Used Tires

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2014, 11:04 AM
MtnFlyer
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Used Tires

Hello all,

I'm going to look at a couple of used tires I found on CL this Tuesday and I was wondering...

If I'm not mistaken tires have a manufacture date somewhere on the sidewall so it got me thinking. Do high performance tires have a shelf life? Should I avoid older tires even if they are new/unmounted?

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPad using Rennlist
Old 03-02-2014, 11:53 AM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts

Yes, tires (all tires) have a shelf life; there are a number of variables (UV exposure, storage temperature, etc), but even in the most ideal conditions, I wouldn't use a tire more than 5 years old. Not to mention that tire technology itself changes, and there have been several recent advances: new models of tires manufactured today are quite simply better than those manufactured 5 or 10 years ago. Nothing inherently wrong or bad with used tires, though; it's actually quite common among to buy used racing tires in the racing community- several of the best competition tires are fastest when they're brand new, used once, and sold after just one event.

In summation, you should totally buy my old ZI Star Specs before they get too old to sell
Old 03-02-2014, 01:14 PM
MtnFlyer
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sjfehr
Yes, tires (all tires) have a shelf life; there are a number of variables (UV exposure, storage temperature, etc), but even in the most ideal conditions, I wouldn't use a tire more than 5 years old. Not to mention that tire technology itself changes, and there have been several recent advances: new models of tires manufactured today are quite simply better than those manufactured 5 or 10 years ago. Nothing inherently wrong or bad with used tires, though; it's actually quite common among to buy used racing tires in the racing community- several of the best competition tires are fastest when they're brand new, used once, and sold after just one event. In summation, you should totally buy my old ZI Star Specs before they get too old to sell
Haha. Nice. Not familiar with the ZI Star. Will have to look that up.

Thanks for the info though.

Sent from my iPad using Rennlist
Old 03-02-2014, 06:49 PM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts

Dunlop Z1 Star Spec are an extreme performance summer street tire, 200TW, and good for daily driving as well as very good for autocross/track; they were discontinued last year for the Dunlop ZII.

Quick Reply: Used Tires