Sponsored by:

Pirelli Scorpion Winter @ Tire Rack

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2012, 10:32 PM
steve_Cayenne
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Pirelli Scorpion Winter @ Tire Rack

A good winter tire choice for the Cayenne 18" rims would be the Pirelli Scorpion Ice & Snow. I had them on my X5 and they served me well, and they would be available in "N-spec" for my new Cayenne.

However Pirelli seems to have developed a new SUV model, the "Scorpion Winter" which show available on Tire Rack, but they do not indicate "N-spec" for Porsche in any size (or particularity 255/55/18)

According to the Pirelli Marketing speak, they sound like a great improvement (and I assume a replacment for the old Ice&Snow):

http://www.autoserviceworld.com/news...ce/1001637198/

"the Scorpion Winter tire has been developed in close collaboration with well-known manufacturers, in particular Porsche and Volkswagen, who have shared information and technology to best respond to the complex needs of their range-topping vehicles."

Question for Tire Rack:
Since these were "Developed in collaboration with Porsche" ... will they be available in N-spec this season?
Old 09-05-2012, 08:46 PM
steve_Cayenne
Racer

Called Pirelli today, the product guy was not particularly insightful ... he basically read from the product sheets:

- 2012 "Scorpion Ice&Snow" product sheet shows available in N-spec.
- 2012 "Scorpion Winter" product sheet makes no mention of N-spec, or OE.
- Both models considered current for this season (he had no idea if the Ice&Snow would be obsoleted)
- Nothing indicated if/when "Scorpion Winter" would be N-spec.

When I mentioned the marketing information states the "Scorpion Winter" was designed in collaboration with Porsche, he had no further information about that.

Tire Rack, any further info over above?

I am leaning towards the more modern Scorpion Winter (non-N), vs the Scorpion Ice&Snow (N) which is a 10year old design. Any opinions?
Old 09-23-2012, 04:12 PM
tmack2012
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the effort Steve. I am just pondering this myself. Got a quote from our local Porsche sales guy - 18" winter tire/rim set $3200 + tax. The pic he sent was the base Cayenne rim. He is waiting til Monday to talk to the parts guys re. what tire it is. I threw out the info on the new Pirelli Scorpion Winter. I think you have to be a bit of an aficionado to be up on this, particularly given what you're describing re. the Pirelli rep's lack of knowledge about all this.

Do you or anybody know if the Porsche dealers will mount non N-spec tires? Or if Porsche somehow washes its hand of liability or mechanical issues that could be attributable?

I agree, I would probably prefer the updated Scorpion Winters but the lack of N-spec rating looks like it could be problematic.

Check out the link below:

http://www.trucktrend.com/roadtests/...e_9/index.html

The trucktrend folks were not able to get non N-spec tires mounted by their OPC.
Old 09-23-2012, 09:45 PM
steve_Cayenne
Racer

Regarding dealer giving people a hard time for not having N-spec tires, I have read about it going both ways on forums. No personal experience myself, and in my case would be mounted by an independent tire shop. Called my local tire shop, and he also does not show any N-spec for the "Winter", just the "Ice&Snow".

To add to the dilemma, check out the Pirelli "winter testing" video here:
http://www.pirelli.com/tyre/ww/en/su...ia-gallery-CNT

Or the "feature vehicle" on their brochure:
http://www.pirelli.com/mediaObject/p...corpWinter.pdf

Clearly this is being marketed as "THE" winter tire for Porsche Cayenne!
Old 11-13-2013, 10:42 PM
dntlvet
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This thread is a year old but I need winter tires and would GREATLY appreciate any new information
Old 12-09-2013, 10:14 AM
brad@tirerack.com
Former Vendor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm sorry I did not see this thread sooner. Please give me a call, I'm happy to help.

Quick Reply: Pirelli Scorpion Winter @ Tire Rack