Sponsored by:

How do you paint race wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2014, 06:08 PM
racingrich
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do you paint race wheels?

I have a frustrating puzzle that I hope you can shed light upon..I have several sets of track wheels that I have painted like I paint other body parts. I first sand them, then prime them with primer, then I paint them with a car paint color and then followed up with a clear coat. They look great, but as soon as I take them to the track the red hub centers and half way down the arms of the wheels turn black which I can't remove. It seems to be heat generated. Has anyone had this happen before or know how the race teams paint their wheels so this doesn't happen?
Old 02-04-2014, 08:05 PM
lopro
Banned

post a couple of pics to better help solve the puzzle
Old 02-05-2014, 06:00 PM
racingrich
Track Day

Here are some pictures. It looks like dirt or brake dust, but I can't remove it.

I keep thinking my brakes are burning the paint, but I haven't heard of others having this issue with the Spec Boxsters and I can't find any discussions of people using special paint on race wheels. I have a second set which are red and have the same color change, but on my 997, I had powder coated blue which stayed factory fresh after years of track days

Thanks

Richard
Attached Images   
Old 02-05-2014, 06:26 PM
jim dorociak
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have seen that on center lock Speedline race wheels. I have always assumed it was the high heat causing the literal burn of the painted surface. jdorociak@gmail.com jim
Old 02-07-2014, 09:13 AM
racingrich
Track Day

thanks for the response.

It almost seems like I need to use to engine or high temp paint, but I don't see anyone suggesting that in the forums and I am sure the cup cars generate more heat than my 986. The only thing I can think would be different is maybe the primers are less stable or heat resistant.
Old 02-17-2014, 06:24 PM
Racer

I wrote an article last year about race wheels. The best suggestion was to use rattle can paint. Don't laugh - it works right at the track between sessions.

I think you've most likely got brake pad material melting into the wheel. I've had it melt right into my aluminum wheels. It is around 1100 degrees when it leave the pad.

Here's the article.

Richard Newton
Race Car Images
Old 03-04-2014, 04:23 PM
South Bend Clutch
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by 73911
The best suggestion was to use rattle can paint. Don't laugh - it works right at the track between sessions.
CCW matched their satin black to a Duplicolor paint for that exact reason. Track-side maintenance.

Quick Reply: How do you paint race wheels?