reply: Options for square 17 x 9 set-up for 968?